A Conundrum.

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use

Should I modify a pristine standard car?

Yes, use the best condition car you can afford.
44%
No, keep a nice car standard.
56%

Total votes: 18

JimK
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

A Conundrum.

Post by JimK »

I'm looking to get myself a fairly quick saloon, one that goes and stops with the best of modern traffic. Several people have said that I should worry about the structure first, as the mechanicals are cheap and easy to sort out. Any modifications I do would be designed not to show - I'm not a fan of purple paintwork and huge tyres, etc.
Look at Cam's 4-door for an idea of what I mean.

My conundrum is this:

Should I take a pristine standard spec car and modify it? Or should it be preserved in original spec?

Opine.

P.S. for an example of the sort of car I'm talking about, see this auction:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Morris-Minor-4-Do ... dZViewItem
Jim - New Forest, the Wiltshire bit
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

I hate to say it, but it's up to you/your time/skills/patience. A good condition car would be a lot less daunting to do. Keep in mind that the "modifications BAD" brigade won't like it much though 8)
JimK
Minor Addict

Post by JimK »

bigginger wrote:I hate to say it, but it's up to you/your time/skills/patience.
Thanks a bunch :wink: I ask for advice and you say it's up to me :-)
I have little knowledge, some skill and a fair amount of enthusiasm.
A good condition car would be a lot less daunting to do. Keep in mind that the "modifications BAD" brigade won't like it much though 8)
I've heard that, though if I get the drivetrain I want they'll only see the back :-)
Seriously, a car that somebody has restored seems like the best bet. It's been saved from the scrapper, and I think I could take it on with a clear conscience.
Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

Start with a pristine car. You may be changing your mind several times over about what mods you want and whether you like the benefits or dislike their shortcomings. The majority of mods are add-on. at any time you will have the best car to apply these to and be more sure that a mod doesn't work for you because you don't like it and not because of some shortcomings of the car.

That one you feature is a corker, but i might say, suspiciously cheap. :-?
Older and more confused than I could ever imagine possible.
JimK
Minor Addict

Post by JimK »

Peetee wrote:<snip sound advice
That one you feature is a corker, but i might say, suspiciously cheap. :-?
I'm going to call the chap tomorrow and chat. Unfortunately I won't be able to get over there before the auction ends.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Unfortunately I won't be able to get over there before the auction ends.
Ask for some underside photo`s at the front both sides same at the back and the floorpans from both sides and the undersides of the doors at least these should give you an indication of things and if there are any cover plates etc.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
Judge
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: A Conundrum.

Post by Judge »

JimK wrote:Should I take a pristine standard spec car and modify it? Or should it be preserved in original spec?
In my opinion there are so few truly original cars around that it would be a shame to destroy this originality by modifying it, or even simply replacing shabby but original parts, better to preserve (but use), something that is now becoming very scarce.

However due to the high number of restored original spec and modified cars available, this would be my choice.

(Exits stage left, running all the way :wink: )
Judge
Minor Legend

Post by Judge »

PS If you intend to show, then I would choose the latter. At present it seems that often a true original example is not as desirable to some as is a pristine restored one.

(Exits stage left, running even faster :wink: )
JimK
Minor Addict

Post by JimK »

Judge wrote:In my opinion there are so few truly original cars around that it would be a shame to destroy this originality by modifying it, or even simply replacing shabby but original parts, better to preserve (but use), something that is now becoming very scarce.
I wouldn't want to modify a totally original car, as you say there are very few of those. As for why people seem to prefer restored to original? People think shiny equals good, and newer usually equals more shiny.

I had a feeling that some people want good standard cars to be left that way - at the IOW Rally last weekend there was a Traveller fitted with a 1.9 diesel and an autobox (got my "Most Interesting Conversion" award), with a note on the front saying "For the purists: this car was a wreck when I found it".

It's as though you have to apologise for doing anything to a nice standard car. Much as I'd like to restore a wreck and keep another Minor on the road, I simply can't do it.
Judge
Minor Legend

Post by Judge »

Question for all.

http://www.morrisminoroc.co.uk/index.ph ... highlight=

If this was your car would you,

A Preserve, but use.
B Restore
C Modify
JimK
Minor Addict

Post by JimK »

Judge wrote:A Preserve, but use.
Use it gently, repair if/when necessary. Otherwise, leave well alone.

Do you have the faintest idea how much it's worth? It's a little hard to make an offer with no idea of how much.

Alas I have nowhere to store it, I have a lot of space but no shelter.
doobry
Minor Friendly

Post by doobry »

Some people like to restore basket cases, some like to turn a near-perfect car into a concours car, some like standard, some like modified.
My recommendation is to do whatever you want as there'll always be someone who doesn't like it. Satisfy your own passion not someone else's!! The future of the Minor needs people with a passion, not a rigid set of rules.

If the purists are so passionate about standard cars, they are more than welcome to do it themselves - there are more Minors for sale than potential owners...
Onne

Post by Onne »

I'd absolutely go for preserve, and use at weekends etc. This car is just too nice and original, and a show winner as it is.

Onne
Onne van der S. MMOCno 60520 Moderator
2dr 1971 White DAF 55 (with hopefully a 1600cc engine soon)
2dr 1973 Bergina (DAF 44)
2dr Estate 1975 DAF 46 in red
2dr saloon 1972 DAF 44 in Mimosa
Ratbag

Post by Ratbag »

JimK wrote:I'm looking to get myself a fairly quick saloon, one that goes and stops with the best of modern traffic. Several people have said that I should worry about the structure first, as the mechanicals are cheap and easy to sort out. Any modifications I do would be designed not to show - I'm not a fan of purple paintwork and huge tyres, etc.
Look at Cam's 4-door for an idea of what I mean.

My conundrum is this:

Should I take a pristine standard spec car and modify it? Or should it be preserved in original spec?

Opine.

P.S. for an example of the sort of car I'm talking about, see this auction:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Morris-Minor-4-Do ... dZViewItem
I've always had the philosophy of freely modifying any kind of vehicle, as long as the mods can be undone, ie/ bolt-on bits or paint etc - keep the original parts safe. Best of both worlds!

Phil.
Judge
Minor Legend

Post by Judge »

doobry wrote:Some people like to restore basket cases, some like to turn a near-perfect car into a concours car, some like standard, some like modified.
True
doobry wrote: My recommendation is to do whatever you want as there'll always be someone who doesn't like it. Satisfy your own passion not someone else's!! The future of the Minor needs people with a passion, not a rigid set of rules.
But while you're doing it, just remember that lovely little unspoilt beach that you once found :(
doobry wrote:....... - there are more Minors for sale than potential owners...
At the moment, and many are being scrapped. Something that also should be remembered is, what drew you to the Morris Minor in the first place :-?
JimK
Minor Addict

Post by JimK »

Judge wrote:But while you're doing it, just remember that lovely little unspoilt beach that you once found :(
To extend the analogy, if all the hotels and nightclubs could be dismantled and removed leaving little trace they were ever there...
I'm leaning toward the idea of doing mods that can be unbolted, so if I find that it changes the car's underlying character I can go back.
At the moment, and many are being scrapped. Something that also should be remembered is, what drew you to the Morris Minor in the first place :-?
A small, light, cheap(ish), rewarding, entertaining car with character. I don't want to change that. I don't want to make it so fast I have to fit rose-jointed double wishbone suspension with coilovers, as that would change its character. Likewise changing the steering, that's part of the character.

I want a Minor, not a modern car that looks like a Minor.
Fair game for improvements:
damping, brakes, engine output.
Not fair game (to me):
steering, body shape, engine type.
Mike Shipman
Minor Fan

Post by Mike Shipman »

Jim K said
Alas I have nowhere to store it, I have a lot of space but no shelter.
I too had space but no shelter so dug out part of the front garden and put up this car port around 7/8 years ago - cost about £100 and is still going strong, it keeps the rain off and no condensation that you'd get in a garage, Im well pleased with it..

Regards, Mike.
Mike Shipman,
Seaton, Torpoint, Cornwall.
JimK
Minor Addict

Post by JimK »

Hmmm. I could do that. What's the footing for the posts? Did you need consent for it? Did you ask? :-)

My problem is that I don't own my house, so I need to ask permission. I might be able to build something, but I'd probably have to remove it if/when we move.
Mike Shipman
Minor Fan

Post by Mike Shipman »

Hi Jim,

I used 3" concrete spurs with 3" fenceposts for the uprights, planning wasnt required (I did ask) as it was the required distance from the house (cant recall what it was ...30m???)

Regards, Mike.
Mike Shipman,
Seaton, Torpoint, Cornwall.
JimK
Minor Addict

Post by JimK »

Is that your house behind? Looks nice.

Just checked: As my house is listed I need to apply for permission for any structure with a volume greater than 10 cubic metres. Now I need to find out if a structure with no walls has volume...