Recommissioning a 71 Lhd traveller

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
phasesonix
MMOC Member: No

Recommissioning a 71 Lhd traveller

Post by phasesonix »

I thought that maybe someone would be interested in a bit of work I've done to revive a traveller I bought off ebay. Originally a green Lhd traveller delivered to Germany to the British army where it served as a staff car until the previous owner(Terry- in case anyone knows the car) who was stationed there bought it after it was decommissioned from the army and drove it back to the UK in 1981.
Where he used it up until about 15 years ago when it had some major welding done with the engine and box out. Engine and box put back in and then it sat in an agricultural welding shop uncovered for some time.
Then I bought it just over a month ago with a plan to drive it to France and register it here. I bought it unseen and had it delivered to my parents house in Wales.About a week later I flew over from France.
The previous owner was very honest and detailed about his description over the phone. It also came with about 80% of the parts to repair. As the sellers description there were no brake cylinders or pipes or master cylinder on the car. But an all new braking system was included. No lights were working apart from one front side light and the speedo bulb. The radiator had completely rotted away, there was not much left. The interior had been removed but the seats were in place. It didn't turn over and the clutch pedal was loose.
Tbc
phasesonix

Re: Recommissioning a 71 Lhd traveller

Post by phasesonix »

Photos
Attachments
IMG-20231115-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20231115-WA0002.jpg (479.04 KiB) Viewed 5004 times
Screenshot_20231204-224800.png
Screenshot_20231204-224800.png (1.06 MiB) Viewed 5004 times
Screenshot_20231204-224714.png
Screenshot_20231204-224714.png (895.77 KiB) Viewed 5004 times
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

What an interesting car! It should be a well worthwhile project 8)
Good luck with it and keep posting :D
phasesonix

Post by phasesonix »

ManyMinors wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:22 am What an interesting car! It should be a well worthwhile project 8)
Good luck with it and keep posting :D
Cheers
phasesonix

Post by phasesonix »

Day 1, removed the radiator and connected the loose wires in the engine bay. Put a battery on it and it turned over but no spark. Cleaned points, tested for voltage on coil all ok. Replaced all spark plugs. Put fuel it and it wanted to start but all cables to carb disconnected. Working in the rain stopping and starting decided to take it to my brothers shed.

Day 2 spent most of the day getting a trailer to the morris and the morris to the shed. Got it on blocks with the wheels and brake drums removed.

Day 3 Luckily a whole new braking system came with the car so I didn't have to run around or wait for parts to arrive. Front wheel cylinders,flexis and brake shoes replaced. Put choke on without cable connected and turned idle screw on carb and she started straight away and sounded good. Fitted second hand radiator and filled with coolant.

Day 4 replaced rear wheel cylinders, brake shoes(difficult). Spent a long time thinking that the pipe set had wrong threads as bsp on front wheel cylinder linking pipes and unf everywhere else? Went out and wasted a couple of hours looking for the wrong rear flexible also!

pip
DSC_1559.JPG
DSC_1559.JPG (1.22 MiB) Viewed 4877 times
Attachments
DSC_1579.JPG
DSC_1579.JPG (1.23 MiB) Viewed 4877 times
Last edited by phasesonix on Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
phasesonix

Post by phasesonix »

Day 5 all brake pipes in the kit are correct! Fitted them and the rear flexi and the the master cylinder after grinding the sides of it a bit. Bled the system. Then again and again nearly emptied the master cylinder. Pedal still not right. Made up an accelerator cable from my dad's 20kg box of bowden cables probably 40 years worth! Improvised some wire to hold the choke on. Connected clutch pedal to gearbox.

Day 6 nos su fuel pump included with the car doesn't work. (one on car in a very poor state). Cleaned points still not working. Completely dissembled and oiled and greased points mechanism very time consuming but it now works. Fitted fuel pipe to pump and then tank.
Wheels on- first test drive down farm track. Goes ok! Drained engine oil.

Day 7 My dad tells me to raise the front of the car as high as I can to bleed the brakes. Got the front about 2ft in the air. Lot of air came out pedal much better. New engine oil and filter. New air filter. All wiring for lights disconnected waiting for new pair of headlights. Got power to the headlight connectors and side lights. Rear lights including brake lights work after reconnecting cut cable underneath and connecting grounds. New indicator relay gets the indicators working. Very fun to work on the electrics on this car the whole circuit diagram for the whole car fits on an a5 piece of paper! New engine oil and filter.