By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
davecopp
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Torsion Bar

Post by davecopp »

IMG_1852.JPG
IMG_1852.JPG (2.38 MiB) Viewed 703 times
The photo shows that I have re-fitted the torsion bar but I was a little concerned when I put the tie bar into position and realised it was out of line by about 4" if I mount it on the front and then try and attach it to the lower arm. I appreciate this may all change when everything is fitted together and under stress but I didn't expect it to be so far out. Is this normal. I have not moved the lower arm or the lever on their respective splines since I took it off. My other question is, although I took a photo of the plate position on the lever arm, unfortunately I have lost the photos. Which would be the best hole to use as a starting point. I appreciate it will probably need moving when the car is back on its feet. Any advioce would be appreciated.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Torsion Bar

Post by philthehill »

The position you find the front thick/thin arm is not unusual. It will all go back together as it should be when the load is on suspension.
Set the thick/thin arms as per the free from load measurement which is measurement 'C' in the diagram below.
I would use the middle hole of the rear sector plate.
Suspension height setting.jpg
Suspension height setting.jpg (301.04 KiB) Viewed 696 times

davecopp
Minor Friendly

Post by davecopp »

Thank you Phil.
davecopp
Minor Friendly

Post by davecopp »

Hi
With regard to re-installing the torsion bar the diagrams show 2 washers on the bolt that fix the lever arm and adjusting plate to the cross member. Both of them are numbered 80. One of them is between the adjusting plate and the lever arm but I'm not sure which side of the cross member the other one should be. Should it be sandwiched between the cross member and the adjusting plate or should it be up against the head of the bolt on the other side of the cross member?

Thanks
jaekl
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by jaekl »

Due to the slot in the cross member, there should be a washer to continuous surface for the nut/lock washer.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The Vernier plate should be hard up against the front/under top of the cross-member with no washer between it and the cross-member.
The first of the two washers (Item No: 80) should be fitted under the head of the bolt so as to cover the adjustment slot. and the second washer between the Vernier plate and the lever. The bolt should be inserted from the rear and a spring washer and nut fitted over the end of the bolt once the bolt has been fitted.

davecopp
Minor Friendly

Post by davecopp »

Brilliant. Thanks Phil.
Dave