Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
john newton
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

top trunions

Post by john newton »

in the process replacing steering pins,i notice the large washer has got a groove around it. left side was different to right side.for the life of me i cant understand why. which is correct fitment. re ,john.
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: top trunions

Post by philthehill »

I read it that you are referring to the large top trunnion pin bush retaining/support washer Item No: 22 in the link below.
https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-m ... 51-71.html

There are at least two styles of large washer for the top trunnion.

1. The two piece welded together washer with the elongated anti-rotational slot. The reduced diameter washer goes to the outside then the lock washer and then the nut.

2. The solid one piece washer with the elongated anti-rotational slot. An after-market item. The washer must be fitted the right way round with recess towards the bush as the recess fits over a machined shoulder then the lock washer and then the nut. The threads are UNF. The large single piece washer and pin have a much better finish than the original BMC items and I am in the process of replacing the BMC items with the aftermarket items.

So long as the washer retains the bush having two different style washers is not a problem.

A photo of your large washer would be appreciated or an item number reference in the link above.

john newton
Minor Friendly

Post by john newton »

hello, phill, your description of large washer is better than mine, but fits the bill exactly. having a rummage into a30/35 bits this washer looks identical to bottom inner susp pan/chassis link the recess being used to locate.i wonder if this is just a parts bin use up. re john.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

John
The recessed washer ((either Pt No: ACA5253 or ACA5268) fitted between the front suspension eye bolt and the chassis leg was fitted/utilised as part of the factory change over from screwed top trunnions to rubber bushed top trunnions.

I am using similar washer to adjust the camber on my Minor.

I cannot remember what a A35 recessed washer looks like even though I have overhauled lots of A30/35 front suspensions in the past. A photo of the washer for comparison would be appreciated.

john newton
Minor Friendly

Post by john newton »

hello again phil, a35 washer mislade as quick as found,i looked it up on bull motif,it is a stepped welded washer with tongue on edge,describedas special lock washer for inner fulcrum bolt. i am completley useless at pic,s . re,john.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

John
No matter about the picture your description has reminded me of the A35 washer which is completely different to the Minor large washer mentioned above.
This is the link to the A35 special washer:-

https://www.austina30a35parts.co.uk/pro ... 027/ZFS027