Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
barry young
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Fuel pipe pump to carb ID?

Post by barry young »

I found, underneath the breading my fuel pipe from the pump to the carb was full of little cracks. That’s where the smell of petrol was coming from. Seems better to just get an unbranded section from the local car accessory shop. Anyone know the internal diameter for the pipe on an early 1000?
Barry
barry young
Minor Friendly

Re: Fuel pipe pump to carb ID?

Post by barry young »

Noticed that “braided “ and “un braided” were both auto - corrected in I’m post!
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

I think it’s 1/4 inch, 6mm. I don’t like braided hose as you cannot examine the state of the rubber. Make sure the hose is compatible with E10 fuel. I think my hose came from SU when I was ordering some other parts but any decent motor factors should be able to supply suitable hose. Secure the hose with jubilee clips or the clips may be supplied with the hose if pre-packed and cut to size. The genuine SU braided hose is now over £50 from ESM!!!!
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Here is the pipe you want, and it is marked as suitable for unleaded fuel

https://www.morrisminorspares.com/fuel- ... ps-p830666

svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Exactly the one I have. Quality seems excellent

Stephen
kevin s
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by kevin s »

I use cohline 2240 injection hose on everything now, probably overkill and around £15 a metre but it has a superb reputation, has lasted well on my cars and I consider it cheap insurance.
barry young
Minor Friendly

Post by barry young »

Thanks for the replies everyone. I’ll start at the local motor factors for some 1/4 internal diameter hose that’s rated for E10. Definitely not going for braided again. No way of telling what’s going on with the rubber.
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

kevin s wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:12 pm I use cohline 2240 injection hose on everything now, probably overkill and around £15 a metre but it has a superb reputation, has lasted well on my cars and I consider it cheap insurance.
Yes that's very good hose and rated for E15. The nominal 1/4" ID (5.5mm) is code 2240.0400 and has an OD of 11.5mm. It is aramid reinforced within the wall and rated for way beyond the pressure from a LP SU pump.

Stephen
mobylette
Minor Fan

Post by mobylette »

I have had evidence of a small fuel leak with stains under my fuel pump but couldn't see the source. Had a better look today and with ignition/pump on I watched the area and saw the leak from the fuel pipe connection to the pump, link to slightly out of focus video attached. Damage to the pipe is hidden by the braiding. I have the cohline pipe on order, hopefully arriving today. I will post a pic of the old pipe when I remove.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FQXV8b2qdQfccNZK8
mobylette
Minor Fan

Post by mobylette »

Petrol pipe.jpg
Petrol pipe.jpg (64.07 KiB) Viewed 3862 times
So the old pipe looked fine until stretched, totally knackered.
taupe
Minor Legend

Post by taupe »

Maybe its just me but..

I see the need to replace the old cracked rubber hose and it is a service item.....but surely the braiding is provided for abrasion and heat protection so should be retained as an essential safety item...?

eg https://www.mcgillmotorsport.com/stainl ... c-15-p-413

Taupe
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

I don't know of any production cars which have stainless braided hose and minors didn't originaly, make sure it's not rubbing on any sharp edges and inspect it for damage every service and you will be fine.
taupe
Minor Legend

Post by taupe »

kevin s wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:27 pm I don't know of any production cars which have stainless braided hose and minors didn't originaly....
Yes Kevin

You are correct none used stainless braided hoses...but metal braided fuel hoses were fitted to ALL minors after car no #666689 these would be copper or galvanised steel braiding for heat dispersion and abrasion resistance...Ive seen several Minors burnt out caused by plastic fuel lines and plastic fuel filters inappropriately fitted.

Part No ACA 5520 Pipe pump to carb metal braided.....

Taupe
Last edited by taupe on Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob the dog
Minor Friendly

Post by Bob the dog »

Could the fuel hose from the pump to the carb be replaced with copper pipe like that used from the tank to the pump thereby minimising the amount of rubber hose??
Bob the dog
Minor Friendly

Post by Bob the dog »

svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Bob the dog wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:00 pm Could the fuel hose from the pump to the carb be replaced with copper pipe like that used from the tank to the pump thereby minimising the amount of rubber hose??
I don’t think that would work. The engine vibrations would either undo the connections or lead to stress fractures in the copper.

Stephen
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

As the Minor 'A' Series engine is set on flexible mountings you do need to have a flexible pipe between pump and carb for the reasons stated above.

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

40 minutes ..... :o :o
Could write the salient points here in a few sentences....
Attention span of a youtube viewer for that sort of video, about 3 or 4 minutes.

I hope it's not your video...
Basil the 1955 series II

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

svenedin wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:16 pm
Bob the dog wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:00 pm Could the fuel hose from the pump to the carb be replaced with copper pipe like that used from the tank to the pump thereby minimising the amount of rubber hose??
I don’t think that would work. The engine vibrations would either undo the connections or lead to stress fractures in the copper.
Almost certainly fractures.
I can't think of any significant size engine, Piston or Turbine, in a vehicle or stationary, that doesn't have some sort of anti-vibration mounting and therefore a flexible connection in a fuel line.
Especially one that is variable speed, therefore changing torque on the moving parts. The vehicle would be subject to all manner of vibration and stresses without the anti-vibration mountings.
I guess you might get away with it on a small model doing a relatively low rpm, or perhaps a motor cycle. :-?
Basil the 1955 series II

alanworland
Minor Legend

Post by alanworland »

I wouldn't use a braided hose, stick to ethanol proof fuel hose. Years ago I could smell petrol under the Morris bonnet but couldn't see anything visible, discovered it was the hose leaking within the braid and was being spread around the braid weaving by capillary action and was evaporating as fast as it was leaking!

Alan