Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Salad dodger
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

hello & a key issue

Post by Salad dodger »

Hello , new to the forum having just taken delivery of my first moggy.
A 1956 splitty called Mabel.
There's a few issues need ironing out (not least 50 yrs of electrical bodgings) but my main problem atm is keys.
She came with an ignition key but no door or boot key.
Is there any way of knowing what key will fit my locks ? or will I need to buy 2 new barrels?
The Lord said unto John: Come forth, and I will give you eternal life. But John came fifth & won a toaster
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: hello & a key issue

Post by ManyMinors »

Either find somebody with a big box of old keys and try them.....Or, you'll have to remove the handles and clean them up until you can decipher the key number which is stamped into them on the shaft of the boot handle and on the body of the door handle. Originally they would have been keys from the FP series.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Hello and welcome. I hope that you enjoy many years with Mabel.

If you apply to the British Motor Museum at Gaydon for a Heritage Certificate, quoting the chassis number, then they will give you a copy of the factory records which will show the key number - it's easier than removing and stripping the locks :wink:
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

That is true BUT originally the ignition key would have fitted at least the door and possibly the bootlid as well? If that is no longer the case, then locks have already been changed and a heritage certificate will only be of academic interest. Worth getting if you're interested in the car's history but do be warned that the cost is approaching £50.00 :o They won't "give" you a certificate.
I could remove my door handle and check the key number for quite a bit less than that but it depends on how you value your time I suppose :wink:
If you have an old fashioned local garage, they might well have a big box of old keys and let you have a rummage through them? You might just find a key which fits.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

BUT it could be the ignition barrel that has changed, and the door and boot are original. Who knows? The certificate is a starting point as an alternative to stripping; but nothing is guaranteed - I have seen barrels / locks without numbers on them.
Salad dodger
Minor Friendly

Post by Salad dodger »

Thanks for the replies.
At £50 to possibly find out the original key number which still might not be right due to already being changed, it would be cheaper to buy new locks :lol:
Not sure if there are any garages locally that are proper old school.
Looks like I’ll be stripping the locks out then .
Cheers folks 8)
The Lord said unto John: Come forth, and I will give you eternal life. But John came fifth & won a toaster
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

It just happens that I have the door apart on my car at the moment.
Picture of door handle key number......
Door handle key number.JPG
Door handle key number.JPG (282.88 KiB) Viewed 863 times
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

And the bootlid handle:
Boot handle key number.JPG
Boot handle key number.JPG (207.65 KiB) Viewed 863 times
Salad dodger
Minor Friendly

Post by Salad dodger »

ManyMinors wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:12 pm And the bootlid handle: Boot handle key number.JPG
That definitely looks like the easiest way to get the numbers then, cheers
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

I hate to keep BUTting, BUT, if the barrel has been replaced then the number on the handle may not be correct. To be certain, you will need to remove the barrel and hope that it has a number stamped on it - not all do. Depending on where in the country you are, you could visit any of the traders who advertise in Minor Matters and see what keys they might have, or take the lock to an autojumble and see what you can pick up there. On the subject of "ease", the boot lock is fairly simple to remove, but there's quite a bit involved to strip a door and remove the lock. Hopefully the boot lock will have a (correct) number on it, and that key will also operate the door lock.
Salad dodger
Minor Friendly

Post by Salad dodger »

Thanks folks for the help, I found a number stamped into the boot lock stem & ordered an fp with that number.
Perfect fit & now I can lock & unlock smoothly.
£2.75 well spent :D
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Well done. Excellent news!
horologiumwatches
Minor Fan

Post by horologiumwatches »

Has anyone managed to change the barrels in the door and boot locks to match the ignition barrel? On my lowlight I’ve got the original key for the ignition, and replacements for the door and boot, both different. I’d love to return them to all be the same key number.
1951 Series MM Lowlight
1954 Series II Four Door De Lux 'The Bomb'
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

The hardest part of changing the barrel in the door handles is removing the handle from the door. Once you have the handle out, there is a small roll pin to knock out and the barrel simply pulls out and can be changed. From memory (and it has been a while since I have done this..) there is a circlip/horseshoe cling hat can be removed from the boot handle and it all comes to bits to allow you to change the barrel. I think it's all covered in either the Haynes or BMC workshop manual.

I'm not sure you'll be able to get new locks to match your original ignition though. You'd probably have to replace all of them to make sure they match - either a new set or a compete second hand set.
horologiumwatches
Minor Fan

Post by horologiumwatches »

Thanks for the reply. I’m now thinking a new set of the three locks to match is the way forward. Once I have them in and know the new key number I will try and buy an NOS original style key off ebay instead of the modern shiny one. I’m weird where things like that matter to me!
1951 Series MM Lowlight
1954 Series II Four Door De Lux 'The Bomb'
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

I can understand that. New and shiny looks out of place somehow. I also like the notion of 'genuine'.

Anyway. ESM list complete lock sets https://www.morrisminorspares.com/body- ... andles-c28 and I'm sure the other parts suppliers will too. Either that or a complete set of second hand ones from car being broken for spares. That way you really get 'genuine' !