Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
olonas
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: Purolator - how tight?

Post by olonas »

"You need a set of picks to easily get the old seal out."

I used to use a sewing needle with a bent pointy end with this type of filter.
Chief
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Chief »

I reckon a mobile phone repair kit which has both a hooked pry bar and a cam shaped flat pry tool would probably do the job without damage (provided it was the light blue plastic variant).

Well, I went out and fitted the housing (pre-filled with oil) and pressed it up as best I could while hand tightening the bolt until I could then tighten it a bit more with my socket and it seemed to become quite snug, I couldn't push the cannister up any further and the bolt stopped turning.

Since it did seem so snug I foolishly decided not to get a pan to put underneath and subsequently flooded the mat I was lying on with a pool of oil which poured out from the top where the housing meets the head.

I tried tightening it again, and there was a *sproinnggg* sound from the cannister and the bolt was suddenly turning more freely (I'm sure I wasn't cross threading etc. while hand tightening as it didn't require any effort to turn the bolt).

After tightening it until it seemed tight again, I ran the car on the starter again for 2-3 minutes (not continously) and didn't have any oil come out.

I presume the cannister wasn't completely empty since the oil was overflowing from the top, but if it was - would the 2-3 minutes be enough to fill an empty cannister and can I take it that (until I try starting the engine once I get fuel) it's probably now leak free?

svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

I think the canister fills in seconds with the engine spinning on the starter. You were being careful which is sensible. Go ahead and start up.

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

--