XPL59G

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
SGm4s0n
MMOC Member: No

XPL59G

Post by SGm4s0n »

Hi . New to the group. After trying to track down my late grandfathers traveller, I came across a thread for someone else on this group, also searching for the same car around 12 years ago!
Having reg checked the number plate, I suspect the car is long gone by now, but theres always a chance it could be tucked away somewhere safe. The reg was XPL59G, a maroon traveller. It was in Horsham west sussex for many years under my grandfathers ownership. Before he then passed the car on for something a little newer. Unfortunately , it was sold on rather fast and so we lost track of it.
Any info would be much appreciated!
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: XPL59G

Post by geoberni »

Don't expect anything from this.
As you've probably seen, using the DVLA Vehicle Check site, it's been un-taxed since 1/3/2005, but with a last V5C issued 2007, so it's been 'off the books' for 17 years.

Almost certainly scrapped many years ago, before they tightened up on scrap yards not doing the paperwork correctly.

If all the vehicles that still show up on the DVLA website, but with expired Tax from decades ago, were actually around somewhere they' be littering peoples gardens.
Several of my past cars, which I can remember registrations for, are still on there. For example, my 1977 Vauxhall Viva was last issued a V5C, and it's tax expired, in April 1992...
My 1992 Mitsubishi Spacewagon which I sold in 2005, tax expired 8/2005, but new V5C issued 3/2006.. which is a little odd because I sold it to a Pole who I know drove it back to Poland :-? (He called me from there a month later with a question about the Fuel Injectors, because he was having it converted to LPG :-? ). But that's still 19 years ago...

In the remote chance that XPL 59G is lurking somewhere, being a Traveller, it's likely a rotted wreck.
Basil the 1955 series II

Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

It could potentially be in a museum somewhere or private collection as a remote chance - I was watching an old (90's) TV program the other day, it had a vintage 1920/30's Bentley sports car on it - DVLA have no record of the plate on it, but I find it very hard to believe it got scrapped :D (not saying there's not the possibility, but I find it unlikely).

Funnily enough the same show had a Morris Minor, it's reg. plate still comes up as on the road 8)
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

A good number of classic cars have been exported in recent years. If the paperwork is correctly completed, the registration number no longer shows on a DVLA search :wink:
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Chief wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:25 am It could potentially be in a museum somewhere or private collection as a remote chance - I was watching an old (90's) TV program the other day, it had a vintage 1920/30's Bentley sports car on it - DVLA have no record of the plate on it, but I find it very hard to believe it got scrapped :D (not saying there's not the possibility, but I find it unlikely).

Funnily enough the same show had a Morris Minor, it's reg. plate still comes up as on the road 8)
I guess it depends on whether the vehicle is ever going to be considered roadworthy or not. For example, much of the Shuttleworth Collection is maintained as roadworthy. Likewise some of those at Brooklands. Their Minor Van is, while the Bedford BOAC Minibus is currently on a SORN :wink:
20220622_132321.jpg
20220622_132321.jpg (1.68 MiB) Viewed 304 times
20220622_140018.jpg
20220622_140018.jpg (1.59 MiB) Viewed 304 times
Basil the 1955 series II