Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Jay-Minor
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Burton Under Water

Post by Jay-Minor »

Had a nice day out today at Burton On-The Water (affectionally named Burton Under Water due to consistent raining) never the less a nice event
Click here to see photos http://www.mildred-the-minor.co.uk/burtononwater.html
"Jay" Suffering from Morris Minor addiction.
(no known cure)
Lucky owner of a 1967 4 door saloon "Mildred" THE BEAST
http://www.mini-steam.co.uk
http://www.sadmog.morrisminor.com
doobry
Minor Friendly

Post by doobry »

Nice Pics Jay - despite the weather :D
washer-bottle
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by washer-bottle »

Thanks for coming along to Bourton to support the GMMG rally today - glad to hear you made it home without a paddle. Nice underwater photos.
Al
dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

Having put a lot of work into my Minor over the last week and got to friends nearby on the Saturday, my car cut out and died going up-hill on the Fosse way in the pouring rain just after the pub. Twas stuck there for five hours before the AA sent a local pickup truck which towed me to a service station where we waited for another 4 hours before an old school AA man isolated the problem as my electronic ignition module.

Very harrowing first five hours as my warning triangle was hit twice. But at least the car got going again on and got us back to London on old-fashioned points. Sorry I didn't make it Washer Bottle and sorry for my rant, only just got home at midnight somewhat wet. Was really looking forward to that Rally it would have been my first non Website Rally and my dry run (wet run!) for the National.
Rasputin
Minor Fan

Post by Rasputin »

Was that you by the roadside with hazzard lights flashing?I was going home early (along with half the other cars)but could not stop as it was p***ing it down and I had loads of traffic behind me,and nowhere to pull over.It wasn`t the safest of places to break down was it? :o Glad you made it home ok.
Gareth
Minor Legend

Post by Gareth »

Nice photos!

I didn't manage to take any myself - in fact I only braved the weather briefly to get into the hall! Sad, I know.

We were all suffering when we got home, tho... Got myself dosed up on decongestant and paracetamol now. Oh, joy! :roll:

Good turnout, considering.
Happy Minoring!

Phyllis ~ 1962 Morris Minor 4 Door Deluxe
Black coachwork with Red Duo-Tone Upholstery
dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

Rasputin wrote:Was that you by the roadside with hazzard lights flashing?I was going home early (along with half the other cars)but could not stop as it was p***ing it down and I had loads of traffic behind me,and nowhere to pull over.It wasn`t the safest of places to break down was it? :o Glad you made it home ok.
Yes, that was me. I saw one black Minor pass going in the opposite direction- was that you? It was a dangerous place to have a cut-out and a dangerous place to walk away from/to, no real pavement, steeply banked slippy wet banks. I'm giving serious thought to doubling up on all ignition bits from now on.
Rasputin
Minor Fan

Post by Rasputin »

I was driving a pickup,it didn`t look like there was anyone in the car when I passed.
washer-bottle
Minor Friendly

Post by washer-bottle »

Darren

We are very concerned about your breakdown and we realise that we are at fault as we did not have an emergency contact number. That section at Fossebridge is notoriously dangerous as one of the few overtaking places on the Fosse Way. Thank goodness you had the good sense to carry and put out a warning triangle. I am bringing this to the attention of the full rally committee and we will be writing to you.

Al

GMMG Rally Committee
Jay-Minor
Minor Fan

Post by Jay-Minor »

Hi DP
we also saw your car on the way home, we managed to pull over to see if we could assist you in anyway but there was no one with the car at the time. This was late afternoon about 3ish pm.
Glad you got home okay.
"Jay" Suffering from Morris Minor addiction.
(no known cure)
Lucky owner of a 1967 4 door saloon "Mildred" THE BEAST
http://www.mini-steam.co.uk
http://www.sadmog.morrisminor.com
dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

washer-bottle wrote:Darren

We are very concerned about your breakdown and we realise that we are at fault as we did not have an emergency contact number. That section at Fossebridge is notoriously dangerous as one of the few overtaking places on the Fosse Way. Thank goodness you had the good sense to carry and put out a warning triangle. I am bringing this to the attention of the full rally committee and we will be writing to you.

Al

GMMG Rally Committee
Al,

You and the GMMC Rally Committee are not at fault in any way. If I was going to Tescos or the Post Office it would be not be their fault or responsibility if I broke down on the way so please do not feel in any way responsible. I am not of the compensation culture and do not want an apology, or anything else. You and the GMMC did enough hard work organising the day itself without worrying about things like this. I hope my earlier posts did not imply I was in anyway upset at you or the GMMC. I'm upset at missing the Rally and being stuck in a helpless position but not at any MM folk. Please feel free to pass this posting on to any offline GMMC committee members.

Rasputin and Jay and any others, thanks for pulling over, I had gone to the pub at the bottom, partly for safety and partly to dry out and warm up. Just for information, the AA guy who actually sorted everything out pointed out that on such a road, they only now send a pick-up lorry as it is too dangerous to attempt a repair by the roadside. My view is no person or Minor was hurt so overall everything was okay.