Hazard lights

Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Davidmoore
MMOC Member: No

Hazard lights

Post by Davidmoore »

Just bought a 67 Traveler and the Hazards (4 way flasher) switch was broken. I bought a new switch, opened up the dash to connect it, three green wires but one did not go to anything. It was just hanging there to start with, there must be a female socket under the dash somewhere but I can’t find it. Any ideas? Were they stock un the UK in 67 or is this after market add on?
svenedin
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Hazard lights

Post by svenedin »

No Minor ever had hazard lights from the factory. Maybe you could post a photo of what you have?

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

Mine is a self contained switch and flasher unit it has power, ground and one wire to left and one to right flasher circuits the only connection to original wiring.
See viewtopic.php?t=76111
Regards Bill
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

As we've established, Minors never had them originally, they were an early/mid 1970s invention.

The original aftermarket kits were different from the ones you get now.
These days they all seem to come with a couple of wires intended to isolate the main indicators Flasher, so you don't get flasher units competing should you decide to operate the Hazards when the Indicator is already selected.

Back in the 70s, Hazards were simply that, a switch to use when you broke down in a dangerous place; not the Switch you operated when you might already have used the indicator to pull over on the Double Yellows and are now using the 'Park Where I Like Lamps'....

So original Units tend to have :
4 (sometimes only 2) identical colour wires (green most likely), which are for connection to the Indicators,
1 Power (red) and probably also an Earth (black) unless earthed via the casing or switch body.

These days a replacement will often have :
2 wires for Indicators,
2 wires for isolating the Indicator Flasher Unit
2 wires for Power & Earth.

I can't explain why your original had 3 green wires?
Only the original instructions would have provided that info. But you should only need two, 1 for each side.
Basil the 1955 series II

Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

geoberni wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:59 pm AI can't explain why your original had 3 green wires?
Only the original instructions would have provided that info. But you should only need two, 1 for each side.
Perhaps the 3rd is the warning light if they are switch wires.
Regards Bill
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Bill_qaz wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:55 pm
geoberni wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:59 pm AI can't explain why your original had 3 green wires?
Perhaps the 3rd is the warning light if they are switch wires.
I wouldn't expect a Warning lamp line as the Switch Top usually contains an inbuilt lamp, but it could be. In which case why isn't it being used..... :-?
Basil the 1955 series II