Repairing SU H2 carb

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Richardnewcombe
MMOC Member: Yes

Repairing SU H2 carb

Post by Richardnewcombe »

I have a 1959 2 door saloon running on a single standard SU carb. When changing the fuel line from pump to carb I pulled the copper inlet neck out of the float chamber lid. It pushes in again fairly tightly but I am concerned about fuel leakage. I am not at the stage of rebuild when the carb can be primed so I don't know for sure if it will leak or not. Help would be appreciated. I would like to avoid the expense of a new lid. Can it be soldered or braised back on?
svenedin
Minor Legend

Re: Repairing SU H2 carb

Post by svenedin »

Is there a clip that holds in the brass tube? I can see why you want to avoid the cost of a new lid. They are really expensive for what they are.

Do you mean an HS2 carburettor? You can see that there is a metal plate/clip that retains the brass inlet tube. I do not know if the design has changed over the years (my car is 1969 and yours is earlier). https://www.bullmotifminispares.co.uk/p ... 266/AUE266

Try Glen Watson at https://www.sucarbs.co.uk Glen repairs SU carbs and did a really first class job on mine. I am sure he will be able to help you.

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Repairing SU H2 carb

Post by philthehill »

The plate referred to above does not retain the inlet pipe of the carb float lid.
The plate covers the breather hole in the carb float lid so as to exclude any dirt getting into the float chamber.
The inlet pipe is either retained (correct) or loose (faulty). You cannot braze or solder the pipe back in place.
I would suggest that you replace the faulty lid with a good S/H unit. There are several on 'e' bay for under a tenner.