Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
TOMO28B
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

ELECTRICS

Post by TOMO28B »

Hi everyone, only new to the site. I have a 1968 Morris minor 2 door (1098), dynamo fitted, which has developed an electrical problem. I bought the car a few months ago as a running project and everything was working except a n/s rear indicator which was a bulb ,the interior light never worked its definitely had some light mods done to it in the past such as positive to negative earth,h4 headlamp change, front discs fitted. The problem I have is all of a sudden I have no rear light/indicators, the wipers have packed in, the indicator stalk doesn't flash or operate and the warning lights in the speedo don't work. I have horn ,headlamps (inluding high beam and front side lights. the car starts on the button. I can only assume it has a bad earth somewhere, but I believe the minor has several earths so I was wondering could any of your kind selves assist in there whereabouts. I am quite savvy with electrics so any advice would be grateful, cheers chaps, GT
svenedin
Minor Legend

Re: ELECTRICS

Post by svenedin »

By chance there is another thread running with exactly the same problem

viewtopic.php?t=77158

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

TOMO28B wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:27 am I have no rear light/indicators,
Rear lights are on the small inline fuse, as are the Panel Lights in the Speedo, are they working? Indicators are fused.
the wipers have packed in, the indicator stalk doesn't flash or operate and the warning lights in the speedo don't work.
That's all pretty much on the same fuse
I have horn ,headlamps (inluding high beam and front side lights. the car starts on the button.
Headlights aren't fused, but the front sidelights are on the same fuse as the rear...
I can only assume it has a bad earth somewhere, but I believe the minor has several earths so I was wondering could any of your kind selves assist in there whereabouts. I am quite savvy with electrics so any advice would be grateful, cheers chaps, GT
That's quite a list. I'd say you've got a 2 or 3 faults that have appeared at the some time, possibly due to some disturbance while doing something else. There's too many thing to all be earths, but only a few points of commonality of supply.
Work your way around systematically, you say you're savvy with electrics, get a multimeter out (or a test lamp if you have to) and see what power is where.
For example, the lack of rear lights while the front side lights are working, I'd suspect the common point where front & rear separate. Corroded bullet connector.

Clean the fuse holders. Check for supply after the fuses.
Don't just look at the fuse wire through the glass, the wire can break at the end and still look OK.
Basil the 1955 series II

TOMO28B
Minor Friendly

Post by TOMO28B »

Cheers for the advice. Will give it a go at the weekend as weather is atrocious here and have to work outside.