Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
BRG?Mikey
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

VIN numbers - Series II

Post by BRG?Mikey »

I'm a first time user here so please excuse any faux pas. I have what was advertised as a 1953 Series II Morris Minor. It has a VIN number beginning 223(???). I have just received a BMIHT Heritage Certificate stating that the vehicle was built in October 1955. It has the 'cheese grater' grill, split screen, and small rear window. The speedo is in front of the steering wheel (rather than in a central situation, beneath a bulge) - it has the 'art deco' style dash. BMIHT tell me that it is a de-luxe - it has leather seats,a heater, and a passenger sun-visor. Luxury indeed! It has had a lot of work done prior to my ownership and isn't very original but is in fair shape structurally. I have tried to get some history about the car (written to previous owners on the V5) but with no joy.

My question is around the BMIHT build date (above). From a variety of sources (Minor Matters included, which reported for instance that chassis number 221803 was built in October 1953), my understanding was that the car was probably built in around November 1953, perhaps one of the first de-luxe specified cars(?). New South Wales Morris Minors (quoting Minimania in the USA) gives the 1953 VINs from 216901 to 233717. Wikipedia(!) tells me that the horizontal grill and central speedo was introduced in October 1954.

Given the above, is there any reason why a car like mine could have a build date of October 1955? I could go back to BMIHT (keyboard error on the certificate?) but I thought I'd check with the community first in case I've missed something obvious (were 'old style bodies' still being used in late 1955, even after the new style ones [central speedo] had been brought in for instance, though that wouldn't explain the VIN?). Many thanks.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: VIN numbers - Series II

Post by ManyMinors »

I agree that a car with that chassis number would have been built in late 1953. The specification you have also dates it to that period, so there seems little doubt. I would contact BMIHT as it seems that they have made an error. Not the first time :wink:
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

That's definitely a '53 car, from description and body number; 223*** is around November '53.

My SII car is March '55 and is 324***. :o
Any reference book will tell people that the change from MM style interior to the central Speedo occurred in late '54, around the 290*** mark, depending on body style.

Go back to BMIHT, because somebody has made a mistake. :roll:
Basil the 1955 series II

BRG?Mikey
Minor Friendly

Post by BRG?Mikey »

Many thanks to you both - I'll get back to BMIHT. Interesting to note that this wouldn't be the first time they've made a mistake.
POMMReg
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by POMMReg »

BRG?Mikey wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:52 pm I'm a first time user here so please excuse any faux pas. I have what was advertised as a 1953 Series II Morris Minor. It has a VIN number beginning 223(???). I have just received a BMIHT Heritage Certificate stating that the vehicle was built in October 1955. It has the 'cheese grater' grill, split screen, and small rear window. The speedo is in front of the steering wheel (rather than in a central situation, beneath a bulge) - it has the 'art deco' style dash. BMIHT tell me that it is a de-luxe - it has leather seats,a heater, and a passenger sun-visor. Luxury indeed! It has had a lot of work done prior to my ownership and isn't very original but is in fair shape structurally. I have tried to get some history about the car (written to previous owners on the V5) but with no joy.

My question is around the BMIHT build date (above). From a variety of sources (Minor Matters included, which reported for instance that chassis number 221803 was built in October 1953), my understanding was that the car was probably built in around November 1953, perhaps one of the first de-luxe specified cars(?). New South Wales Morris Minors (quoting Minimania in the USA) gives the 1953 VINs from 216901 to 233717. Wikipedia(!) tells me that the horizontal grill and central speedo was introduced in October 1954.

Given the above, is there any reason why a car like mine could have a build date of October 1955? I could go back to BMIHT (keyboard error on the certificate?) but I thought I'd check with the community first in case I've missed something obvious (were 'old style bodies' still being used in late 1955, even after the new style ones [central speedo] had been brought in for instance, though that wouldn't explain the VIN?). Many thanks.
To confirm build year, use the body number;

1953 2dr 90k's/4dr in the 40k's/engines c50k's

1955 2dr 100k's/4dr 60k's/engines c150k's

Not exact, rough estimate...don't have up to date book with me atm.😴
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Are you relying on the plate on the bulkhead for the VIN, or have you found the number stamped into the shell? It could be that someone has swapped the plate from one car to another. No idea why, but these things do happen; in which case, your description could be correct and so could BMIHT. Hopefully it's not that, but definitely look for the number in the bulkhead, not on the plate.
BRG?Mikey
Minor Friendly

Post by BRG?Mikey »

Thanks both. I was relying on the bulkhead plate. I'll see if I can find the number stamped on the shell. From what others have said though, the car can't have been built as late as October 1955 given the lack of a central speedo. Thanks again.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

There's been a guy recently asking questions about his car over on the fb group; I think he's in Germany.
The Car's documents say it's a '64, but it's got Trafficators in it and the ID Plate is the older pre-1958 style.
He's posted a photo of the ID plate and you can see it's been over-stamped, quite obviously... :roll: :roll:

I told him where to look for the stamp in the bulkhead...
Iffy.JPG
Iffy.JPG (162.89 KiB) Viewed 710 times
Basil the 1955 series II

BRG?Mikey
Minor Friendly

Post by BRG?Mikey »

👍My plate looks pretty original to my unturored eye. I've sent a query over to BMIHT so we'll see what they say.....Thanks for your help everybody.
BRG?Mikey
Minor Friendly

Post by BRG?Mikey »

Just as a footnote to this thread, I've had a reply from BMIHT. They agree that they have made a keyboard error and will be sending me a new certificate.