Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
TOMO28B
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Lubricants

Post by TOMO28B »

Hi All, it's lubrication time for the old girl and was hoping someone could give me a rundown of the modern lubricants available for all the lube points. Obviously I don't want to use inferior oils,grease etc on her. I have an old Castrol lubrication chart showing me all the various grease,oil points etc,but as you know most of, it not all lubricants won't be available no. I will be replacing all the nipple points once I get the new oils/ grease etc as well. So a recap please, best modern oils for:(engine,gearbox,axles etc,/compatible greases and general lubricants please. Thanks buddies, Tom.
svenedin
Minor Legend

Re: Lubricants

Post by svenedin »

I hesitate to answer this because I don't want to start arguments! I can tell you what I use but I am by no means claiming this is the best and certainly not an exhaustive list. Everyone has their own favourites.

Engine Oil

20w/50 for Classic Cars

Examples: Castrol Classic XL 20w/50 (low detergent); Millers Pistoneeze Classic 20w/50 (moderate/high detergent)

Oils designed for classic cars use a Zinc compound called ZDDP as a major anti-wear compound. ZDDP is not compatible with catalytic converters so it is not used in oils designed for modern cars which use more exotic (and much more expensive) additives. Oil changes are frequent in classic cars whereas modern cars often use oils with extended service intervals.

Gearbox Oil

Same as for engine. Do NOT use EP oils

Differential

EP90 gear oil

This must be GL4 or if GL5 the oil must specify that it is safe for brass/bronze ("yellow metal safe"). The wrong oil will destroy the diff internally.

Examples: Comma EP90 GL4; Millers Classic Differential Oil EP90 GL5 (yellow metal safe)

General Lubrication

Trunnions, steering arms, propellor shaft universal joints, handbrake cables

Examples: Castrol Moly Grease, Castrol LM Grease

Steering Rack

EP90 oil as per differential

Front Wheel Bearings

Example: Castrol LM Grease

SU carburettor dashpot

Engine oil or proprietary dashpot oil

Armstrong Lever Action Dampers

Examples: Dynalite Shock Absorber OIl; Moss Shock Absorber Oil; Penrite Shocker Oil No 1

Other Lubricants

Red Rubber Grease
Silicone grease (poly bushes)
Copper grease (anti-seize)
General purpose LM (lithium) grease
Spray Lithium grease (useful for hard to access mechanisms e.g internal door mechanism)
Dry PTFE spray lubricant (e.g starter motor Bendix)

Tools

1) Decent grease gun. A flexible grease outlet is useful
2) A small oil pump makes filling the diff and gearbox much easier.
3) A small pump action oiler for the oil nipple on the steering rack

Techniques

Proper technique is important especially with such job as greasing trunnions. Search forum.

NB: WD40 is neither a lubricant nor a release agent. It is a water dispersant. It dries to a sticky mess and is not a very good release agent. Use PlusGas as release agent and the proper lubricant for lubrication. Keep the WD40 for cleaning garden tools.

Stephen
Last edited by svenedin on Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Stephen has given you a comprehensive list.

I would do some research before making rash statements:
Obviously I don't want to use inferior oils,grease etc on her. I have an old Castrol lubrication chart showing me all the various grease,oil points etc,but as you know most of, it not all lubricants won't be available no (sic).
Nothing could be further from the truth.
Almost everything is still available, perhaps not the specific Brands, but the types of lubricants are.
The reason being that lubricants and the items they lubricate are based on the technology of their original era.
Modern engine oils for example, designed for finer tolerances and component materials of the modern computer designed engine, have very different physical attributes to engines of 60+ years ago.
These days, to meet manufacturer's requirements, you have to get different Oil for a Ford from a GM or BMW, because the oil specification is part of the total engine design.
Put modern oil in and you are going to harm the engine.

Gear Oils are similarly era dependant.The materials and tolerances of a modern transmission system are far different to the pre1970s so use 'modern' lubricants at your peril.

Antifreeze/Coolant is also to a totally different technology, in fact there are about 5 different standards now, which are not compatible.

The materials used in a Minor Cooling system will not thank you for using Organic or Hybrid Coolant, it has to be 'Inorganic Additive Technology' or IAT, don't use OAT, HOAT, SiHOAT, PHOAT or any other combination.

Stick with what the Charts say.
Basil the 1955 series II

TOMO28B
Minor Friendly

Post by TOMO28B »

Thanks for the replies,most useful. How do I download photos by the way. Cheers.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

TOMO28B wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:23 pm Thanks for the replies,most useful. How do I download photos by the way. Cheers.
:tu1:
To add images, when you're writing a post/reply, scroll down a little and the net part down has 2 tabs, OPTIONS & ATTACHMENTS.
Attachments let's you add files.
If on a device where you can have multiple screens displayed, i.e PC, Laptop, Tablet, then you can also Drag and Drop.
Basil the 1955 series II

Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

TOMO28B wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:23 pm Thanks for the replies,most useful. How do I download photos by the way. Cheers.
However if you actually meant download, then you should be able to perform a right click or (on touch devices) long tap to get the required 'save as image' or whatever it may be called.

I know I bookmarked svenedin's high-res lubrication chart photo from his other thread since it saves looking in the handbook :D
TOMO28B
Minor Friendly

Post by TOMO28B »

Thanks for info
Attachments
Screenshot_20240207-141909.png
Screenshot_20240207-141909.png (808.04 KiB) Viewed 303 times
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Chief wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:14 pm
However if you actually meant download, then you should be able to perform a right click or (on touch devices) long tap to get the required 'save as image' or whatever it may be called.

I know I bookmarked svenedin's high-res lubrication chart photo from his other thread since it saves looking in the handbook :D
Hello Chief, if that chart is useful here it is without my scribble on it

Stephen
IMG_9159.jpeg
IMG_9159.jpeg (3.6 MiB) Viewed 301 times
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
TOMO28B
Minor Friendly

Post by TOMO28B »

Yeh,very useful thanks