Large patch of rust on rear bumper

Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Rustynuts
MMOC Member: Yes

Large patch of rust on rear bumper

Post by Rustynuts »

My 1962 Morris 1000 (Maude) has a patch on the rear bumper, roughly 4 inches in diameter, where the chrome has been completely lost to rust. Short of taking the bumper off for a bit of re-chroming, which I don't want to do, are there any suggestions, like rubbing down and painting over, which you nice people could recommend, Cheers. Mike.
Chief
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Large patch of rust on rear bumper

Post by Chief »

You could try chrome effect spray paint on the area, maybe with some lacquer on top to add to the gloss (since some chrome effect isn't all that great I gather).

Also, if there's rust on the blade on the outside, it's quite possible there's rust eating away your bumper valance on the inside - so you may want to consider dismantling it all for a good clean up and rust removal (this can be a painful experience depending on rusty nuts).
silloyd
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by silloyd »

Try rubbing the patch with ordinary kitchen foil. It works for small rust marks and may give you a good enough finish.

Lacquer over the top once you're content.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
My name is Xog and I am from Adderley Park. Greetings earth people...take me to your leaded.

Mick Lynch
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by Mick Lynch »

If it’s a fix rather you are after rather than perfection clean the area and put adhesive aluminium tape over it. Rub it well in and trim with a craft knife It’s not perfect but it’s better than rust and looks okay at distances greater than 10ft. It’s known locally as ‘Alabama Chrome’.