Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
DCMVan70
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Door adjustment advice

Post by DCMVan70 »

Hi All

Was having a go at improving the fit and closing of my passenger door on the van. It always needed a good slam and there was a large gap in between the door and the rubber seal at the back of the door - big draft for the passenger.

Front to back I can make adjustments using the spacers on the A post side of the hinge. The problem I have is that it seems the door is too close to the car at the front and instead of closing on the rubber seal is just crushes/shears it. This made the previous seal split as shown in the picture. I have bought a new seal from ESM which is a bit smaller than the old one, but still is being pushed from the side and will quickly split.
Is there any adjustment on the other side of the hinge - the door side held with the phillips type screws? And do you think this would solve my problem?

Regards
David
7124321d5b5f501c-photo.jpg
7124321d5b5f501c-photo.jpg (911.86 KiB) Viewed 1749 times
c02ba5c8fdef88d2-photo.jpg
c02ba5c8fdef88d2-photo.jpg (1.82 MiB) Viewed 1749 times
187ee5fde04c4032-photo.jpg
187ee5fde04c4032-photo.jpg (4.02 MiB) Viewed 1749 times
dudload
Minor Fan

Re: Door adjustment advice

Post by dudload »

what's that seal you have at the bottom of the door? My traveller could use one of those and the usual rail to hold bottom excluder has rusted away
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

The hinges will move the door away from the rubber, as there is a certain amount of adjustment there but maybe you’ve tried that. I will say door adjustment on a Minor can be a pain. Another thought is if the panel holding the hinges has been replaced at some time and misaligned.

ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

There does appear to be an additional strip of rubber along the top of the kick plate? That might not help. Also, you've cut the draught excluder too short so it is not flattened and retained by the kick plate as it should be at the bottom. Again, that might not help but probably you need to do a bit more to adjust the hinges out a bit. If the rubber is still stopping the door, then have you tried bending the metal flange it is attached to? That was done in the factory as an "adjustment" when required.
DCMVan70
Minor Friendly

Post by DCMVan70 »

Thanks All

Just a few answers ... The rubber strip allong the bottom is just an extra bit of door seal that was put there by the PO. I guess with the lower seal, it is not really needed and does stop the door closing a bit - while adjusting I removed it. What is supposed to cover that seam.
History of the van is not that well know, so I am sure work has been done and I am sure not all of it was top quality given what I can see elsewhere. It is quite possible the A posts have been messed with and seem to have quite a lot of filler.

I will try the hinge to door adjustment (though getting those phillips type screws lose is never fun) and if not, I like the idea of bending the flange back a bit to allow better clearance - that might just work...

Regards and thanks again.
David
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

The joy of door adjusting is that as you fix one thing, something else goes out of line. Get the door correct, then readjust the wing to preserve the gap and the line, then readjust the front panel and the bonnet, then....

More helpfully, if the top frame is also catching anywhere, then wisdom holds that you loosen or even remove the top frame, get the bottom part of the door closing properly, and then adjust the top part. The suggestion of bending the lip on the body is a good one and has been used many times by many people. You will find that both a hammer with a block of wood or a pair of mole grips provide good alternatives to body jacks.