Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
svenedin
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Heater Fresh Air Duct Clips

Post by svenedin »

I had to temporarily move the "elephant's trunk" fresh air duct in the engine bay to replace a damper. The 2x clips that secure the duct are very corroded.

I ordered 2x new clips from a well known supplier but the supplied clips are far too big and do not hold the duct properly. I complained and then ordered from another supplier only to receive the very same incorrect clips!!!

For now, I have put the old rusty clips back.

The heater ducting is 3" diameter. The clips are a type of P-clip. Has anybody body managed to find suitable clips? It would be marvellous if they were stainless steel.

Stephen
IMG_9236.jpeg
IMG_9236.jpeg (3.44 MiB) Viewed 6220 times
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Re: Heater Fresh Air Duct Clips

Post by myoldjalopy »

I know its not what you are looking for, but you could use heavy duty cable ties......at least until you find the correct clips.
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

I did find these: https://www.flowtech.co.uk/category-lan ... ku=D980800

The rubber could be removed and I could paint the clips black.

Stephen
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

myoldjalopy wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:43 pm I know its not what you are looking for, but you could use heavy duty cable ties......at least until you find the correct clips.
Thanks yes. I've just re-used the rusty old clips for now. I did bother to clean up the elephant's trunk, scrubbing out the corrugations with a toothbrush and to have to put rusty clips back is disappointing but at least it's secured.

I could de-rust the old clips and paint them but that will take me several days and the car is used every day. The heater is not used at this time of year so it does not matter really.

Stephen
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

Where do you support clips mount, mine doesn't have any clips it's just attached at each end.
Regards Bill
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

The same clip was used on Classic Mini, original part number was 14A 9982.
Try some of the Mini Suppliers, but might be worth talking to them in case the same problem exists.

For example: https://www.bullmotifminispares.co.uk/p ... 82/14A9982
Basil the 1955 series II

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Bill_qaz wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:56 pm Where do you support clips mount, mine doesn't have any clips it's just attached at each end.
The instructions at the end of the Workshop Manual are a bit vague for installing it, but this image is typical.
I guess it was left to the installer.
https://www.iksportclassic.com/wp-conte ... 1970-6.jpg
Basil the 1955 series II

svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Bill_qaz wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:56 pm Where do you support clips mount, mine doesn't have any clips it's just attached at each end.
The two clips attach to the inner wing

Stephen
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

geoberni wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:09 pm
The instructions at the end of the Workshop Manual are a bit vague for installing it, but this image is typical.
Yes that's exactly it but with less rusty clips than mine. They were an absolute devil to get off!

Stephen
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

geoberni wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:59 pm The same clip was used on Classic Mini, original part number was 14A 9982.
Try some of the Mini Suppliers, but might be worth talking to them in case the same problem exists.

For example: https://www.bullmotifminispares.co.uk/p ... 82/14A9982
Marvellous Berni. I am suspicious that the Bull Motif one is the same incorrect size but some of the other suppliers I think are selling the correct part. The part number has done the trick.

I've e-mailed a small supplier whose website appears to show the correct sized clip. They are even powder coated and reasonably priced. https://nippycarsonline.com/product/14a ... nk-p-clip/

I've never seen this Nippy Cars supplier before but they have lots of excellent things.

Who would have thought something as simple as a clip would be sold in completely the wrong size?! Not only that, 2 different suppliers selling the same wrong thing.

Many thanks!

Stephen
Last edited by svenedin on Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I’m probably wrong but I thought the trunking was a larger diameter than 3 inches, can’t check mine at the moment.

svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

les wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:57 pm I’m probably wrong but I thought the trunking was a larger diameter than 3 inches, can’t check mine at the moment.
I took it off and measured it. Perhaps I should check again.......

You may be right actually and it could be 3.25" (I'm too tired to go out and measure again)

In any case Nippy Cars got back to me and their clips are 84mm diameter. 3.25" is 82mm so that will fit (I hope).

Stephen

Stephen
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Les you are correct. The heater fresh air pipe is 3 1/4" diameter. I must have been squashing the pipe out of round when I measured.

Stephen
King Kenny
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by King Kenny »

I used the old ones as a template and cut a strip of stainless steel to form new ones. I was working in an engineering works at the time so I had all the tool available to me.
1969 Traveller in Almond green. Owned since 1979.
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

King Kenny wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:16 pm I used the old ones as a template and cut a strip of stainless steel to form new ones. I was working in an engineering works at the time so I had all the tool available to me.
Sounds ideal. I would do that if I could.

Stephen
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

svenedin wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:15 pm
geoberni wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:09 pm
Yes that's exactly it but with less rusty clips than mine. They were an absolute devil to get off!
Thanks for the info guys, I will probably order a clip, only going for one on mine, as the front has summer and winter inlet position so need movement at front but like some support to prevent it rubbing.
Regards Bill
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Nippycars have an excellent reputation for producing first class Mini spares. I'd have no hesitation in recommending the company.
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

ManyMinors wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:01 pm Nippycars have an excellent reputation for producing first class Mini spares. I'd have no hesitation in recommending the company.
Glad to hear it. Fred from Nippy Cars has already replied to my e-mail and was very helpful. He actually has a Minor in his workshop which also helps!

I will be sending those rubbish clips back to the 2 big suppliers. One of those suppliers has a workshop. You'd think they'd know their parts don't fit. It was the same with wiper wheel boxes and they are still selling them with no warning to customers that it will reduce the arc of sweep of the wipers. So annoying.

Stephen
taupe
Minor Legend

Post by taupe »

Not that you should have to... but those clips could easily be shortened to fit by drilling a new hole and cutting a little off the end...

Taupe
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

taupe wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:43 pm Not that you should have to... but those clips could easily be shortened to fit by drilling a new hole and cutting a little off the end...

Taupe
They could but it’s a bit more involved than that. The radius is too big as well. They’d need shortening and re-bending.

Stephen