Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
POMMReg
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

What do you want me to tell you?

Post by POMMReg »

I receive quite a few enquires requesting info on Minor's, id checks, whether 7original engine fitted blah blah...

Recently had one where the vehicle was obviously a tad dubious, looked it up, nothing matched.

Told the owner my findings & he became angry at ME, I'm hardly going to say it's perfectly okay & original when it isn't!
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: What do you want me to tell you?

Post by geoberni »

Some people are just unbelievable.
Many are too thick or lazy to do anything themselves these days.
They don't so any basic research themselves, they just ask facebook or a forum instead.
Over on the facebook group there are several questions that seem to come around weekly, including 'What oil for the engine/gearbox/axle', and the ubiquitous 'What's the little switch under the speedo do?' :roll:
Basil the 1955 series II

philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

You're spot on Berni. I sometimes drop into the Facebook page and some of the questions (and answers) are frightening! It's great to see new owners but it seems a lot of them do absolutely no research or test drives, but rather just buy a car and then ask the most basic questions on Facebook or complain that car doesn't go very fast or the brakes don't work (compared to whatever modern car they have).

At least some people are asking Chris for advice on numbers, that's a good start, Utd hardly fair to shoot the messenger when they don't like the news.
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

Shooting the messenger is a quaint old custom, and seems to happen more and more these days. :roll:
arjay
Minor Friendly

Post by arjay »

What I find more worrying is how many people then offer totally incorrect 'advice', some of which can be dangerous,
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

POMMReg wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:54 pm
Your title is a bit misleading, surely we're meant to ask you Q's, or give you statements to quote back to us, such as:

Why would anyone want a FB account anyway? :lol: :wink:
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Vehicle in question on ebay a few months ago, 1958 2dr, I noted at the time - with the later wiper mtr bkt, NO dreaded LRBM & new (slotted) screws affixing chassis plate - to say the least, a bit suspect....usual "valuable regn" in the description too.

I DO rant on and on about checking "numbers", but ppl will adhere solely to the chassis plate,check with the potteries list & think everything's hunky dory....
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

philipkearney wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:47 pm You're spot on Berni. I sometimes drop into the Facebook page and some of the questions (and answers) are frightening!
The trouble is, as tempting as it may be to give examples here of the utter buffoonery of people on the facebook group, this message board is open for people to see, or heaven forbid, the individuals might also be members here.... :roll: :roll:
:lol:
Basil the 1955 series II

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

the individuals might also be members here....
Possibly but not likely, sadly this forum tends to feel like a working men's club, where most of the old members have left (retired and / or moved on :-( ) and not too many new members are signing up..........
Like many pubs (again sadly) the bar can seem a bit empty these days, apart from a few die-hard regulars.....
Facebook (etc.) is the new black, for now.......
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

You might hope that some new owners might find that the technical information and advice on here is second to none and of more use than the Facebook page. It's probably only useful for advertising events and sharing photos but that's about it.

The trouble is, the forum isn't advertised enough. Whenever I see technical type queries on the fb page, I should post links to the forum and see if we can get some additional users. If new owners and members aren't aware of the forum the it will become like the working men's club described by Mike.
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

I have never looked at the FB page but I am in other (non motor car related) groups to do with local stuff. It strikes me that FB just isn't set up for the kind of discussions we have on this forum. It is hard to follow threads on FB.
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

I've find that as well. Conversations are prioritised by ''relevance' rather than date, it's hard to search for a specific topic or question and no way of categorising subjects - like you can do in the forum here. It's just not a good platform for ongoing conversations or threads. Like I say, good for light hearted and glib things, sharing photos or advertising events but nothing more than that.
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

Chief wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:55 pm
POMMReg wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:54 pm
Why would anyone want a FB account anyway? :lol: :wink:
Amen to that!
A bad day with my Volksie still beats a good day at work!

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Quote:
Why would anyone want a FB account anyway?

——- maybe you might get thought of as different/ weird without one !

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

maybe you might get thought of as different/ weird without one !
There's a line in a song by 'Rush' that goes: "conform or be cast out"
I believe it was a general statement about society at the time, though it could equally apply now.
So if being a regular user of 'Facebook', 'Twit ter' etc. is conforming........ :wink:
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

May knock FB, but it has been a valuable source of info for us - mainly in the respect of number cruching - something you rarely see on standard forums.

Would STILL be in the stoneage without it
Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »

I have had great and valuable advice from the forum.However you should wait for a few answers as the first is not always the correct answer.Be patient as be thankful to these kind people that charge nothing and keep our cars on the road.Could not do it without them.So many sane and silly questions need an answer.I know I have asked some of them.Many of us do not have a mechanical back ground.More is the pity.But we are having fun learning from those that gave forgotten more than some of us know.Pround to be part of the mmoc.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

[quote
May knock FB,
[/quote]
Many do!!

The Scotmoose
Minor Friendly

Post by The Scotmoose »

I am new here and have had a FB account for a number of years. Both have their place and can be valuable. I can already see that the forum is where to come for all things Minor, as everyone is basically on the same page and dedicated to their car(s) and are only to happy to help. FB it is more a "social club" with a very light hearted feel about it. I might be speaking out of turn but there are some who join groups on FB, just to impress and gain more "friends". At nearly 67 years of age, my days of joining something just to be part of the crowd are over lol.
Dusty56
Minor Friendly

Post by Dusty56 »

philipkearney wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:47 pm You're spot on Berni. I sometimes drop into the Facebook page and some of the questions (and answers) are frightening! It's great to see new owners but it seems a lot of them do absolutely no research or test drives, but rather just buy a car and then ask the most basic questions on Facebook or complain that car doesn't go very fast or the brakes don't work (compared to whatever modern car they have).

At least some people are asking Chris for advice on numbers, that's a good start, Utd hardly fair to shoot the messenger when they don't like the news.
Not just Minors.
Some of the questions on Caravan groups are terrifyingly basic