Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
miker519
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

stainless window frames what model?

Post by miker519 »

How can I tell what model the spare window frames that I have have come off as I have most of a set for a two door but cannot tell if they will fit a 65 2 door saloon. Are all 2 doors the same IE saloon, traveller, van & pick up ?
Is there away of checking what I have?
As a newbie any help would be appreciated.
Best regards Mike R
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: stainless window frames what model?

Post by philthehill »

The upper door frame for a 2 door irrespective of year of manufacture is 31 1/2" wide at top of actual door.
Any other measurement is relative to van, pickup and 4 door saloon.

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

2 door saloon, convertible and traveller are interchangeable. Van and pick-up use the front doors from a 4door saloon which are the shorter doors and frames. There are only these two different sizes. If your spare pair are the same length as the ones on your car, then they will fit. There is about 4 inches difference between the 2 sizes I think so it is pretty clear. There is another thread on this same subject currently with the measurement.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Your question was about Stainless window frames, but then broadened to frames in general

Other's have already mentioned relative dimensions, LCV used same as 4dr, as it doesn't need to provide access to a rear seat.
2dr, Traveller and Tourer all use a wider door for rear access.

As to Chrome Surrounds, as far as I'm aware, they were only standard on the 4 Dr and Traveller.

The 2Dr and Tourer are the only models in the Car parts list (AKD 3542, which only covers 1000 models) that adds a caveat 'State colour when ordering' to the common part number for window frames.
The 4 Dr and Traveller simply gives a part number.

These days it's not unusual to see 2 Dr with Chrome window surround, like my SII, simply because a rotted Traveller has previously been a donor for the doors...

If anyone knows anything else, please correct my limited knowledge on the matter.
I don't think Chrome window frames were ever in a 'Deluxe' trim offering for 2Dr/Tourer models???
Basil the 1955 series II

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

geoberni wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 11:19 am Your question was about Stainless window frames, but then broadened to frames in general

Other's have already mentioned relative dimensions, LCV used same as 4dr, as it doesn't need to provide access to a rear seat.
2dr, Traveller and Tourer all use a wider door for rear access.

As to Chrome Surrounds, as far as I'm aware, they were only standard on the 4 Dr and Traveller.

The 2Dr and Tourer are the only models in the Car parts list (AKD 3542, which only covers 1000 models) that adds a caveat 'State colour when ordering' to the common part number for window frames.
The 4 Dr and Traveller simply gives a part number.

These days it's not unusual to see 2 Dr with Chrome window surround, like my SII, simply because a rotted Traveller has previously been a donor for the doors...

If anyone knows anything else, please correct my limited knowledge on the matter.
I don't think Chrome window frames were ever in a 'Deluxe' trim offering for 2Dr/Tourer models???
The bright window frames fitted to Travellers and 4door saloons are indeed made of stainless steel. They are not "chrome" which is simply a plating.
You're right, these stainless steel frames never were anything to do with a "deluxe" specification. Our standard/basic specification 4door had stainless steel window frames as all 4door cars seem to and our deluxe 2door had painted ones - although later in life it has acquired stainless ones from a Traveller to avoid the need to repaint the originals which become chipped during use.
I believe that some other markets had slightly different specifications and some 2door cars supplied to the US and Australia for example seem to have been fitted with stainless window frames from new? Very little is set in stone!
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Sorry, shiny stuff seems to make my mind default to 'Chrome' as a description... :oops: :lol:

The choices of finish supplied do seem a bit random don't they.... :roll:
Basil the 1955 series II

dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

Probably an answer to a question that wasn't asked but I always found the quarter lights that were not stainless steel rusted but the rest of the frames were fine. I changed out to stainless quarter lights in standard frames to solve the problem.