Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

The price of tyres

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
Been a little while since I needed to buy some but the price seems to have escalated, even for (what used to be) the 'cheaper' makes...... :o
Cheapest I can find is £36 a tyre! :o
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Re: The price of tyres

Post by philipkearney »

To be honest Mike, that's a cheap price these days. Nankang tyres are usually the cheap ones and they're about £50 each give or take. I've been trying to find a new set of crossplies for my lowlight and they're nearly a £100 each !
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

Where can you get one for £36 Mike?
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

That's what I will need to budget for then. I did find some slightly cheaper but it will depend on how much 'Camskill' wants for postage.
Where can you get one for £36 Mike?
Links below. I would just buy the tyres from them, if I go to 'Blackcircles', as I normally get them fitted elsewhere locally (cheaper).
Best wishes,
Mike.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead ... EBI&adurl=

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead ... L8C&adurl=

Postscript / edit: I just looked into it and it seems 'Camskill' are cheaper on postage costs.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
liammonty
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by liammonty »

I'm surprised that £36 seems expensive - I know it's all relative, but that seems like very little for a new tyre to me.

I've just had to pay over £240 for ONE new tyre (granted a decent brand one as I don't like to skimp too much on tyres) for a 13 year old Jaguar. You could nearly get two complete sets of tyres for a Minor for that :wink:
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

I also thought that £36.00 was cheap for a Morris Minor tyre. It is perhaps worth pointing out that they tyres in both links are the incorrect size in both width and profile which goes some way to explaining this :wink: They will fit of course and perform satisfactorily but many owners will prefer to fit the recommended size.
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Post by greendefender123 »

They're not cheap these days I'm afraid. Best budget in my opinion is to fit the 155 80 14 nankangs. I got 5 afew years ago for £145 delivered. They're still doing great with lots of life left.

If you're feeling fancy you can get some 145 14s from blockley for £75 a piece. Tyres on my wife's golf are £100 each and it usually needs a set every year.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

They will fit of course and perform satisfactorily
And that will do for me.
It's up to each individual how much they choose to pay for certain things of course, if people prefer to go for 'named' brands then fair enough. I've done this myself in the past.
But for me they're a consumable, all designed to wear out, so I am happy to go for the cheaper 'budget' option.
Best wishes,
Mike.
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

I have to agree with you Mike. I tend to go for the cheaper tyres. I must admit to finding the expensive named brands like Pirelli, Bridgestone and others as over rated. They probably do give better handling but they do wear out quite quickly. I once got 30,000 miles out of a set of cheap tyres and less than 10,000 out of an expensive set. Horses for courses I guess, but everything is built to at least a minimum standard so I'm comfortable with the budget option.