Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
olonas
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Noises from inside bell housing.

Post by olonas »

I do have a video recording but I suspect the file is too big to post on here.
1962 1098cc with "ribbed" gearbox. It's a fair weather car so hasn't been on the roads since late last summer.
First time I was aware I heard a mechnical scraping noise from under the car while slowing down.
It only happened twice more. Nothing shows under the car, e.g. propshaft scraping on brake pipe etc..
I have pinpointed it to be coming from inside the bellhousing. It's now a random tapping when the engine is idling, increase the r.p.m. and it's a continuous rattle. Apparent when clutch pedal is depressed so that could rule out a clutch release bearing and, because it's disconnected from the engine with the clutch disengaged, probably discounts the gearbox.
A neighbour, quite a car expert, thinks, as I do it's the clutch itself and something has either broken or detached.
I clutched(no pun intended) at straws to eliminate the propshaft, new ujs fitted, and possibly the starter Bendix rattling. It isn't, replaced that anyway.
I don't want to throw a new clutch at it, or go through the motions and it is something else.
I also don't want to d.i.y.. Past the stage of crawling around under cars except for routine maintenance, greasing, oil etc..
Any ideas?
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Noises from inside bell housing.

Post by les »

If it’s from inside the bell housing, seems likely the engine and box will need parting to see. If you agree, good luck finding a suitable mechanic. Its often worth crawling about under a car, painful as it is, to know what’s been done. I might have to do similar soon to sort a leak out.

kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

you might be able to see something by pulling the rubber bung off on the left hand side and looking inside with a torch.
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

You could always try your luck with one of these:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394367343375 ... R_rf5vDGYQ
olonas
Minor Fan

Post by olonas »

Thanks for the replies. I have found a nearby classic car restorer who is willing to remove the g/box and check the clutch assembly.
I might just drive it up onto ramps to see if there's anything apparent through that l.h. opening. Presumably that where the clutch operating lever would go on a l.h. drive car? Similarly a location on the g/box casing for the relay shaft.
I do have an endoscope camera to use. I did recently renew the starter motor and considered trying to use the camera through that aperture. Chickened out because of the 90 degree bend needed and the risk of something falling into the bell housing!
There is also an opening on top of the bell housing? Would that be visible/accessible if the floor panel were removed from inside the car?
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

My car had a similar tapping and I just could not work out what the problem was. It seemed to be coming from the bell housing. I thought clutch but rather soon the noise became much worse. It was a broken tooth in the gearbox that perhaps started with a crack/chip and ended up with gearbox failure. Definitely needs investigating.

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
olonas
Minor Fan

Post by olonas »

Thanks Stephen, it's a rattle more than a tapping noise. The gearbox can be eliminated because it still makes the noise with clutch disengaged and in gear which means the gearbox isn't rotating.
I tried looking inside the bell housing using the endoscope camera. Couldn't really see anything other than an excellent image of the starter pinnion!
I have arranged with that local restorer for him to remove the 'box and we'll take it from there, when the weather improves. Only about 4 miles away and I'm confident nothing will "grenade" on that short journey.