Strange Pump arrangment....

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Strange Pump arrangment....

Post by geoberni »

Just spotted a job lot of SU fuel Pumps for sale on ebay.
This arrangement caught my eye . Any thoughts on what they were tying to achieve?

I've drawn the circuit arrows on. :-? :-? . Supply from where??
PUMP To Where.JPG
PUMP To Where.JPG (124.13 KiB) Viewed 558 times
Basil the 1955 series II

Chief
Minor Addict

Re: Strange Pump arrangment....

Post by Chief »

I believe it's from when SU partnered with M.C. Escher...

Maybe they thought it would give more horse power :D I mean I'm sure I'm wrong but could someone think the extra gravity of it being on a high mount bracket force more fuel into the car and.... I admit I'm as intrigued as you now I've seen your photo :)
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

Is it from a dual tank set up like a jag were a dash switch changes from left to right tank with a pump for each.
Or maybe dual pump so if one fails switch to back up such as on a rally car?
Regards Bill
mogbob
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by mogbob »

Having recently refurbished two SU AZX1308 Fuel pumps from a 1967 Jaguar MK2 'S' type 3.4L with separate fuel tanks in the wings, I can confirm that the arrangements pictured do not relate to a Jaguar set up.
The "twin" type SU ( top of picture ) AUF400 / AZX 1400 types were fitted to a number of larger engined classic cars, Rolls Royce, Jensens ,etc.

The set up in the lower part of the picture is of a very robust construction which I've not seen before. I confess I haven't heard of M C Escher.
The pipework simply joins the two inlet connections and the two outlet connections from the two individual SU pumps.
The " modern " connectors you've marked , would take the " supply" from the fuel tank and "deliver" to the carburettors.
Bob
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

Viz. and to whit:-
Escher's_Relativity.jpg
Escher's_Relativity.jpg (37.46 KiB) Viewed 463 times
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

mogbob wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:30 pm I confess I haven't heard of M C Escher.
mogbob

Couldn't help but smile at the coincidence of your location being so close in spelling (but not pronounciation admittedly) :D
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

mogbob wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:30 pm
The pipework simply joins the two inlet connections and the two outlet connections from the two individual SU pumps.
The " modern " connectors you've marked , would take the " supply" from the fuel tank and "deliver" to the carburettors.
Bob
No it doesn't. The pumps are not parallel, they're in series a circular circuit with 2 connections. :-?

We have 2 connections A & B and we have 2 Pumps A & B.

Assume for a moment that Connection A is the Inlet.
Pump A sucks the supply in at Connection A and the liquid, lets assume it's fuel, coloured Yellow goes into Pump A and comes out on the Lime Green arrow.
Lime Green goes around to Connection B. Is that the outlet?
Because it's on the inlet to Pump B... The now Blue Line is sucked up by Pump B, so diverting some of the flow to 'Outlet' B... :-?
The Blue Line enters Pump B and outputs as Red where it....joins Inlet A to feed Pump A.

If you change the Connection to work the other way around, it's still the same result, it's a Loop..A to B to A to B...
PUMP To Where2.JPG
PUMP To Where2.JPG (98.18 KiB) Viewed 435 times
Basil the 1955 series II

Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

The auction says "working when removed" so I guess you could message them and ask what it was removed from possibly.

But if you want a strange pump arrangement, how about this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/326019501968 :o