Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Trafalgar blue touch up

Post by Bill_qaz »

Can anyone recommend where to buy touch up for 1962 Trafalgar blue.the lighter version.
I bought some correctly labelled colour and paint code but it's much darker.
I've read that later cars were darker although same colour and paint code which is probably what I have purchased.. :oops:
Regards Bill
svenedin
Minor Legend

Re: Trafalgar blue touch up

Post by svenedin »

I’ll be interested to hear answers. I have considered getting my paint “scanned” to get an accurate colour match. My car is smoke grey (blue actually) but what is sold in aerosols is not a good match. Whether that’s 54 years of paint fading or something else I don’t know. The only problem is the suppliers I’ve looked at want a minimum order which is too much. I’d rather pay a fee for the matching then order as I need.
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

I have a sample test panel that came with the car from when a replacement wing was painted. It even has the paint code written on the backand that's the code I used.
So colour match maybe the only option, what minimum quantity/cost were you quoted?
Regards Bill
Boomlander
Minor Legend

Post by Boomlander »

I couldn't find the code for my old black series 2 so took the boot lid to my local bodywork supply shop.
They scanned the colour and supplied me with a 500ml aerosol of 041 VW Skoda Ebony Schwartz for the sum of £16 +vat.
The paint was a perfect match, well worth the money! 😁

svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Bill_qaz wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:36 pm I have a sample test panel that came with the car from when a replacement wing was painted. It even has the paint code written on the backand that's the code I used.
So colour match maybe the only option, what minimum quantity/cost were you quoted?
I can't remember exactly but it was something like a dozen rattle cans which was too much.
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen