Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
AndyC
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Indicators

Post by AndyC »

Wonder if anyone can help with an indicator problem I have .
Indicate left and it works but no light on the stalk but I can hear indicator clicking , when using right indicator , no indicators and the stalk light is on permanently?
Thanks in advance
geoberni
Minor Legend

Re: Indicators

Post by geoberni »

What year car, what Indicator system?

From the sounds of it, almost certainly the Flasher Unit is faulty; but you can always do some electrical fault finding with a Multimeter or test lamp....
Basil the 1955 series II

svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

We need a bit more information in order to help you. This is because there are various possible systems. Later Minors had flashing indicators as standard but earlier cars can have all kinds of after market "home brew" solutions to providing flashing indicators.

What year is your car? Do you have a can type relay on the bulkhead? This is mounted on the bulkhead below where the heater water hoses pass through. Last question, are you using standard bulbs or trying to use LED's.

Stephen
Last edited by svenedin on Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
AndyC
Minor Friendly

Post by AndyC »

1959 with retro fitted indicators and still has trafficators, thought the flasher unit was on the bulkhead but can’t see it, so maybe under the dash?
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

AndyC wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:20 pm 1959 with retro fitted indicators and still has trafficators, thought the flasher unit was on the bulkhead but can’t see it, so maybe under the dash?
Yes possibly under the dash or accessed by removing a glovebox, most likely the drivers side glovebox. My car is much later than yours so I am not much use helping here. If it was all working before and now is not working then it is going to be a matter of trying to trace the fault. It may be that a relay is faulty but also consider bad connections and especially bad earth connections. It takes very little corrosion on a connection to cause problems. Disconnect the battery before working behind the dashboard as there are some connections that are permanently live (not ignition switched live) and you could cause a short with a screwdriver.

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

The clicking you can here is the flasher unit so listen and look with it clicking to help locate it.
Regards Bill
AndyC
Minor Friendly

Post by AndyC »

I have found the indicator unit, it currently only has 2 wires connected to it, shouldn’t it have 3 and possibly one has come off?
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

AndyC wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:21 pm I have found the indicator unit, it currently only has 2 wires connected to it, shouldn’t it have 3 and possibly one has come off?
It simply depends on what sort of after market system was installed.

Here's just an example of how they could be connected.
Indicators.JPG
Indicators.JPG (64.71 KiB) Viewed 225 times
Since you have 2 different faults when you switch L or R, it's not just going to be a 'wire off'' in the Flasher. But it could be wiring elsewhere.

My car is a SII, so I'm not that familiar with the early 1000 model Trafficator system.
If memory serves correctly, you have a Stalk on the Steering Column for the Trafficators. There could be a problem with the connections where the Indicators have been added to the Trafficator system.
AndyC wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:20 pm 1959 with retro fitted indicators and still has trafficators,
Are your Trafficators and Indicators both working from the same switch?
You might have 2 Flasher Units, one for LH and another for RH. It's a simple way to have Indicators and Trafficators working together.
Basil the 1955 series II

AndyC
Minor Friendly

Post by AndyC »

Trafficators are on a separate switch
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

AndyC wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:23 pm Trafficators are on a separate switch
OK, sorry to drag this out. I re-read your original Question....
AndyC wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:59 pm
Indicate left and it works but no light on the stalk but I can hear indicator clicking , when using right indicator , no indicators and the stalk light is on
So have the Indicators been put on the stalk, and the Trafficators moved to another switch? :-?

Has the car had a loom replacement, or is it the old cloth covered wiring?
Because it might have had a latter loom fitted.
Basil the 1955 series II

AndyC
Minor Friendly

Post by AndyC »

Yes, trafficators on a switch on the dash and indicators on the stalk
AndyC
Minor Friendly

Post by AndyC »

geoberni wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:40 pm
AndyC wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:23 pm Trafficators are on a separate switch
OK, sorry to drag this out. I re-read your original Question....
AndyC wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:59 pm
Indicate left and it works but no light on the stalk but I can hear indicator clicking , when using right indicator , no indicators and the stalk light is on
So have the Indicators been put on the stalk, and the Trafficators moved to another switch? :-?

Has the car had a loom replacement, or is it the old cloth covered wiring?
Because it might have had a latter loom fitted.
Old cloth covered wiring
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

AndyC wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:21 pm I have found the indicator unit, it currently only has 2 wires connected to it, shouldn’t it have 3 and possibly one has come off?
Is a two or three pin flasher unit? Then you will know which of geoberni wiring diagram to follow.
Regards Bill
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

AndyC wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:48 pm Yes, trafficators on a switch on the dash and indicators on the stalk
OK, so they've diverted the Trafficator Wiring to a 'new' switch, and connected the original Stalk to the Indicators.

You mentioned only 2 wires connected to the Flasher Unit. Has it got a 3rd connection terminal on it? Or is it a 2 pin Unit?

It's really difficult trying to think of what could be wrong, when I don't know what standard of wiring exists.
The Indicators could have been installed professionally, by a complete Cowboy, or somewhere in the middle...
With the original wiring, this could just be the time that it has finally given up, with a several things wrong at once.

I'm lucky, my car had a new Loom installed about 25 years ago, before I brought him, but that's a whole different tale....

You'll need to follow the wiring around the car to establish exactly where the wiring has been connected together.
Basil the 1955 series II