Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mogieminor
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Clutch fork gaiter

Post by mogieminor »

Have adjusted clutch free play on my new traveler to correct setting and everything seems to be working ok apart from the fact that the fork gaiter ( looks new ) is pulled out of its opening at the front by full depression of the clutch pedal. Any thoughts, suggestion on how to rectify would be much appreciated.
NB have made sure that it’s fitted in its grove beforehand
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Clutch fork gaiter

Post by simmitc »

Could you post a photo in case we can see anything odd.
mogieminor
Minor Friendly

Post by mogieminor »

Hope photos help. With further research it seems these types of gaiter normally always with a round hole that fits over the fork which is the type sold by Morris parts suppliers but I also see some pictures where there is an oval hole that fits over the fork. As this is a reconditioned box I wonder if the wrong type of gaiter has been put on???
Attachments
IMG_1562.jpeg
IMG_1562.jpeg (1.43 MiB) Viewed 291 times
IMG_1565.jpeg
IMG_1565.jpeg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 291 times
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Well, that's odd as all the ones I've seen have a more oblong hole and gaiter. The ESM one (for all OHV models) is oblong: https://www.morrisminorspares.com/gearb ... 37-p830859
The question then is - what shape hole have you in your gearbox?
mogieminor
Minor Friendly

Post by mogieminor »

Thanks for your interest and reply. The hole in the gearbox is the what I believe is the standard rectangle with rounded corners and the gaiter fits this perfectly. The hole I’m referring to is the one at the opposite end of the gaiter which fits over the clutch fork and is normally round as per link to ESM that you sent. An oval hole at this end would allow for more movement of the fork without wrenching the gaiter
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Ah, I understand now. Yes, I can see that the gaiter is being pulled out in your picture. Have you been underneath with someone else pressing the pedal down so you can see if anything is catching anywhere? Maybe someone else will be along in a bit with ideas....obviously, it shouldn't pull out normally. The only other thing I can see is that the groove which fits in the box does seem rather wide to me in the second picture - or is it just stretched like that as its being pulled out?
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Firstly you do not have a Morris Minor gearbox casing fitted. The standard Morris Minor gearbox casing does not have the two threaded holes which are there to mount a hydraulic slave cylinder for operating the clutch release arm. The aperture in the bell housing for the release lever may be compromised by the hydraulic slave cylinder mounting bosses.
You could always try a MG Midget clutch release arm gaiter Pt No: 22H1337 even though the part numbers are the same for the 1098cc Minor 22H1337.
As the gearbox is a reconditioned unit you may even have the wrong release arm which allows the arm to travel further so pulling the gaiter out of the hole. Or even the wrong gearbox front plate which effects the pivot point of the release arm. Or the wrong carbon thrust.
See link for details
https://gerardsgarage.com/Garage/Tech/T ... arings.htm
The round hole at the outer end of the gaiter and which fits around clutch release arm is correct.
If the hole were oblong it would negate the whole idea of having a gaiter which is there to stop crud getting into the bell housing.
I would suggest that the gaiter rubber material may be a bit stiffer than it should be and that could be (in conjunction with the suggestions above) what is causing it to pull out of the gearbox release lever hole in the bell housing.
As an interim solution:-
Make sure that there are no burrs on the release arm that stops the gaiter moving up and down the release lever when the clutch is depressed. If there are burrs clean them off and apply some grease to the release lever arm to allow a smooth gaiter slide on the arm.

mogieminor
Minor Friendly

Post by mogieminor »

My thanks to those who have replied. philthehill (great name) has provided some excellent and detailed feedback with attachments that I need to spend time going thro and checking what I’ve actually got. Thought changing gearbox would be a simple matter but it seems theres so many variations that need to be taken into account so if your thinking about it then do your homework in full