Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
TerriM
MMOC Member: No

Hello!

Post by TerriM »

Hi everyone,

I would just like to introduce myself as I’m new to this group and new to classic ownership. My names Terri and I have just bought a beautiful Morris, series 2 I believe, from Matthewsons Auction however, all I know about the car is that the previous owner has sadly passed away but that they had restored the car using only original Morris parts and taken her to local car shows. It doesn’t even have a V5, I’ve had to apply for it. I was wondering if anybody has seen or come across my car before and maybe knows a little bit about her? She does have a Yugoslavia sticker in the back window and a Slovenia sticker in the rear passengers window so was wondering if maybe she had been imported at any point or just well travelled. Due to bereavement, the car comes with no documents at all but is immaculate and looks like she has just rolled off the production line.

Thank you in advance.
Attachments
IMG_8475.png
IMG_8475.png (2.05 MiB) Viewed 30588 times
IMG_8580.jpeg
IMG_8580.jpeg (3.82 MiB) Viewed 30588 times
IMG_8583.jpeg
IMG_8583.jpeg (250.37 KiB) Viewed 30588 times
rocco
Minor Fan

Re: Hello!

Post by rocco »

That is indeed a smashing looking car, come on start me off, where we gonna be with it? :D

At first glance I thought it was a Million! The DVLA has it down as a 1955 in beige but it looks more lilac to me.

I don't know anything about the car but it's a lovely old thing, very straight.
1961 Morris Minor 1000
TerriM

Post by TerriM »

I’m new to the movement and thought I would start with something easier although she’s currently having a service so haven’t actually driven it yet. It can’t be any more difficult than driving my 2004 110 defender. Having said that, I am a 38 year old female and the defender makes my leg ache. Ha!

This is all I know from Matthewson’s but hoping to learn a bit more. I do know it has the most beautiful marble steering wheel which was a welcome bonus.

In auction due to bereavement of owner, who using only original Morris Minor parts, fully restored the vehicle to the highest of specs.
Professionally painted.
In perfect condition inside and out, which is reflected on video.
Auction house has had vehicle running.
Stored in a garage.
Only used to enter in local car show events.

They posted this video of her too. I literally bought her blind and went purely off this vid. Ha! My gamble paid off because she is as precious in real life, if not more charming.

https://youtu.be/nAOhp8XxrS4?si=j8K_6A8nkybqA95r

Terri
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

Very nice and welcome to the world of Morris Minors.

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Lovely car, very pretty indeed!
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

[quote= ...was wondering if maybe she had been imported at any point...
[/quote]

The fact that it's never had an MoT test might well be explained by this possibility.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Myrtles Man wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:08 pm [quote= ...was wondering if maybe she had been imported at any point...
The fact that it's never had an MoT test might well be explained by this possibility.
[/quote]

The DVLA online MOT checker doesn't go back beyond 2005 and this has been un-taxed since 1981... :wink:

I would think that an import is unlikely, because it says

Date of first registration April 1955
Year of manufacture 1955

There's quite often a difference in those if it's an Import. Also highly unlikely that a SII exported to Europe would have been RHD, unless it was a personal Export in the 60s or 70s.
It might be that the 'Little Old Lady/Gent owner' was well travelled or even worked over there... Not forgetting that post WWII, Slovenia was part of Yugoslavia and part of the Eastern Block, although it opened up to Western Tourism in the 70s...

Certain an interesting purchase.
Basil the 1955 series II

TerriM

Post by TerriM »

That’s really helpful. I can now rule out in the import theory. Ha! Would you remove the stickers or leave them on as part of her story?

I’m just waiting for the log book and I’ll look into doing the V888 and see if I can reach out to any previous owners. If I know the area of where the previous lived, I can then focus my search on the car shows local to that area and hope that somebody may be able to tell me a bit more about her.

I’m very much looking forwards to getting behind that marble wheel and learning all I can from this group. Thank you for your warm welcome. It’s very much appreciated.
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

N - VE is a Cambridgeshire issued plate and issued March to November 1955. Although possible, it is unlikely that this is an age-related plate and more likely an original as the former tend to be from counties / areas which had not used their allocation ie some Scottish areas. A beautiful looking car. The best guide to history, given the DVLA's GDPR attitude is the BMIHT Heritage certificate.
rocco
Minor Fan

Post by rocco »

Knowing the mileage would surely help to know whether the car has been used for driving or as an ornament in the former Yugoslavia.

When you say "local shows", you mean in the UK or on the continent? It could be fun to visit car shows in Balkan countries. Personally, I wouldn't bother keeping the stickers unless there is some meaningful connection to YU or SLO. I would guess that it was used for a continental road trip many years ago rather than it being owned and stored over there but Mathewsons would know more about it.

Are you planning to use it or to show it yourself?
Last edited by rocco on Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
1961 Morris Minor 1000
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

You could always ask Mathewsons where they collected it from then go and knock on a few doors in the neighbourhood to see what recollections the locals have of the car and its owner/restorer. Just a thought.
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

The car also appears to have the original ace peak number plates and the reg/date ties in, so I'd be inclined to think it's original. A heritage certificate from the BMIHT should give you more information on the destination of the car. It should indicate either the U.K. Dealer it was supplied to or if it was exported when new, the records would show the destination as Nuffield Exports. In theory, it could also have been exported and reimported later in its life.