Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Butlers rear indicators with angled mounting blocks

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
Bought these off eBay, quick rewire, tested them and they were ready to fit.
I was going to buy a pair of standard Morris indicators, like you see on the back of the Traveller, however these came up with the rubber mounting blocks included, so I jumped on them.
Does anywhere make the mounting blocks still? I have never seen them advertised anywhere, so thought that they have gone the way of the dinosaurs but I'd be interested to know if I am wrong in this assumption.
Best wishes,
Mike.
Attachments
Butlers Ltd Indicators with angled mounting blocks.jpg
Butlers Ltd Indicators with angled mounting blocks.jpg (17.3 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
johngrigg
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Re: Butlers rear indicators with angled mounting blocks

Post by johngrigg »

I bought a pair from ESM recently, well, within the last 2 years anyway, that's recent for a resto.... from memory they are a bit hard to track down on their site cheers JohnG
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
I found this history of Butlers Ltd. on 'Grace's Guide to British Industrial History' and thought I'd post it on here for anyone who's interested.
Sadly another British manufacturer who's long gone.................
Best wishes,
Mike.

Butlers Ltd of Grange Road, Small Heath

1911 Company formed as a family business of brassfounders at Smallheath, Birmingham, and developed as an important manufacturer and supplier of motor vehicle lamps.
1939 Manufacturer of reference goods
1948 At the time of its acquisition by Lucas, 60 per cent of Butler's production was represented by its sales of lamps of various types to Ford and Vauxhall and to Simms (who resold the lamps to heavy vehicle manufacturers) for use as initial equipment.
At this time, Butlers was supplying the whole of Ford's requirements of lamps for initial equipment. Butlers also had a substantial business in the supply to wholesalers of accessory lamps, mainly foglamps and spare tail-lamps of various sizes. Lucas reported that it knew that Ford, Vauxhall and Simms would not like the purchase and that it did not want to upset them or disturb Butlers' wholesale customers or its own wholesalers at home or abroad; nevertheless it decided to accept the offer it had received from Butlers on the general ground that it would be a mistake to refuse the additional capacity, particularly for short orders and obsolete types of lamps.
1952 The purchase of the share capital of Butlers was effected through nominees, and ownership by Lucas was not made public until 1952 when the company was listed as a subsidiary in Lucas's Annual Report. Also Lucas did not want to bring the spares side of Butlers' business into the Lucas distribution and service network but wished to study it and find out how it worked. Lucas also said that it did not want to add to current press criticism of itself as a monopolistic giant which absorbed competitors.
1963 Motor Show exhibitor. Lighting equipment. Of Small Heath, Birmingham

See Also
 1951 Motor Show
 1963 Motor Show
 George William Brown (1884-1951)
 Joseph Lucas Ltd
 The Engineer 1920/01/02
Sources of Information
 [1] Competition Commission Web Site
 1963 Motor Show
Categories:
• Town - Birmingham
• Automotive Components
Attachments
Butlers Ltd. August 1926.jpg
Butlers Ltd. August 1926.jpg (121.04 KiB) Viewed 1141 times
Butlers Ltd. October 1931.jpg
Butlers Ltd. October 1931.jpg (136.05 KiB) Viewed 1141 times
Butlers Ltd. 1942 Atlantic. Products for aircraft..jpg
Butlers Ltd. 1942 Atlantic. Products for aircraft..jpg (169.57 KiB) Viewed 1141 times
Last edited by jagnut66 on Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

(It seems I can only upload so many pictures onto a single post on this new site....)
Attachments
Butlers Ltd. 1943 Atlantic. Products for aircraft..jpg
Butlers Ltd. 1943 Atlantic. Products for aircraft..jpg (176.89 KiB) Viewed 1140 times
Butlers Ltd. October 1951.jpg
Butlers Ltd. October 1951.jpg (137.61 KiB) Viewed 1140 times
Butlers Ltd. 1962 (resize).jpg
Butlers Ltd. 1962 (resize).jpg (89.27 KiB) Viewed 1140 times
Last edited by jagnut66 on Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
amgrave
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by amgrave »

That was interesting reading, thanks.