Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Molly123
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Door shuts

Post by Molly123 »

The doors on my Minor two door are are very difficult to close. They have to be slammed really hard
Is there a way of adjusting the mechanism to make it easier?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Seth
alanworland
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Door shuts

Post by alanworland »

Some door sealing rubbers are harder/slightly bigger than others, I sourced a softer seal but still had to tweak inwards the flange that it's pressed on.
Can't remember where I got the seal from - few years ago now!

Alan
Molly123
Minor Friendly

Post by Molly123 »

Thanks Alan, I hadn’t thought about the seals. I’ll look into it.
Much appreciated.
Seth
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

Do you crank the inner door handle before closing the doors?

Might be worth trying that and then closing them to see if it makes them close more easily.
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Quite a few things can make the doors difficult to close. The striker plates may have moved inwards over time, the hinge side could be out of alignment and the actual lock mechanism/link to inner handle may need greasing. I’d have a good look and try to work out what is causing the issue.
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

The doors on a 2door Minor are very heavy and the hinges can wear. They - and the catches - should be lubricated regularly. With the doors open, get hold of the door handle and try to lift the door up. You should be able to detect and play or wear in the hinges. Structural corrosion in the door pillar can also cause the door to drop. The catch (or striker plate) on the door pillar is secured by 2 screws. This can be adjusted in and out to assist the fit of the door. As others have already said, the rubber seals can make a big difference as several different ones are available.
Molly123
Minor Friendly

Post by Molly123 »

Thanks everyone. Gives me a few options to investigate.
Seth
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

when I did ours I found the seal gap (distance between the flange the seal knocks onto and inner face of the door) was all over the place some areas being next to nothing, being in bare metal at the time it was fairly easy to tweak things to get something vaguely consistent, when we built it up they were difficult to shut at first but after a few months they improved and are pretty good now. (we used the ESM seals). one thing to try might be taking the seals off and seeing if it's still difficult to shut.
Molly123
Minor Friendly

Post by Molly123 »

I’ve ordered some replacement seals from ESM. I’ve removed the old ones and the doors shut
Fine, so hopefully it will be the same when I fit the new ones. I’ve also noticed the flange is not regular so, like yours, I may need to tweak it. A bit of trial and error. Thanks for the info.
Much obliged.
Seth
Molly123
Minor Friendly

Post by Molly123 »

I’ve fitted the ESM seals and the doors close much easier now. Thanks for all the advice.
Seth