Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Owlsman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Dual Personality Register

Post by Owlsman »

As any club members may have read in Minor Matters, the so-called 'Dual Personality' Register is being relaunched jointly by Jack Howkins and myself. I say 'relaunched' because the information previously given has now seemingly been lost to the club!!

A new Facebook page can be accessed on https://www.facebook.com/groups/164212240110632 There of course, you can find out what the DPR is all about and download a form to register your vehicle. The register is open to all owners, whether MMOC members or not.

In brief, this register is for vehicles manufactured between Sept 1962 and October 1964. It is a period when Minors were gradually changing from Series III to Series V i.e. the final version! You might sometimes see them referred to as 'Split Personality' or 'Transitional' vehicles.....they're all the same thing.

I've seen historic posts on here, which basically ask the question 'What's the point of this and other model-specific registers?' In the great scheme of things, I don't suppose it does really matter. I certainly wouldn't claim that it adds any monetary value for a car to be classed as Dual Personality - mechanical and bodywork condition will always be the determining factors of value.

I do think however that it is helping to preserve a historic record of something that was fairly prevalent in the motor industry at the time, namely using existing parts and manufacturing processes over an extended period until finally the 'all new' models went on stream. Can you imagine today, Vauxhall or Ford bringing out 'facelifted' versions of their Corsa or Focus ranges.......and taking about 2 years for them to fully hit the showrooms, as they kept bolting new bits onto the outgoing ranges?

For me, I quite like to have the benefit of the larger 1098cc engine and 8'' front drums combined with the quaintness/old world charm of the banjo steering wheel, the fully painted dash and other features of the Series III.

A website for the DPR will soon be available but in the meantime, anyone is welcome to use the Facebook link or PM me if you want to register your vehicle or just find out a bit more.

Alan Smith
Chief
Minor Addict

Re: Dual Personality Register

Post by Chief »

Interesting register.

I guess my car counts, a duotone late '63 model that came with the 1098 engine and the modern Smiths heater, this meant it had a parcel shelf for the modern heater, but it was beige like the one the 948 duotones (with the old style of heater) had.

Sadly a well known restorer binned it and fitted the more modern black one.
Moggie May
Minor Friendly

Post by Moggie May »

Hi all, I have an all original Phase 1 moggy which was first registered on 1st January 1963. I am not on Facebook but would quite like Moggy May to be included in the register.
Thanks
Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

I'm going to send you a PM shortly, MM.

If anyone else wants to join the register please feel free to PM me. My co-registrar is in the final stages of setting up a website, a link to which I will post on here when it is up and running.

There are 22 Dual Personality Minors currently logged on the register, so I'm sure there are loads more out there.........