Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Richardnewcombe
MMOC Member: Yes

What paint colour is this please?

Post by Richardnewcombe »

IMG_4398.JPG
IMG_4398.JPG (4.06 MiB) Viewed 4737 times
Any ideas please as to what shade blue this is? It’s a 1959 2 door registered in August that year with newer rear lights fitted. I think the colour is original and is behind panels and dashboard etc with no evidence of a re-spray. All the MMOC records show the only blue used at that time was Clipper or Turquoise and it’s clearly neither of those. Trafalgar wasn’t used until several years later. I would like to keep it original but what colour is it?
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: What paint colour is this please?

Post by ManyMinors »

In my opinion the colour is definitely NOT original any more than the (later model) interior is - or the registration number for that matter.
It may (or may not) be a later British Leyland colour but that doesn't really matter either way if originality is your goal. It is certainly none of the standard offerings you mention. It must have received an unusually thorough paint job if no sign of the original remains! A Heritage Certificate from Gaydon should reveal all :wink:
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

Could be a BL colour called Pageant Blue. I painted a pickup that colour in the 80s.

Then again, I am colourblind....... :o
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

Definitely not a Morris/BMC colour. I have seen a Morrises in that colour but definitely not original. Zooming in on the picture shows it could have been brush painted or spray can painted in the not too distant past. Were Marina's and Maxi's not available in similar colour ?
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

The nearest (somewhat later) British Leyland colour I can recall is Tahiti Blue. Used on Marinas and Allegros and everything else in the Austin/Morris range in the mid/late 1970s. It could be anything though.
IF the OP is trying to get it matched he'll have to take a sample to a paint shop and obtain the closest he can find.
If he wants it original, he'll have trace what colour it was originally :-?
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

Around the rear window rubber the paint showing in the picture is not blue, lift the rubber and check. Or rub off a small section of paint were it's not going to be visible and see what's under the blue.
Regards Bill
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Bill_qaz wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:54 pm Around the rear window rubber the paint showing in the picture is not blue, lift the rubber and check. Or rub off a small section of paint were it's not going to be visible and see what's under the blue.
That might just be grey primer showing, after a 'windows in' respray. My car has little bits like that showing if I look closely enough...
Basil the 1955 series II

exlkrs
Minor Friendly

Post by exlkrs »

Interesting one. Cut my teeth in BMC bodyshops, but a little earlier than me. At first sight, I'd say Riviera Blue. Used on Spridgets but slightly later.
Messin' with Morris (and Austin) for half a century!
Richardnewcombe

Post by Richardnewcombe »

Thanks for all your helpful comments everybody. It has confirmed for me that it is not an original colour and I now have to decide which 1959 colour to go for. I'm leaning towards Clipper Blue if I can't find any darker blue colour from that period.
exlkrs
Minor Friendly

Post by exlkrs »

If you want a darker blue from the range in that era, try Island or Mineral Blue BU 8&9
Messin' with Morris (and Austin) for half a century!
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Neither of those were offered on the Minor 1000 however. In period, Island Blue was an Austin colour seen on the A35, A55 etc. Mineral Blue was an MG colour and also offered on the Wolseley 1500. Nothing wrong with using a different colour but, as you say, you're very restricted if you stick with a period Morris offering. Colours are very much a personal thing but I think Clipper Blue is very attractive shade on a Minor. Turquoise too is very striking 8)
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

Strange boot lock and it looks like the speedo and steering wheel have also been changed. Not too much originality there either!
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

The boot handle has simply come out of the escutcheon I think. The speedo and banjo steering wheel look correct for a 1959 car as far as I can see :wink:
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

Back to my corner with the dunce hat I go!
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.