A-series 1098 rebuild video (also blocked breather)

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
svenedin
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

A-series 1098 rebuild video (also blocked breather)

Post by svenedin »

A friend sent me a link to this long (nearly an hour) professional rebuild video of a Morris Minor 1098cc engine.

I thought it may be of interest.

If you do not want to watch the whole video there is a particularly interesting bit at around the 23 minute mark. It concerns the older style breather pipe on the tappet chest cover which is completely blocked with years of crud. Since questions about oil leaks are so frequent and the breathing system is so important in this respect I just thought this illustrated the issue very well.

Stephen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=deskt ... 8rPIQlp98n
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
rocco
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: A-series 1098 rebuild video (also blocked breather)

Post by rocco »

Thanks for sharing, that was a really good video and will be a good reference for myself and anyone else who does a rebuild. :tu1:
1961 Morris Minor 1000
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Thank you Rocco. I did think of you when I posted this and I am glad it was informative.

For the non-engineer like me the video did show that there is an awful lot involved in the proper overhaul of an engine. Just seeing the premises and how many different areas of the workshop there are was fascinating. I noticed that the rooms become cleaner and cleaner the further on the engine overhaul goes. The primary survey/stripdown area is rather dirty but the final assembly area is spotlessly clean like an operating theatre!

I was interested to see how the rockers with bushes were honed to a perfect fit on the rocker shaft as well as many other things.

One tiny thing I noticed was that in the fully reassembled engine the engine steady bracket was fitted upside down.

It really is a remarkable engine the humble A-series.

Stephen

Stephen
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

I may have missed it but was there a reference/comment regarding to moving the No: 1 rocker shaft pillar to the No: 2 position and any issues that may occur?
The rocker shaft being used in the rebuild was the later type with the locating peg moved to No: 2 position.
The peg was moved by BMC because of occurrences of rocker shaft failure around No:1 pillar because of the number of holes required in the rocker shaft.
When the locating peg is moved to No:2 position it requires No: 1 pillar to have a vertical oil transfer hole/gallery so that oil can get from the head to the rocker shaft.
I always use the after market thick wall rocker shafts when rebuilding the rocker assys. The thicker wall of the shaft gives me a bit more assurance that the rocker shaft is not going to fail.

svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

I don't think he mentions moving the pedestal but he does mention the pedestal locking screw and shows the oil way in the rocker shaft.

When my cylinder head was rebuilt last year it had the thicker wall rocker shaft

Stephen
Last edited by svenedin on Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Cylinder head with oil way to rocker shaft pedestal arrowed (cylinder 1 position/front of engine)
IMG_9337.jpeg
IMG_9337.jpeg (2.58 MiB) Viewed 212 times

Thicker wall type rocker shaft
IMG_9339.jpeg
IMG_9339.jpeg (2.04 MiB) Viewed 212 times

Rocker assembly top view showing locking pedestal in position 2 (this pedestal does not have an oil way hole in the base see bottom picture. I think this is because it is a later pedestal)
IMG_9336.jpeg
IMG_9336.jpeg (1.33 MiB) Viewed 212 times

Rocker assembly bottom view
IMG_9338.jpeg
IMG_9338.jpeg (1.24 MiB) Viewed 212 times

Stephen
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Earlier arrangement with locking pedestal in position 1. Note that these are earlier pedestals (note different shape) and in this case, the locking pedestal DOES have an oil hole in the bottom. It has to as it is in position 1 here and that is where the oil way is in the cylinder head.
IMG_8997.jpeg
IMG_8997.jpeg (2.81 MiB) Viewed 208 times

Stephen
rocco
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by rocco »

Why do all the pedestals in those photos have oil holes in them if the head only has one?

I would like to have seen the acid bath the guy used. You're right about the cleanliness, not going be as easy for a hobby mechanic but that's part of the challenge. The machines that these workshops have run in to the hundreds of thousands.

I think I'll need to use exchange/remanufactured parts but hopefully, the engine I will get next month won't need so much expensive work and I can just clean and rebuild it
1961 Morris Minor 1000
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Because it is easier to have a pedestal with oil transfer hole under one part number than have several variations of pedestals with different part numbers. The extra hole is not expensive to produce.
The 'bull head' pedestals in the photo above were made in alloy (chuck them in the scrap bin even though some list them as competition pedestals - no way!!!) and steel. The steel 'bull head' pedestals are the best (as fitted to the Cooper S) and can be machined to allow the rocker hammer end to fit central over the valve stem. With the sintered steel pedestal/rocker machining is unable to be carried out to centralise the rocker. The width of the sintered rocker is what allows it to fit anywhere over the head of the valve stem.

svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Phill can you explain what the different type of pedestals are please? I don't understand which are the bull head type you refer to.

In my pictures, the type of pedestal in my picture of the old oily cylinder head prior to refurbishment I did throw away the pedestals as scrap. The rebuilt rocker assembly has later steel pedestals. However, I am not sure whether this is exactly what you mean?

Stephen

Stephen
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

If you look down onto the top of the pedestals in the photo immediately above - the impression is of looking down at a bulls head.
They were produced in both alloy and forged steel - not sintered. They have scalloped sides which allows for some metal to be removed for rocker alignment.
The sintered steel rockers have plain sides and a non shaped top surface. Unfortunately they cannot be machined to allow centralisation of the rocker on the top of the valve stem.
There are some after market steel - not sintered rocker pillars that look like and are shaped like the sintered pillars.
Below is a forged steel bulls head rocker pillar being machined by me to allow centralisation of the rocker over the valve stem.
Rocker pillar machining 2.jpg
Rocker pillar machining 2.jpg (77.8 KiB) Viewed 118 times
Once you have machined the pillars you can assemble the rockers as in the photo below - all rocker arms central to the valve stem. The rockers are after market items and the springs are replaced with steel spacers/shims.
Rockers 2.JPG
Rockers 2.JPG (1.48 MiB) Viewed 115 times