Exhaust clamp

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Mr Spigot
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Exhaust clamp

Post by Mr Spigot »

Having just acquired a 1952 convertible with a sidevalve engine last week and getting used to its idiosynchracies, I had a look under the bonnet and discovered the loud noise it made going up hills on the way home was due to the exhaust manifold to exhaust pipe gasket blowing. It was blowing directly onto the fuel pipe which was not held in its usual clip, probably done when a new fuel pump was fitted.

I have a new gasket on its way from ESM, but wondered two things:
1. What size are the two bolts? Hopefully I can reuse them if plenty of WD40 or equivalent allows them to be undone, but they may well shear off. I have looked at the parts manual but no details, only a part number.
2. I have read elsewhere on this forum that some kind of heat shield is advised due to the proximity of the fuel pipe to the exhaust. Where can I get one? Does anyone have a photo and can they be made up easily if not available?

Photo of the problem attached.
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_5127.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_5127.jpg (65.05 KiB) Viewed 1886 times
1960 2 door with 1275 Midget engine - WOI 577
1952 MM convertible with original engine - MWD 305
doughicks
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Re: Exhaust clamp

Post by doughicks »

The heat shield is down where the shock damper is bolted to the firewall. Can take pic if required. I used stainless steel bolts and nuts bought at a hardware store.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

This is the heat shield that is used to protect the upriser fuel pipe.
https://www.morrisminorspares.com/fuel- ... ly-p830677
The smaller part is used to protect the HS2 carb float chamber and is not suitable for the carb (if standard) fitted to your engine.
The upriser fuel pipe in your photo should be retained by the L/H clip. A piece of split piping should be between the pipe and clip. If retained by the L/H clip the upriser fuel pipe is kept further away from the exhaust so reducing the possibility of fuel vaporisation.

Mr Spigot
Minor Fan

Post by Mr Spigot »

Thanks for the link to the ESM site for the heat shield Phil. Yes, the pipe needs to be put back in its proper clip and the advice about the insulating pipe is helpful. The car already has the heatshield for the shock absorber in place, which is further to the right.
1960 2 door with 1275 Midget engine - WOI 577
1952 MM convertible with original engine - MWD 305
sirrom918
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by sirrom918 »

Standard WD40 is of little use for that particular application of undoing the clamp bolts. You need a good penetrating oil such as 'Plus-Gas' though I've also had great success with a product called 'Ambersil Rust Flash' - a rust loosener with freeze shock. Plus-Gas can be found on Amazon, ebay and from Screwfix. Ambersil Rust Flash from 'BearingBoys' and 'RS Components' among many other outlets.
Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »

After much wd40 I removed a very tight screw with hair straighteners heat and driver head held in to it.