Any Volvo 240 owners here?

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
James k
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Any Volvo 240 owners here?

Post by James k »

Hi,

I've owned my Traveller since 2014 and used it as my only car in all weather since then. A few years ago I had extensive welding done to the chassis and a year ago I had it resprayed and rewooded.

After a year with the new wood already looking unhappy with the weather, along with water leaks and general fears about living outside in the winter rapidly destroying the car, I'm now thinking about keeping it garaged over the winter and getting a winter car.

My initial thought was a Minor Saloon, then an MGB GT and now a Volvo 240 estate. The Volvo seems like a good compromise between being a 'sensible' and practical car and also having a bit of a classic feel.

Does anyone here own one and if so, are they a decent proposition? I'm thinking mainly about reliability and parts availablity.

Thanks,
James
unclealec
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Any Volvo 240 owners here?

Post by unclealec »

I have had a few. Also the 140 series, very much in the same vein.
Built like battleships. I chopped one up once, and was amazed at the structural integrity. Took me ages to cut through all the strengthening panels.
Mechanically easy to keep on top of, though I avoided the fuel-injection models to keep it simple. Clutch changes were easy, parts easily available but not really cheap.
They were all comfortable, and the estate models capacious.

The only downside that springs to mind is the horrendous thirst for petrol.
Alec Gatherer
Manchester-by-the-Ditch.
James k
Minor Addict

Post by James k »

I did wonder about how thirsty they were. How does it compare to a Moggie?
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

I owned a 240 estate as a modern car in the 1980s. I know that some people love them but I really didn't like mine at all. I didn't find the seats comfortable (wrong shape for me and too hard) and I found it gutless, cumbersome and thirsty. Previously I had owned a Triumph 2500 Estate which I loved. The Volvo was a better load carrier and was better constructed but not nearly as good to drive. Parts were expensive for the Volvo but I cannot comment on the parts situation now. You still see them on the road so there must be a parts supply and probably a club for them too? After my Volvo I owned large estate cars from Mercedes and Audi which were all excellent - and those models are available now at very affordable prices if you look at older cars which have been looked after. The W124 series Mercedes and the C5 Audi A6 are well worth considering.
NETTIE
Minor Fan

Post by NETTIE »

I had 2 on different occasions 240dl saloons they are in my opinion seriously over rated over engineered tanks and if i remember correctly never developed there own engine .
If i were looking for an older estate car i would be considering for a audi 80 estate 1.8 petrol or the brilliant 1.9 d had both outstanding cars
THOSE WHO NEVER DO ANYTHING WRONG NEVER DO ANYTHING
Alan Bude Cornwall
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

The 240 red block engine is bullet proof.
Parts are easily available and cheap on ebay.

I have heard it is best to have the 2.3 litre engine, because the 2 litre strains to get it moving.
James k
Minor Addict

Post by James k »

Okay, they appear to be a bit like Marmite then! I suppose I'm going to have to find one to test drive.

The gas guzzling does put me off a bit but I do like the fact that I've seen ones with close to 300k on the clock for sale.

Thanks for the suggestions of other options to look into. :tu1:
Plin
Minor Fan

Post by Plin »

We have had the big brother Vovlo 740 Estate (a 1980 model) since about 1998. I love it and it is very frequently used but it is indeed a gas guzzler so we don't use it every day but for comfort we always use it for long distance travelling. Parts have not been a great problem and it is not that costly to run in terms of repairs. It is only just now starting to show small signs of rust in a few places and of course the headlining went years ago and it has the dreaded faded red paint so looks tatty but still drives lovely! But ours is the very basic version no electrical windows etc. but also no catalytic converter as it just missed the time they started putting them on. Practical but yep expensive to run as a daily.
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

I’ve had a couple of 740 automatics. Excellent and dependable cars but as others have said quite thirsty.

Just a thought, but if you want a more efficient yet dependable, comfortable modern classic as a daily why not consider something like a Rover 75? Where’s the old Volvos have already appreciated the Rovers are just starting to. You could say the same for the last of the SAABs too, though finding spares for the last generation of the 9-5s is problematic due to a short production span. You’d probably get a lot more for your money.
A bad day with my Volksie still beats a good day at work!

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com
cLunK
Minor Friendly

Post by cLunK »

I have a V70 for sale😉👍
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

I had a late 145 which had the same engine and interior, pretty much, just on a Stromberg carb. The famously bulletproof engine blew up on the new owner a month after I sold it to him. :oops:

The 240s went through a trendy phase and still haven't come down in price I don't think - there is a "scene tax" and you MUST wear plaid shirts when driving it. There are better options if looking to be purely practical. Spares were available but several times the price of comparable Minor items and as mentioned - terrible MPG. I sold mine because it was banktupting me to commute in it.

I might have a 140 or 240 again if I could tune the engine up significantly to at least get some enjoyment from the wallet draining consumption, or swap it completely for something else.

Saab 9-5 Aeros look nice, but don't get a blown up turbo. I've had the diesel Rover 75 and the notorious K-Series 1.8. Both were perfectly fine and preventative measures can be taken if you're scared of the head gasket going. Luxurious although old sound deadening can let the road noise through and the later cheapo mirrors cause wind noise (easily switched for the earlier aerodynamic ones).
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

Any engine will 'blow up' if it is not looked after right.

Plenty of 240's have completed 500,000 miles.

I have never worn a plaid shirt.
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

My father had a new 245DL in 1975. If I could have changed anything, I'd have added the optional overdrive and perhaps an extra carb but it was an excellent car. I do believe it's boot was bigger than my Traveller's boot :wink: . Mind you, it took up a lot of room in the garage.
rocco
Minor Fan

Post by rocco »

I can only echo what everyone else has said. They are a solid old bus, immensely strong, comfortable and plenty of room. The biggest downside that prevents me from having one is the amount it drinks. That and the fact that they cost a few quid now, becoming iconic motors and good ones are commanding a big wedge.

There are plenty of better winter runabouts out there, they may not be as good but they'll be a fraction of the price. An old E46 in good order would probably be my preference.
1961 Morris Minor 1000
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

I was looking for a photo of my father's first MGB GT V8 (Which I am hoping to trace) and came across these of the Volvo. It's hard to credit how much time has passed since those days. If I had room to keep it (It was a good four feet longer than the Morris), I wouldn't mind that car back, though I expect it's long gone. PUB 2 was a number my father acquired and kept when he had a Frazer Nash but I don't know what number the Volvo was allocated when it was sold (I thought it was madness to sell it but I am more of a stick in the mud). It wasn't an exiting car but just very useful and well made. I wish it had overdrive. At the time, my mother had a VW Beetle and the Volvo had a tighter turning circle. It was remarkable in that respect. I think it had all round disc brakes but with a separate handbrake, though after all this time, I could be wrong.

Now if only I had had my Polaroid camera, when we had the first V8, I'd not now need to get a Kodak slide converted.

I noted the original comment regarding the MGB GT. My mother has a 1977 model (So revised suspension and better handling than early rubber bumper models). As an all rounder, it's a damned good car.
Attachments
Volvo 245DL R.jpg
Volvo 245DL R.jpg (24.59 KiB) Viewed 7328 times
Volvo 245DL F.jpg
Volvo 245DL F.jpg (23.88 KiB) Viewed 7328 times
dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

My dad had a 244 when they were new or nearly new and stuck with Volvos for the rest of his life. Most were the 260/760 with 6 cylinder engine and from memory the injection system started to play up after 2 years on most. I've heard than the 4 cylinders were much more reliable than 6 cylinders.

4 cylinders are more numerous being produced for much longer and will be cheaper on fuel.

Also consider Merc W123.