Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
martyn yates
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Wooden steering wheel

Post by martyn yates »

Fitted a wooden wheel to my 57 saloon, with the horn push on the indicator stalk. Now fitting same wheel to my 68 saloon, horn push in the centre of the wheel. Ordered a alloy horn push, arrived without instructions. There are two wires on the horn push, does anyone have any ideas of how to fit it? My steering column has a spring in the middle underneath the original horn push, horn is pushed contact made and horn sounds. The new horn push does not clear the spring so horn sounds all the time. Do I remove the spring ? Any ideas.
svenedin
Minor Legend

Re: Wooden steering wheel

Post by svenedin »

In the standard installation the contact on the bottom of the horn push is always in contact with the bullet terminated wire that is held in with a c-clip to the spring. The circuit is completed by pressing the horn push inner which completes the circuit between the centre steering column wire and the wire that connects via a “shoe” contact on the indicator assembly and the slip ring on the steering column. What I am trying to say is that the horn push is a switch and it does not operate by making and breaking contact with the centre steering column wire.

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
martyn yates
Minor Friendly

Post by martyn yates »

The horn push in the centre of the wheel operates the horn, but the replacement horn push will not fit because of the spring. Any ideas ?
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

A photo of the back of the horn push would help.

The spring is around an insulting tube like this: https://www.morrisminorspares.com/elect ... g-p1238931

Without really understanding what the problem is, could you shorten the spring or try without it?

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
martyn yates
Minor Friendly

Post by martyn yates »

The alloy horn push will not fit as the spring is in the way, there are also two wires on the back of the horn push with no instructions it's not clear as to what to do.