Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Indicator lenses

Post by Bill_qaz »

Will the beehive amber lenses fit in place of the flat L488 white lens in the same holder.
Planning on using the side lights in my headlights and using existing as indicators only.
The beehive type give better view especially from the side at junctions, so prefer this to using amber bulbs. The car already has beehive rears separate from stop tail lights.
Last edited by Bill_qaz on Tue May 02, 2023 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards Bill
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Indicator lense

Post by ManyMinors »

Yes. There is no reason why they would not fit. I never think they look "right" on a Minor but only because they were never factory fitted, so we're not used to seeing them. They were used on the Mini of course as well as the rear of the Traveller, and are readily available. If those lights are going to be flashers only, you could use clear lenses and amber bulbs of course which might look a little more "period correct" but whatever you do is hardly a major change in the specification is it :wink:
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

Thank manyminors still not decided yet on amber bulbs or replacement lenses. As I said it's already got behives on rear fitted by previous owner. I'm more concerned with other drivers seeing indicators more than looking original. I think beehives look better than the later larger indicator sidelight. I don't think the white fronts are very noticeable in modern traffic.
Regards Bill
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Bill_qaz wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 7:31 pm Thank manyminors still not decided yet on amber bulbs or replacement lenses. As I said it's already got behives on rear fitted by previous owner. I'm more concerned with other drivers seeing indicators more than looking original. I think beehives look better than the later larger indicator sidelight. I don't think the white fronts are very noticeable in modern traffic.
It might be worth checking that your existing lenses are clean inside and out and that the bulbs are in good condition. I found a lot of my bulbs were very “sooted up” on the inside. Changing them and cleaning the lenses did make the indicators brighter. The bulbs are not expensive and they soot up ages before they fail it seems. Another option is to go for amber LED flashers. These are good and bright but will not run on a standard flasher relay that relies on a bimetallic strip heating up so it is a bit more involved to do that. There is an electronic relay available that still makes the ticking noise like the old one. I am getting too deaf to hear the ticking of the relay on the bulkhead so I moved it to under the dashboard.
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Personally, I'm not concerned about an indicator being seen from the side so long as they're seen from the front and rear.
I have flat clear lenses in the front which are used only as indicators with Amber LEDs in them. They're certainly bright enough.

But there is a caveat to the principal of all the flat and beehive lenses being interchangeable in that type of Lucas fitting; it depends on the bulb length and the bulb holder....
I can't remember which number it is, but one of them is not as deep as the others so has to have the beehive lens because the bulb stands out so much. :-?
Basil the 1955 series II

Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

geoberni wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 7:52 pm Personally, I'm not concerned about an indicator being seen from the side so long as they're seen from the front and rear.
I have flat clear lenses in the front which are used only as indicators with Amber LEDs in them. They're certainly bright enough.

But there is a caveat to the principal of all the flat and beehive lenses being interchangeable in that type of Lucas fitting; it depends on the bulb length and the bulb holder....
I can't remember which number it is, but one of them is not as deep as the others so has to have the beehive lens because the bulb stands out so much. :-?
Surely if fitting beehive in place of flat then the bulb cannot foul?
Don't want led bulbs as would need resistors or change of flasher unit.
I can get amber version of the standard 380 bulb if Iwant to keep the flat clear lenses.
Regards Bill
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Bill_qaz wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 10:50 pm

Surely if fitting beehive in place of flat then the bulb cannot foul?
Don't want led bulbs as would need resistors or change of flasher unit.
I can get amber version of the standard 380 bulb if Iwant to keep the flat clear lenses.
Correct, that's why I said it was a caveat.
I only mentioned that for anyone in the future who read that the lenses were interchangeable and then complained they couldn't got from Beehive to Flat. 'It takes all sorts' as the saying goes.

Over the decades before I brought him, my car ('55 trafficators) has been fitted with the 61-63 Flashing Brake Light type indicators, which were then bypassed with additional Lucas L488 Amber Indicators, front and rear.
I've made an alteration to include the rear L488, fitted with a red lens, to the brake light circuit and reinstated the system, net result being a doubling up of the rear Brake/Indicator, but not the sidelight.
I've fitted LEDs to most of the lamps, but retailed a single filament lamp each side.
So amber LED to the front, LED and Filament lamp showing red to rear, which has enabled me to retain the standard Flasher Unit.
My Hazard Unit, a genuine 1970s one I had in the garage, is happy to work them also.
Basil the 1955 series II

Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

Thanks for the info geoberni. I have decided on the option to fit flat amber lens to the front to replace my white, so have the option to revert to original if not happy. Side lights will be in headlights but will keep original wiring in situ and fit connectors to new sidelights.
Just await fleebay delivery of amber lenses :tu1:
Last edited by Bill_qaz on Tue May 02, 2023 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards Bill
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

ManyMinors wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 7:09 pm Yes. There is no reason why they would not fit. I never think they look "right" on a Minor but only because they were never factory fitted, so we're not used to seeing them.
Well, to be fair, these amber domes were retro-fitted to many Minors that originally had only trafficators 'back in the day'. It was a common 'period' modification in the 60's and many still sport these kind of retro-fit indicators. I have to say I do prefer them to retro-fitting the bigger, bulky lamps from the later 1000's which I think tend to look rather ugly on the earlier cars.
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

myoldjalopy wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 11:41 am
ManyMinors wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 7:09 pm Yes. There is no reason why they would not fit. I never think they look "right" on a Minor but only because they were never factory fitted, so we're not used to seeing them.
Well, to be fair, these amber domes were retro-fitted to many Minors that originally had only trafficators 'back in the day'. It was a common 'period' modification in the 60's and many still sport these kind of retro-fit indicators. I have to say I do prefer them to retro-fitting the bigger, bulky lamps from the later 1000's which I think tend to look rather ugly on the earlier cars.
Yes I also think the later larger lamp doesn't suit the car but it's all about personal taste.
It's more about other road users not perceiving the front as an indicator as most expect amber not white, so changing it just makes me feel better and the rear is already non standard with additional amber indicators above the original rear lights which are now just tail and brake lights.
Regards Bill
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Re: Indicator lenses

Post by Bill_qaz »

Went for the flatter amber lenses same shape as the white ones removed. The headlight turned out to be Wipac with halagon bulbs, with an appature for a side light. Managed to buy genuine Wipac holders, rewired and now 5w side lights are in the headlights.Front now indicators only .
20230520_145339.jpg
20230520_145339.jpg (1.27 MiB) Viewed 929 times
Regards Bill