By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Welung666
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

JLH's 1955 Splitty van pics and a bonus pic

Post by Welung666 »

Hosted for Jonathon ;)

and the bonus pic ;)

That zetec looks very comfy in there I must say!
Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

Mmmmmm.
want.......
must........
have......
Older and more confused than I could ever imagine possible.
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

Dohhh! :oops: :oops: :D :D :wink:

chrisd87
Minor Addict

Post by chrisd87 »

Mmmmmm very nice. That's one hell of an exhaust manifold on the Zetec, makes A-Series ones look a tad weedy!
[img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/chrisd87/DSC00749.jpg[/img][img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/chrisd87/med_gallery_128_45_1416415.jpg[/img]
Sarah - 1970 Minor 1000 2-dr
Maggie - 1969 Minor 1000 4-dr
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

T'is a bit large, but will be replaced by a more efficient stainless 4-2-1 manifold and 2" system, along with a flat bottom'd sump, level with the bottom of the chassis legs, to increase ground clearance. :wink:

WPR678B
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by WPR678B »

The van looks really solid. Well done that man! :wink: I take it you will have it ready for the national? :o
Makes me regret parting with mine even more now! :cry: Decided to sell my 54 van and keep the lowlight tourer instead. Think i should have kept them both now! :-?

jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

2010 National maybe :D :D

motherofgod
Minor Fan

Post by motherofgod »

:o One nice van there. zetec is bit small thou :roll: :lol:

James

bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

Even MORE jealous...
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

Ahh ha its not the size .................. :D :D :wink:
Were hoping to have a show 240bhp supercharged version at the National along with the rest of the range. These will however be based on the most recent Focus 2.0L zetec motors.
Van is very good in parts, but needs a full cab floor and sills, box section, flitches, rear cab section rear valance and sections of front chassis legs. B posts need quite a bit of work too. When the 54 splitty above, my traveller, MGCGT and MK1 Golf rag top are finished, I'll have the whole thing dipped and e coated, hopefully it will look similar to this http://www.minormania.com/pics/custom/p ... om_048.jpg
my old van.
:D :D :wink:

RussLCV
Minor Legend

Post by RussLCV »

I await the day Jonathon.....................to see it finished. Series II LCVs are not as rare as you think. You just never see um at the shows. But this is sound example and is not not known to the Minor LCV Register

All the best with the resto any other information you need just PM as I may need to make reference to articles in magazines that I am not allowed to share on the forum (as you know)

H
Russell Harvey
Minor LCV Register Historian
Freelance Motoring Journalist
http://www.Minorlcvreg.co.uk

aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

yes i know of 4 in the south that are not in any clubs and never attend shows
there is a van and pick up about 15 mins drive from me, and they also do not attend shows or belong to any club
motherofgod
Minor Fan

Post by motherofgod »

MMmm Dennis near me?

James

aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

i can tell that one is in heathfeild, one in horam, one in eastbourne, and one in pevensy
dunketh
Minor Legend

Post by dunketh »

Can I ask Jonathan why you've fitted the 'new' alloy zetecs as opposed to the older type as found in mk1 mondeos and xr3is?
I'd have thought the older type would be a lot cheaper (free with a rusty mondeo) and the 130 spec would be ideal for a hot minor.

Was the decision made because the new blocks are lighter? More modern??
What would Macgyver do..?
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

Hi Bodger,

We have used the older Zetec motor rather than the all alloy one !! :o :o :D The newer Zetec SE will not fit a rwd Ford box as it is essentially a Mazda unit. The Old cast Zetec is heavier than the newer one but we have set it further back to compensate. It would never be as light as the K series which is 16Kilo less than the A series. As for availability we will be supplying brand new motors for less than the cost of a recon unit, and just a bit more than the scrappy will sell one for. We will be basing all of our engines on the 2.0L 130bhp model :wink: 8)

dunketh
Minor Legend

Post by dunketh »

:oops: :oops: Doh!
The newer Zetec SE will not fit a rwd Ford box as it is essentially a Mazda unit.
Thats what I was thinking. For some reason those are the lumps I thought you were using. :-?

Cant wait to see more. 8)
What would Macgyver do..?
Redmoggy
Minor Fan

Post by Redmoggy »

Just how tight is the Zetec. I never found one cheap enough to mock up but it looked like some bulkhead fettling would be required when i measured up?
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

Redmoggy, The Zetec is set a half inch further back than the K series, this means the removal of the center of the bulkhead crossmember, which we will cap and refabricate inside the car. You will see from the pics that Lee has kindly offered to post for me that our chassis strengthening panel, which incorporates the rear face of the crossmember will act as a 3mm plate onto which the newly fabricated crossmember will be attatched.
Most of the rest of the mods to the motor will be arriving early next week, so we should be almost there by the end of the week. Work permitting :wink:

Welung666
Minor Legend

Post by Welung666 »