Period Correct Paint Colour?

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
KWR56
MMOC Member: No

Period Correct Paint Colour?

Post by KWR56 »

I'm considering buying a very solid Minor that's only let down by its paint condition. It's currently in Highway Yellow, but I have my doubts about how original that is. It was first registered in 1967, but I believe that Highway Yellow was only available for a few months from October 1961. So it's either a 1961/62 car on a 1967 plate, or it's had a colour change sometime in the past. I won't know for certain until I've bought it and sent for a Heritage Certificate.

It definitely needs a respray, but in terms of future value, how important is it to paint it in a colour that would have been available in the year of manufacture? I'd love to hear your thoughts on the subject.
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Period Correct Paint Colour?

Post by geoberni »

Well there's several differences between a 61 and a 67, including lights, wipers and steering wheel.
You're right Highway Yellow was only 61-62.
This website will help you decide which the car is: http://potteries.mmoc.org.uk/Identification.htm

Quite honestly, in my opinion, so long as it's not garish, I don't think the paint colour is that important for value. It's more the quality of the work.
Basil the 1955 series II

Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

I'ts quite possible that if you look at the metal under the dashboard beyond the extent of the footwell carpets that you'll find the metal still in its' original paint colour.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
If you're only interested in future value then you're right, originality is everything.
If you've bought the car because you're an enthusiast, love Morris Minors and want to drive and enjoy it until the day you drop, then it's your car and you should paint it whatever colour you like.
That said there was a good variety of colour choices available in period, so as long as the colour suits both you and the car then it will look good.
As Berni said, it's really down to the quality of the paint finish.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
KWR56

Post by KWR56 »

Thank you for the replies. I'm new to the world of Morris Minors, but not new to classic cars. I wasn't sure how important originality would be.

I've since established that Highway Yellow wasn't the original colour anyway. I now believe it left the factory with Smoke Grey paintwork. However, I've decided that it will be professionally resprayed in Trafalgar Blue which is my choice of colour and will match the existing blue / grey interior. This colour combination wasn't an option when the car was first registered, but was at a later date.
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Trafalgar blue available 1963-1971. All black speedometer/key-start cars in other words.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Trafalgar Blue pre-dates the introduction of the black speedo by quite a bit :wink: It was a colour option on the last of the 948cc cars from the end of 1961.
I owned an original Trafalgar Blue Minor with the silver speedo, pull switches and banjo steering wheel many years ago. It was paired with the blue/beige duotone interior trim.
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

There do seem to be two shades of Trafalgar blue, or BU37, though? I've come across a lighter and a darker one.
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

ManyMinors wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:55 pm Trafalgar Blue pre-dates the introduction of the black speedo by quite a bit :wink: It was a colour option on the last of the 948cc cars from the end of 1961.
I owned an original Trafalgar Blue Minor with the silver speedo, pull switches and banjo steering wheel many years ago. It was paired with the blue/beige duotone interior trim.
Yes, according to the reference book, i.e. Ray's Original Morris Minor, it was introduced in August 1962, at car 981731, but not used on the Traveller until the 1098 was introduced in 63. :wink:
Basil the 1955 series II

philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

Monty-4 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:35 pm There do seem to be two shades of Trafalgar blue, or BU37, though? I've come across a lighter and a darker one.
Yes, there are two shades but confusingly, both with the BU37 code. I can't remember if the early shade was the lighter or darker shade. If anyone wants to paint a full car with trafalgar blue, get enough paint at the outset so it all matches. A second batch may not be the same.
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

My experience suggests later is darker. My car is '68 and darker.
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

At the end of the day you will have a very nice Minor in a fetching shade of Blue that will look something like this:
Abby in the Alley.JPG
Abby in the Alley.JPG (1.16 MiB) Viewed 23200 times
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
WOLFMAN

Post by WOLFMAN »

In the early 1980’s I had a Oct.1962 Trafalger Blue Minor and currently have a 1969 / 70 Minor and this one is slightly lighter Trafalger Blue than the first one ( both BU37 )
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

WOLFMAN wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:27 pm In the early 1980’s I had a Oct.1962 Trafalger Blue Minor and currently have a 1969 / 70 Minor and this one is slightly lighter Trafalger Blue than the first one ( both BU37 )
Hi Wolfman did you get my pm?
Regards Bill