Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
BaritoneUke
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Opening up a 202 head

Post by BaritoneUke »

Got a couple of spare 1098 heads kicking about and have decided to have a go at improving one (a la David Vizard's interesting book) so I need a die grinder...prob. mains electric (my compressor good for paint but runs out of breath with rotary tools) anybody found a good one? The main target is opening up the cylinder head around the valves a little to improve air flow, the ports themselves just need a bit of smoothing apparently.
King Kenny
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: Opening up a 202 head

Post by King Kenny »

I did the same many years ago when I overhaled the engine. I followed the book but did not go the full hog. One thing I did do was open up the carburetted in the way he suggests, from round to square bore and feather the throttle disk etc. Every thing went smoothly and the car runs OK. I can't say that it dramatically improved things or produced more power but the engine seems to run smoother. Good luck with your project.
1969 Traveller in Almond green. Owned since 1979.
BaritoneUke
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Opening up a 202 head

Post by BaritoneUke »

King Kenny wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:00 pm I did the same many years ago when I overhaled the engine. I followed the book but did not go the full hog.
Yes I might not go the whole hog either. Bigger inlet valves would prob. make a big difference but then there's a trade off with fuel economy. :tu1: