Got any hints or tips? Share them here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Mr Spigot
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Alternative jack and starting handle

Post by Mr Spigot »

The standard jack for the Minor is an adequate affair, but I found a better one in a scrapyard many years ago, in the days when you could wander round poking in every car, even when they were stacked on top of each other several high! It is stamped 'Metallifacture', who made jacks for many makes of car including Jaguar, Ford, Lotus, Rover, MG, Rolls Royce and even Austin Morris.
According to http://www.classic-british-car-jacks.uk ... acks_2.htm the one I have is from a Ford Consul Mk2, Zephyr Mk2, Zodiac Mk3-4,
Ford Prefect 107E or Cortina Mk2 . The main benefit is that it has a built-in wooden handle which is much more comfortable and quicker to turn, particularly when it is cold and wet! It slots perfectly into the Minor's jacking point and lifts it up in under a minute, depending on how fast you turn it. They seem to come up on EBay occasionally and I can certainly recommend one.

The other scrapyard find is the starting handle shown. I have no idea what it came from, but it also has a wooden handle, making turning more comfortable and I store it via Terry clips on the back seat in the boot.
Attachments
Jack 1.jpg
Jack 1.jpg (91.12 KiB) Viewed 1956 times
Metallifacture Geared Bipod CJ16.jpg
Metallifacture Geared Bipod CJ16.jpg (45.67 KiB) Viewed 1956 times
Starting handle 1.jpg
Starting handle 1.jpg (142.12 KiB) Viewed 1956 times
Starting handle 2.jpg
Starting handle 2.jpg (68.93 KiB) Viewed 1956 times
1960 2 door with 1275 Midget engine - WOI 577
1952 MM convertible with original engine - MWD 305
svenedin
Minor Legend

Re: Alternative jack and starting handle

Post by svenedin »

Looks like an easier to use starting handle but the standard one is also the wheel brace so a 2-in-1 tool.
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I too remember crawling about an among the cars in breakers yards, people would need counselling if they saw you doing that now. It’s easy to think the best days are behind us.———— Someone doing a daring stunt on tv, “Don’t try this at home” really?

Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

Once blew a pistin on a HA Viva so took the plug out and removed boot lid to make nearest to a pick up I needed. When I drove into the scrap yard on 3 cylindeŕs and missing boot lid, the guy said I can't give you much for that :D
I told him I had come to pick up an engine not scrap my car :lol:

For the Minor I prefer a scissor jack and block of wood to spread the load.
Screenshot_20230612-233510_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20230612-233510_eBay.jpg (125.05 KiB) Viewed 1908 times
Regards Bill
King Kenny
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by King Kenny »

I converted a scissor jack by welding two small lengths of angle iron on the top to make a 'U' shape that fits neatly over the Morris's jacking point. It is quick and won't slip off.
1969 Traveller in Almond green. Owned since 1979.