1275 installation clutch release

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
JeremyS556
MMOC Member: Yes

1275 installation clutch release

Post by JeremyS556 »

My Traveller has a 1275cc engine which was installed prior to my buying the car.
Since then I have gradually been ‘losing’ clutch pedal travel, resulting in the clutch engaging closer and closer to the floor. I have adjusted what appears to be the standard release linkage rod twice over a period to obtain the correct pedal free play and now have run out of adjustment!
As the linkage appears to be in reasonable condition am I right in thinking the issue must be the carbon release bearing worn out?
I ask your opinion as I assume the engine has a diaphragm clutch and therefore may it have a roller release bearing, which I can’t find listed other than for use with a hydraulic release conversion…….?
I would rather just order a standard carbon bearing but am slightly uneasy about whether the issue has arisen because of the original installation not being correct?
The other option which I can ill afford is to convert the whole lot to hydraulic operation….?!
Am I missing something and should I also renew the clutch release fork?
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: 1275 installation clutch release

Post by philthehill »

Before giving a qualified answer.
What 1275cc engine have you got fitted?
What gearbox have you got fitted?
Once the above questions are addressed suitable answers to your questions can be given.

JeremyS556

Post by JeremyS556 »

Hi Phil and thank you for your reply..I’m embarrassed to say that the only identification I have discovered for the engine, because the little aluminium engine number plate had been removed before I bought the car, is the number 12G940 cast into the cylinder head. The gearbox appears to be a Sprite/Midget one and I only know this because the mountings I bought from ESM were wrong and I ended up with the Sprite/Midget ones which are fine. The engine has twin HS2 SU carburettors and a three branch fabricated exhaust manifold.
Is that enough for you to advise me or I could take photos….?
Regards,
Jeremy
mowogg
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by mowogg »

Have you checked the clutch relay shaft bearings? The bearings fail in then ends and you slowly loose the clutch as thr pivot point drifts forwards.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The two identifiers of a 1275cc engine is the position of the oil filter and whether the cam followers are encased in the block or there are cam follower access chest covers.
The Marina/Ital engine has the oil filter just above and to the left of the distributer. The 1275cc Midget engine has the oil filter in the same position as the Minor 1000.
The Marina/Ital and 1275cc Midget has no access to the cam followers as the cam followers are encased in the block.
The 1275cc Cooper S has cam follower access covers.
Photos of the N/S and O/S of the engine would be appreciated.

Atulm
MMOC Member: No

Post by Atulm »

Since you have adjusted the linkage rod for two times it seems that the problem is with the worn carbon release bearing...
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Atulm
You may be right in your diagnosis but the OP has asked for an opinion on what clutch parts are fitted to his car.
There are several different types of carbon thrusts fitted the 'A' Series engine/gearbox so until the engine and gearbox have been positively identified a qualified answer cannot be given.

JeremyS556

Post by JeremyS556 »

Thank you all for your thoughts which are very much appreciated.

Phil, I have taken photos of both sides of the engine and have asked the ‘Administrator’ if / how I get them attached to a reply. The oil filter is below the alternator and there are no camshaft access covers in the other side, just “1275” plate at the front top end of the block.
I’ll be straight back assuming I am allowed to attach my pictures.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

From what you have said above the engine appears to be a 1275cc Midget/Sprite item.
Below is a useful link which identifies the various clutch release arms and carbon thrusts.
https://gerardsgarage.com/Garage/Tech/T ... arings.htm
From the above you should be able to identify what you require as regards carbon thrusts and release arms.
The Midget clutch operation using the Minor linkage is quite heavy.
Modifying the relay arm as shown in the drawing below makes the clutch operation more pleasurable.
Modified relay lever (1).jpg
Modified relay lever (1).jpg (74.42 KiB) Viewed 275 times
Here is a link to the MOSS web site for 1275cc clutch assys:-
https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-m ... 67-79.html
The release bearing required is Pt No: GRB 107 (MOSS).
Last edited by philthehill on Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JeremyS556

Post by JeremyS556 »

Hi Phil,
Wow! That’s just superb and thank you so much!
I just have to wait now for my technical ‘boss’ to make the time available for us to start the surgery and get the various new parts on order……
With your help we will be able thoroughly relish the job and ensure a ‘proper job’ is the outcome.
Best wishes,
Jeremy
…..and thanks again to the others who have offered their thoughts and advice
Attachments
IMG_0638.jpeg
IMG_0638.jpeg (3.85 MiB) Viewed 264 times
IMG_0634.jpeg
IMG_0634.jpeg (3.53 MiB) Viewed 264 times
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Thank you for the photos :tu1:
To confirm - you have a 1275cc MG Midget/Sprite engine.
I am confident that the gearbox is also 1275cc MG Midget/Sprite.
When you take out the engine - examine the gearbox first motion shaft for the stamped number. The stamped number will confirm which gearbox is fitted. The stamped number for a 1275cc gearbox should be 22G229.
The 1275cc MG Midget/Sprite clutch is a diaphragm unit with a carbon release bearing - see Moss parts link for further details.

JeremyS556

Post by JeremyS556 »

Once again Phil thank you very much indeed for your time and comprehensive advice.
If you weren’t clearly so busy I’d be back in touch with the outcome of my case, but I am absolutely confident you claim another happy correspondent!
Best wishes, Jeremy 👍