Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jammmorris
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Marina wheel options

Post by jammmorris »

Hi, I'm aware that this has been asked before in different posts but they were from a few years ago and new items/options might be available.
My minor was converted to have Marina front and rear axles, front discs, rear drums. I've never really liked the 13" Marina wheels it came with...
20230429_171217.jpg
20230429_171217.jpg (1.45 MiB) Viewed 860 times
I really like the classic morris minor wheels with the M stamped on the hub caps but I know they won't fit my setup.

Can I ask for advice on the following options please:
1. How can it be adapted to fit original morris minor wheels?
I got confused with a previous post about fitting an esm conversion hub and if this could even be done on the rear.
2. Would these chrome smoothies fit and if so what wouldit take...spacers/new nuts? I don't understand if you need metric nuts to fit the replacement wheels, how they fit if the current studs would be imperial? ://www.johnbrownwheels.com/product/55-x-13 ... 5513SMO495
3. I'm not hugely keen on mgf wheels although I'm aware they fit. I much prefer the classic look on mine. Are there any other options?
4. Am I being a bit precious about the whole thing? Do they look as bad as I think and would it be worth the £100s it would cost to change them? I know it's personal choice but always good to get the view of other minor fans.

Many thanks
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Marina wheel options

Post by philthehill »

I had Marina 3.75" PCD wheels on my Ser 2 which was fitted with Marina front suspension and a Marina rear axle and I thought they looked good; so personally I would not spend the money on different wheels.
My Minor has Mr Grumpy's Marina front hubs converted to 4" PCD and fitted with 13" wheels and a Minor rear axle with 4" PCD wheels.
I understand that the Marina van/pick up has 4" PCD hubs on the rear axle which will accommodate the Minor 4" PCD wheels. Any further comments/information on that would be appreciated.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403369534531 ... R8jEsIP7YQ

jaekl
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by jaekl »

What aspect of the wheel do you not like? Marinas also used a hub insert rather than the cap, if that is the issue.
jammmorris
Minor Friendly

Post by jammmorris »

I prefer the solid look of the minor wheel rims as opposed to the slots in the marina wheels. I heard back from JBW who do the chrome smoothies say but they can cause problems with fouling the brakes so recommend minilites which I'm not as keen on.
It sounds like it could be a whole lot of work and expense to change though so maybe that's why they were fitted in the first place. Just wondered if there was an option I wasn't aware of but probably not without spending what I haven't got!
Thanks anyway for replies.
Steve Phillips
Minor Fan

Post by Steve Phillips »

As far as I remember all marina vans and pickups came with 4 1/2" pcd compared with the saloon and estate on 3 3/4" pcd,

Marina van/ pickup front hubs were often used with Morris Oxford/ Austin A60 back axles which are 4 1/2" pcd or toyota celica back axles which are again 4 1/2" (114.3)

Your marina front hubs can be re-drilled to original Morris 4" pcd and even drilled out to ford 4 1/4" (108mm) pcd, I would imagine the rear axle is the same, and could be drilled to 4" or poss 4 1/4" pcd, that way you could go back to Minor 14" wheels, or poss ford, and there's countless sizes and styles of ford fit wheels,

I think I'm right in saying that some older rover 100s, 200s and 400s as well as triumph acclaim and even Maestro and Montego did have 95.25mm pcd which is 3 3/4"pcd, and a lot of those vehicles would have been available with steel wheels, and it's not hard to drill a steel wheel and fit 3 hub cap retaining buttons if you want original Morris hubcaps back on.

might be worth looking on some of the BMC, Leyland, Rover forums as they will have more knowledge of what wheels / stud pattens are around,

Hope that helps a little,

Steve
jammmorris
Minor Friendly

Post by jammmorris »

Thanks Steve, useful information 👍.