Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jimmy167
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Horn

Post by jimmy167 »

Can anyone tell me where the purple/black wire enters the steering column . I am fitting a Bango steering wheel and moving the horn to a psh button on the dash . its a 1960 saloon .
StillGotMy1stCar
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: Horn

Post by StillGotMy1stCar »

The Purple/ Black wire connects to a Brown/Black from the indicator stalk.
You just need to remove the Purple/Black from there and reconnect it to your new dash switch, the other side of the dash switch needs to be connected to the car earth, as it is a switched earth horn.
I am assuming you have an indicator stalk with the green tell-tale light on the end.

Regards John
StillGotMy1stCar
Minor Fan

Post by StillGotMy1stCar »

Just to add to the above, I think if your banjo steering wheel has a good horn push it will still work without modification.
For completeness the Brown/Black wire on indicator stalk goes to a Brush on the indicator switch assembly, that makes contact with a slip ring on the steering column, then a wire from the slip ring (can’t remember the colour) goes through the centre of the column via an insulator and spring to make contact with the horn push.

Regards John
jimmy167
Minor Friendly

Post by jimmy167 »

Thanks John , that worked on my 1970 Traveller however this looks like a new steering column and there is no PB wire in sight .
I have checked at the horn end purple wire and purple/black wire I could just take it from the horn end .
My Banjo centre piece has no spring and is solid .
I just don't like the safety style steering wheel on a 1960 car .
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

There is no real difference between the steering column of a 1960 and a 1970 Minor and the wiring for the horn function is also the same. Swapping from the banjo steering wheel fitted to a 1960 car to a later plastic 2 spoke wheel fitted to later models requires nothing except to fit the appropriate hornpush. If your column has no slip ring assembly fitted then the hornpush will not work whichever wheel you fit. I'm not sure from your post whether you plan to fit a dashboard switch as a personal preference or that you believe that it won't be possible to fit the correct hornpush for some reason?
jimmy167
Minor Friendly

Post by jimmy167 »

Now fixed thanks for the comments .