Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
CG75
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Spare wheel aperture board

Post by CG75 »

My 1959 Traveller doesn't have a spare wheel aperture board, but my partner's 1968 Traveller does have one. Is my board just missing or did the earlier Travellers not have one at all? Thanks for any advice on this.

Screenshot 2023-08-15 at 12.10.43.png
Screenshot 2023-08-15 at 12.10.43.png (755.48 KiB) Viewed 4635 times
geoberni
Minor Legend

Re: Spare wheel aperture board

Post by geoberni »

I don't believe any Traveller had an original aperture board.
I can't see one on the Parts List and if you look at images of Travellers with the rear doors open, very few have the aperture covered and those that do are not a consistent material used.
traveller.JPG
traveller.JPG (168.24 KiB) Viewed 4620 times
Basil the 1955 series II

simmitc

Post by simmitc »

One of my Travellers from years ago had the cover fitted. It was a sturdy piece of fibreboard with a folded over metal edge; nothing like the flimsy bits of cardboard type material sold these days. Every Traveller that I have driven and all the timber kits that I have ever seen have included the little fillets that go on the rear posts specifically to hold the cover in place, so I suspect that the cover was a standard fitment from the factory. It's a shame that the open doors hide the fillets in the photos; one needs ot look slightly from one side.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

This is the only relevant page I can find in the AKD 3542; I've no idea what the wooden parts are that I've ringed, it seems to be a frame, but there's no sign of any cover... :-? :-?
You can see the curved shape of the aperture (Item 5)...
I've never had a Traveller but I'm intrigued to learn more, every day is a School Day and all that....
traveller-1..JPG
traveller-1..JPG (265.3 KiB) Viewed 4581 times
Basil the 1955 series II

CG75
Minor Friendly

Post by CG75 »

geoberni wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:42 pm I don't believe any Traveller had an original aperture board.
I can't see one on the Parts List and if you look at images of Travellers with the rear doors open, very few have the aperture covered and those that do are not a consistent material used.traveller.JPG
How interesting! Thanks for the photos.
CG75
Minor Friendly

Post by CG75 »

simmitc wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:09 pm One of my Travellers from years ago had the cover fitted. It was a sturdy piece of fibreboard with a folded over metal edge; nothing like the flimsy bits of cardboard type material sold these days. Every Traveller that I have driven and all the timber kits that I have ever seen have included the little fillets that go on the rear posts specifically to hold the cover in place, so I suspect that the cover was a standard fitment from the factory. It's a shame that the open doors hide the fillets in the photos; one needs ot look slightly from one side.
Off to see if my car has the little fillets - if it does, I think I should get an aperture board!
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

The cover was certainly factory fitted from around the early '60s I reckon. Probably at the same time as the Duotone trim was introduced? Any Traveller which has the retaining fillets fitted will have had the cover to begin with, which was exactly as Simon describes it above. In the parts book - and the picture above taken from it - these fillets are items 14 and 15. AFA 872 and 873 I think. Travellers were often hard worked utility cars and those boards quickly became worn/damaged and once they didn't fit properly were quickly discarded.
King Kenny
Minor Fan

Post by King Kenny »

Excuse the Mrs in her youth. This is my Traveller in around 1882. I had just fitted green corduroy panel covers. You can see the original cover board. although it may be upside down. It was a piece of hardboard with a folded metal edge on one edge and a finger hole on the other.
IMG s1983 mar Large.jpeg
IMG s1983 mar Large.jpeg (230.61 KiB) Viewed 4542 times
1969 Traveller in Almond green. Owned since 1979.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

This is really interesting.... I wonder why the retaining fillets are shown on that diagram but not the board :-?
I've looks at what I think are all the other likely pages, such as Carpets, Trim etc and i can't see anything shown.

It must've been a frustrating life being on the parts counter at a dealership, so many things not where you'd expect to see them... :roll:

Can anyone explain what they strange arrangement is that I've ringed on the illustration, it makes no sense to me...? :-?
Basil the 1955 series II

King Kenny
Minor Fan

Post by King Kenny »

The assembly you have ringed fits behind the lower metal panel behind the rear bumpers and holds the two side assemblies together.
1969 Traveller in Almond green. Owned since 1979.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

It's often referred to as "the ladder rack", not to be confused with roof fittings on LCVs. Used as described by Kenny, the metal panel is pinned to the wooden frame, and the pins then hidden by the quadrant shaped draught excluder.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

simmitc wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:53 pm It's often referred to as "the ladder rack", not to be confused with roof fittings on LCVs. Used as described by Kenny, the metal panel is pinned to the wooden frame, and the pins then hidden by the quadrant shaped draught excluder.
King Kenny wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:28 pm The assembly you have ringed fits behind the lower metal panel behind the rear bumpers and holds the two side assemblies together.
That explains why I've never seen it. They could have drawn it a bit lower down the page, then it might have made sense.... :roll: :roll: :wink:
I wonder why the 2 little middle bits have no index number.
You'd think there would be a 'Rear Bottom Block - Middle' quantity 2, with a number like AFA 474 (I checked, there isn't :lol: )
Basil the 1955 series II

firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

[quote="King Kenny" post_id=691817 time=1692107349 user_id=13200]
Excuse the Mrs in her youth. This is my Traveller in around 1882. I had just fitted green corduroy panel covers. You can see the original cover board. although it may be upside down. It was a piece of hardboard with a folded metal edge on one edge and a finger hole on the other.IMG s1983 mar Large.jpeg
[/quote]

A very early Traveller indeed.... :D :D
CG75
Minor Friendly

Post by CG75 »

Thanks everyone! My car doesn’t have the fillets so no board…although, as the wood was replaced some years ago, it may have had the fillets & board originally.
CG75
Minor Friendly

Post by CG75 »

King Kenny wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:49 pm Excuse the Mrs in her youth. This is my Traveller in around 1882. I had just fitted green corduroy panel covers. You can see the original cover board. although it may be upside down. It was a piece of hardboard with a folded metal edge on one edge and a finger hole on the other.IMG s1983 mar Large.jpeg
Love the green corduroy panels!
taupe
Minor Legend

Post by taupe »

Esm stock them I think most travellers had them from factory not sure about S2 though?... Mine all have them...:D

Spare Wheel Aperture Board (Traveller) code:T31
£40.67 (ex. VAT)
£48.80 (inc. VAT)

They are shown in the parts list ADA4006 ...Plate P1 :wink:

Taupe
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

taupe wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:49 pm They are shown in the parts list ADA4006 ...Plate P1 :wink:
Oh, silly me, like I said previously, it must've been a confusing life being in the Dealer Parts Dept :roll: :roll:
It's not in the 'Body Service Parts' AKD 3542, which incidentally is where the heater system is for crying out loud....Why?
It's in the 'Mechanical Service Parts' AKD 3541 under Road Wheels..... :roll: :roll:

Thanks for that Taupe :tu1: Every day's a school day.

Let me return the favour...
not sure about S2 though?
I just looked through my 'Original Morris Minor' and on p47 there is a photo of a S2 Traveller rear with the caption 'The spare wheel compartment on the Traveller mirrors that of the saloons, remaining 'open' on the SII Traveller'.
Basil the 1955 series II