Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

beware: E10 petrol can damage cellulose paint

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
I thought I'd post up a problem I've encountered with E10 petrol, in that it appears to eat away cellulose paint when splashed on it.
Now it may be that the cellulose in question was only applied a month ago but I still think this is an issue worth highlighting.
The passenger side rear wing on my traveller caught on one of the posts on my temporary Clarke tent garage a while back and got pushed out of shape. I reshaped it and resprayed it but didn't like the finish, so I rubbed it down and repainted it a few weeks ago.
Finding it acceptable this time, I allowed time for the paint to harden off, after which I 'T' cut and polished it a week ago.
Yesterday I took it to a well known supermarket to refill the tank. However when the petrol filler 'clicked' (cut) off, indicating that the sensor had registered my tank as full, it also created a 'splash back' out of the filler neck, which landed on my aforementioned rear wing, eating into the paint, as per the picture below.
It should be noted that this picture was taken after I had attempted to clean it off and tried 'T' cutting and polishing it out.
In response to this I have created a petrol neck filler neck 'bib', which you see in the other two pictures.
It is easy to make, being simply 2 sheets of laminate plastic, one reduced in size after passing through my laminator, so it then fits inside the other, which is then also passed through the laminator to seal it all together.
A hole punch was then used to create a series of holes for a zip tie to be passed through. This was then joined to a second zip tie to give sufficient length for it to shape the plastic laminate sheet in such a way as to (hopefully) kick any petrol splashes away from my bodywork in future.
Best wishes,
Mike.
E10 Damaged Cellulose paint on Traveller rear wing (2).jpg
E10 Damaged Cellulose paint on Traveller rear wing (2).jpg (991.96 KiB) Viewed 1130 times
Petrol filler pipe 'bib' 1.JPG
Petrol filler pipe 'bib' 1.JPG (1.07 MiB) Viewed 1130 times
Petrol filler pipe 'bib' 2.JPG
Petrol filler pipe 'bib' 2.JPG (1.03 MiB) Viewed 1130 times
Last edited by jagnut66 on Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
KeithL
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: beware: E10 petrol can damage cellulose paint

Post by KeithL »

Thanks for the warning. I like your 'bib'. I might knock one of those up as well, just in case.

Bowie69
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: beware: E10 petrol can damage cellulose paint

Post by Bowie69 »

Normal petrol will take off cellulose paint that isn't fully cured, so not sure we can quite blame this on E10.