2007 LEO (Lands End to Orkney) Run

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Judge
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Judge »

At the moment Alex I would like concentrate on expanding the LEO Run. However providing the AIR was run during school holidays we could be interested.

PS Remember, breakdowns can happen to anyone, even you :wink:
ndevans
Minor Legend

Post by ndevans »

Found out on Saturday that the bit of wire that I noticed sticking out of one of my tyres whilst at Dalwhinnie was in fact part of the steel braiding! When we got home that tyre went flat after 2 days in the garage. There was wire poking put all around the circumference. We were lucky to get home.
I've added a few pics here:-
http://minor946.fotopic.net/c1346971.html
I've also added a few of my broken exhaust. The suppliers, to their credit, have given me a full refund including the postage.
cheers, Neil
cheers N

33063, Eridge, Sept 2021 by Neil Evans, on Flickr
'69 Traveller, 1275, discs.
alex_holden
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by alex_holden »

ndevans wrote:Found out on Saturday that the bit of wire that I noticed sticking out of one of my tyres whilst at Dalwhinnie was in fact part of the steel braiding! When we got home that tyre went flat after 2 days in the garage. There was wire poking put all around the circumference. We were lucky to get home.
How odd! I've seen tyres where part of the carcase has been exposed due to damage, but not wires working their way out through the rubber like that. Are the rest of the tyres the same type?
ImageImage
Alex Holden - http://www.alexholden.net/
If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer.
ndevans
Minor Legend

Post by ndevans »

alex_holden wrote: How odd! I've seen tyres where part of the carcase has been exposed due to damage, but not wires working their way out through the rubber like that. Are the rest of the tyres the same type?
Not properly inspected them, but the other one on the front is the same make, the two rears are different. All seem ok. The one that's gone seems to have a bulge down the middle. I think the steel reinforcemet has just failed.
cheers N

alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

If I were you I'd replace the other front one as well then, as it might have come from the same batch. Check the spare too. This seems like a manufacturing fault rather than ordinary wear and tear, and might lead to a blowout at speed.
ImageImage
ndevans
Minor Legend

Post by ndevans »

Will do. I think that the bulging in the centre is the giveaway, there's no sign of that on the others yet.
cheers N

ndevans
Minor Legend

Post by ndevans »

Judge wrote:However having spoken to everyone during the trip, it would seem that all would like to take part in a second LEO Run, and I would therefore like suggestions on what additions/changes etc they would like to make it even more enjoyable.
We can't make a committment so far in advance, but in principle yes we would like to do it again. Maybe we could do Roman roads for part of the journey to make it more interesting? Say follow Fosse Way from Exeter to Lincoln, then the A15 north over the Humber Bridge?
Or the A6 through Kendal and over the fells instead of the M6?

We'll take a few more spares next time though :wink:

Neil
cheers N

Judge
Minor Legend

Post by Judge »

As I have mentioned before, it will of course depend on the time available to those who enter and also their interests, but certainly worth considering.

Any more suggestions? Perhaps from those that couldn't make it this time :D
Judge
Minor Legend

Post by Judge »

What about making the LEO Run a charity one as part of next years Million Mile Challenge?
alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

What is the Million Mile Challenge?

It'll be clearer when you see my trip report, but the days when I was driving alone to and from the LEO run, I tended to pick more rural/scenic roads than the days when we were in convoy.
ImageImage
Judge
Minor Legend

Post by Judge »

alex_holden wrote:What is the Million Mile Challenge?
Are you not a member of the MMOC, and do you not read your
MM? :wink:
alex_holden wrote: It'll be clearer when you see my trip report, but the days when I was driving alone to and from the LEO run, I tended to pick more rural/scenic roads than the days when we were in convoy.
Look forward to seeing your report, but as I have said, time will be most peoples deciding factor.
wibble_puppy
Minor Legend

Post by wibble_puppy »

I'll be very interested in taking part, when the van is back on the road. :D

I liked your aproach this year of having it over a few days rather than in one exhausting mission.

I'd definitely rather use scenic and rural roads rather than huge straight boring ones - to take the thing at the natural pace of the Minor and use its excellent handling to the max - see a bit of the countryside - stuff like that. :D Perhaps there could even be two parties taking part - a batch of peeps who would rather crack on and get it done, and a batch who would rather spin it out and go via the scenic route? I'd be happy to help with any extra organisation (once the projected Website rally is over) :)
Judge
Minor Legend

Post by Judge »

A two team approach may well be the answer. I can appreciate why some prefer the 'endurance' aspect of the run, whilst others, myself included. prefer to 'sightsee' en-route,

Chat to you at the weekend Juliet, at the Southern Regional Rally.
wibble_puppy
Minor Legend

Post by wibble_puppy »

aiiiiiii 8)
alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

Judge wrote:
alex_holden wrote:What is the Million Mile Challenge?
Are you not a member of the MMOC, and do you not read your
MM? :wink:
I am a member but I don't read the magazine cover to cover. The forum is my primary connection to the club and I haven't seen the Million Mile thing mentioned on here.
ImageImage
Judge
Minor Legend

Post by Judge »

You have a very good point Alex, and it is intended that in the future site updates will be more frequent so that aspects such as this will be covered either in the open forum or in the Members Only area.

PM will be sent.
ndevans
Minor Legend

Post by ndevans »

wibble_puppy wrote:Perhaps there could even be two parties taking part
I'd second that idea. That way we can include those who due to work or family committments want to do the run as quickly as possible, and those who want to do a more scenic route. It may mean the slow party having to set off a day or so earlier, but again we could all aim to be on the same boat to the island. Cheers neil.
cheers N

Orkney
Minor Legend

You made the press again this week ....

Post by Orkney »

You made the press again this week ....
Morris Minors ponder return trip to Orkney

The Morris Minor Run from lands end to Orkney wa ssuccesfully completed by 5 cars, all of which attended the vintage rally in Kirkwall on august 12th.
A spokesesman for the group said “the weather was not great on the rally day, but we were amazed at the number, variety and standard of entrants despite the adverse conditions. Many of us the next day had a chance to sample some of the beautiful scenery and visit a few of Orkney’s many interesting sights.
There has already been a suggestion that we make another trip next year as people had such an enjoyable time, and realised how much Orkney has to offer.”
they never published the pics i sent or the thankyou to Harold of the vintage club - just have to play them off against the opposition paper next year i guess :lol:
Judge
Minor Legend

Post by Judge »

Thanks Kevin.

Unfortunately they didn't publish my complete submission either, which was as follows:

Morris Minor LEO Run - Land’s End to Orkney
The Morris Minor run from Land’s End to Orkney was successfully completed by five cars, who all attended the Vintage Rally in Kirkwall on 12th August.
We are very grateful to Harold Essen, and Kevin who met us on arrival at St Margaret’s Hope, and made sure we were well looked after. Thanks to Harold we had welcome packs to the Vintage Club, and a reserved set of places so that we could all be in one area on the Rally Field ( as in picture).
Kevin very kindly allowed two of us to camp in his field and entertained them until the early hours of Sunday morning.
The weather was not great on the Rally Day, but we were amazed at the number, variety and standard of entrants despite the adverse conditions. Many of us had a chance the next day to sample some of the beautiful scenery and visit a few of Orkney’s many interesting sights.
There has already been a suggestion that we make another trip next year as people had such an enjoyable time, and realise how much Orkney has to offer.

.......or the picture :(
alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

Judge wrote:Kevin very kindly allowed two of us to camp in his field and entertained them until the early hours of Sunday morning.
Not to mention all the bacon butties and cooked breakfasts! :D
ImageImage