Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Klooid
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

1962 948cc MM - Compression Test

Post by Klooid »

Hi Everyone,

I have a 1962 948cc MM which starts and idles very well and does not belch any smoke from the exhaust.

However, the power starts to diminish fast when going up a hill, and hence I just carried out a compression test (after the engine was warned up) and I have had the following results:

Cylinder No. 1 - Dry and Throttle Open = 125 psi and with a squirt of Oil and Throttle Open = 130 psi
Cylinder No. 2 - Dry and Throttle Open = 119 psi and with a squirt of Oil and Throttle Open = 135 psi
Cylinder No. 3 - Dry and Throttle Open = 110 psi and with a squirt of Oil and Throttle Open = 129 psi
Cylinder No. 4 - Dry and Throttle Open = 125 psi and with a squirt of Oil and Throttle Open = 141 psi

In looking through this forum, these results appear to be on the low side, but before I go delving into a drastic full engine re-build, what do you think would be the primary cause of the compression loss with either Cylinder Head, Cylinder Bores, or both of these?

Thanks.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: 1962 948cc MM - Compression Test

Post by philthehill »

They are on the low side but if the engine is not using oil I would be inclined to run the engine a bit longer before considering an engine overhaul.
Whilst the 948cc engine is good it is not a power house.
Are you comparing the current engine power output with what you have experienced in the past?
I would suggest engine wear as the primary cause.

Klooid
Minor Friendly

Post by Klooid »

Hi Phil,

Thanks, and unfortunately, I have nothing to compare the power output with, as I have only had my MM for just over 18 months now, hence my only experience is that when I go up hill, I am having to use lower gears, and the trail of cars behind me.

However, I do like your inclination to run the engine a bit longer, as I'd rather spend some time on the bodywork if possible.

Thanks again.
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

I have a 1098 which is completely standard. I have always had a habit of having at run at a hill if the conditions allow. The power band (such as it is) is quite narrow so getting the revs right is quite important. Hills that the car finds quite easy with just me in the car are quite a different proposition with a passenger and a large dog. On really steep hills I have to drop to 2nd gear and on rare occasions I have had to stop to go into 1st. On even rarer occasions I have had to ask passengers to get out and walk! Those are very steep hills though. One was the road to Hartland Quay

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
oliver90owner
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by oliver90owner »

Your compression pressures appear fine - 120psi + or - 5psi is well within the expected normal range (spread). Pressure gauges are notoriously inaccurate, so the readings, while consistent, may not be totally accurate - I would be first checking with another good quality gauge, as the values do seem lowish.

There may be other reasons for low compression, such as changes by previous owners. Pistons with different crowns, or a non-standard cylinder head, could have been installed.

Assuming correct timing and carburation, does the engine breathe heavily from the crankcase? If not, the engine is likely in fair order - and if so, I would not be interfering with it!

There may be yet another alteration to the car which might lead to lower performance on inclines - if a higher ratio differential had been fitted.

The only vehicle I have had to alight from, for a steep incline, was in late ‘66 or early ‘67. That was from a Fiat 500 to allow it to negotiate a steep Mendip hill!

Just a few practical checks, before condemning the engine as the culprit.
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

oliver90owner wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:28 pm Your compression pressures appear fine - 120psi + or - 5psi is well within the expected normal range (spread). Pressure gauges are notoriously inaccurate, so the readings, while consistent, may not be totally accurate - I would be first checking with another good quality gauge, as the values do seem lowish.

There may be other reasons for low compression, such as changes by previous owners. Pistons with different crowns, or a non-standard cylinder head, could have been installed.

Assuming correct timing and carburation, does the engine breathe heavily from the crankcase? If not, the engine is likely in fair order - and if so, I would not be interfering with it!

There may be yet another alteration to the car which might lead to lower performance on inclines - if a higher ratio differential had been fitted.

The only vehicle I have had to alight from, for a steep incline, was in late ‘66 or early ‘67. That was from a Fiat 500 to allow it to negotiate a steep Mendip hill!

Just a few practical checks, before condemning the engine as the culprit.
There were 5 rugby playing lads in my car when I had to ask 2 to get out to get up a very steep hill. I think the clutch was on the way out as well. It was over 30 years ago.

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
oliver90owner
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by oliver90owner »

svenedin wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:59 pm

There were 5 rugby playing lads in my car when I had to ask 2 to get out to get up a very steep hill. I think the clutch was on the way out as well. It was over 30 years ago.

Stephen
Ahh, so the engine was not the reason for any inability to climb the hill? My memory must be better than yours, I think.🙂 We need facts, not claims that are later, in effect, withdrawn as above. It does not help the OP one iota.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

When the 948cc 'A' series engine is in good condition the compression reading should read around 140 - 150lb.
When the engine starts to wear the compression reading will get lower.
Even if the gauge is not perfectly accurate the relationship between the compression readings indicate that there is some wear to the engine.
The indicated 110lb is low but as I said above I personally would not at this moment overhaul the engine.

Klooid
Minor Friendly

Post by Klooid »

Thanks everyone for your comments, which is much appreciated, and has also given me some confidence to persevere a bit longer with the engine as is.

Hopefully , the weather will now improve to allow me to concentrate on some bodywork repair instead.

Thanks again.