Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
alex_holden
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Theft prevention methods

Post by alex_holden »

What devices are you using to make your Minor more difficult to steal? Alarms, immobilisers, steering locks?

On my old Minor I had a hidden switch that shorted the coil to earth, thus killing the ignition. I haven't done anything similar on Fenchurch yet so I took the rotor arm out last night when she was parked on the drive.

Has anyone built a simple mechanical device that makes the car undriveable but isn't easily broken like a steering lock or bypassed like an electronic immobiliser?

How about tracking devices; any recommendations?
ImageImage
Alex Holden - http://www.alexholden.net/
If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer.
leyther8008
Minor Fan

Post by leyther8008 »

Hidden switch in the fuel pump feed wire is as good as any they would get about 100 yds before the fuel in the float chamber runs out. Assuming they know how to start a car using a choke! suprizing how many people dont know about chokes these days. Another one I remember from years ago was a sort of clamp that went around the clutch pedal shaft that stopped the clutch being depressed so you couldnt change gear, I suppose it might start in first but the getaway would be funny at 15 miles per hour tops.
I'll see you on the otherside'!
JimK
Minor Addict

Post by JimK »

To be honest it hadn't occurred to me to do anything, as this area is not exactly a hotbed of crime; I'll give some thought to protecting the cars now.
Jim - New Forest, the Wiltshire bit
dunketh
Minor Legend

Post by dunketh »

Ditto. My only 'security' is the fact its a 40 year old Minor that no self-respecting joy-rider would be seen dead in. :lol:
What would Macgyver do..?
paulhumphries
Minor Legend

Post by paulhumphries »

You can get a key operated hydraulic lock.
Press brake pedal and then lock pressure.
That makes even towing away difficult.
I rather like the idea of a detachable steering wheel so it can be kept indoors or firmly chained in the boot. Such are available motorsports parts dealers.
What about an additional hinged "leg" welded to the drivers seat frame. Lift seat until it is impossible to get behind wheel, drop "leg" and padlock in down position.
I used to have a Volvo P1800 (Jenson version and not P1800S). The coil mounted THOUGH the bulkhead. The wire from points screwed on as normal but the live went in an armoured cable to the ignition switch. Virtually impossible to hot wire. This sort of coil protection is available as I've seen adverts in Practical Classics for a modern version. You attach to top of coil and then an armoured cable goes into the car where a key or similar is needed to make the contacts. It locks onto top of coil making it again impossible to hot wire. A long version might even work on a Minor with coil still mounted on dynamo.

Paul Humphries
alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

I like the tilting driver's seat idea.

I was thinking about maybe attaching a locking collar of some sort to the clutch pedal so you can't press it down to get it into gear.
ImageImage
Alex Holden - http://www.alexholden.net/
If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer.
paulhumphries
Minor Legend

Post by paulhumphries »

alex_holden wrote:I like the tilting driver's seat idea.

I was thinking about maybe attaching a locking collar of some sort to the clutch pedal so you can't press it down to get it into gear.
You can already get a lockable plate that covers all pedal for Land Rovers.
Not really adaptable idea for Minors but a locking clutch pedal would be easy.
Take thick walled tubing, slit down middle, add hinge and tab for padlock.
Even angle iron would work instead of slitting tubing.
The thing is to make it difficult so potential thief moves onto the next vehicle.
If they are targeting Minors then that isn't going to happen so the more difficult the better.

My Mineva (when I get around to moving it from storage in Antwerp) hasn't even external door handles never mind locks.
What I'm going to make is a frame that attaches with padlock over the drivers seat. The frame will then have loads of nails, spikes etc pointing upwards. They will be brightly painted and maybe even lit with LED's at night. The idea is to make it dififcult for the thief to actually get inside the car and certainly impossible behind the wheel.

Pauil Humphries
Orkney
Minor Legend

Post by Orkney »

A battery cut off / isolator switch is a good one - thats pretty much the standard theft prevention on boats.
Used to have discreet tracker logo stickers on the Dagenham roller skate which although there wasnt one fitted is enough to put off a casual opportunist thief.
Suppose if i lived south and had a pristine Mog then wouldn't hesitate to fit a genuine functioning tracker, at least theres a VERY good chance you will get the car back.
http://mog.myfreeforum.org
paulhumphries
Minor Legend

Post by paulhumphries »

Orkney wrote: Suppose if i lived south and had a pristine Mog then wouldn't hesitate to fit a genuine functioning tracker, at least theres a VERY good chance you will get the car back.
A little searching of web site will show that you can make a cheap tracker out of a modern mobile phone which has built in GPS.
You do something like power the phone via a 12v adapter and hide it away.
You need to ensure credit and make one call very so often to keep it enabled.
For around £10 per month you can subscribe to companies with web sites which will give you constant updates of where the phone is (with personal password access).
One of the uses is to keep tabs on kids and workers but the system will readilly work as a vehicle tracker.

Paul Humphries
Welung666
Minor Legend

Post by Welung666 »

I'm still qualified to fit Cat2 immobilisers and Cat1 alarms. I still have a contact for trade priced systems too if anyone needs one fitting.

The Cat2 is an insurance approved Toad unit that immobilises 2 circuits I.E. fuel pump and coil. The Cat1 is basically a Cat2 with a very loud sounder attached. I can also get Stirling (subsiduary of Toad) cheaper alarms with just 1 immobiliser that I would recommend be connected to the ignition circuit.
Orkney
Minor Legend

Post by Orkney »

Hmm what Lee just said and something in another thread about having the siren inside the car might be a cheap solution.
On a lot of household alarms the sounder in the house - in the control panel e.g. has a 'Disorientator' emitting type speaker.
These things really do work - they were originally developed for special forces applications as a 'Sonic grenade' lob one into a room of bad people / hostage situation etc they render your senses useless for a short while.
maybe Lee knows what I'm on about and if they can be got off the shelf from maplin or such.
Surely there should be someone with the electrical knowledge here that could come up with something like placed under the dash that was wired to a courtesy light switch in the door, that activated automatically after say 30 seconds if a well hidden switch was not turned off?
If they were cheap enough and the wiring simple enough could be a very effective theft prevention unit for under £20?
Welung666
Minor Legend

Post by Welung666 »

I had a standard house sounder inside my peugeot as a second siren along with a white light strobe fitted where the clock should have been, this had the effect of both blinding and deafening anyone inside the car at the time.
DaveC
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by DaveC »

20 years ago, after seeing someone about to try to get my bonnet badges off my trav (as was the craze back then thanks to the Beastie Boys) I mounted the badges on rubber gromets with microswitches wired to the airhorns. :lol: Worked though...

I have a 3position hidden switch that is on/shorts the coil/shorts the coil and puts on a flashing LED. I am considering a second switch elsewhere that does the fuel pump as well, I think that's a great idea. :)
Last edited by DaveC on Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ben739
Minor Fan

Post by ben739 »

http://www.stickdeath.com/frameset.htm

check this out for theft prevention :x

on the right click, get the full list, then the 5th choice down is anti theft. i am installing these in my moggy. but now that i am in USA i can get a gun :)

"Morris Minor owner shoots gangster........"
1967 Traveller
[img]http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r74/ben3780uk/trav8web.jpg[/img]
"Catch a man a fish, and you can sell it to him. Teach a man to fish, and you ruin a wonderful business opportunity."-->Karl Marx
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

Under the US constitution I thought it was only US citizens who are legally allowed to bear arms. Are you a US citizen? Good idea though! ;-)
ben739
Minor Fan

Post by ben739 »

have dual citizenship
1967 Traveller
"Catch a man a fish, and you can sell it to him. Teach a man to fish, and you ruin a wonderful business opportunity."-->Karl Marx
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

So you can! :lol: :D
ben739
Minor Fan

Post by ben739 »

went to a gun show in alabama this weekend, applied for concealed weapons permit and now have it. has to be a small handgun to fit in the morris glove box though, and i had my heart set on the .357 magnum Clint Easwtwood used so accurately.
1967 Traveller
Orkney
Minor Legend

Post by Orkney »

Get a Glock - safer, more compact & reliable than a 'Macho' type.
Unless your writing a script for 'Mogz in the Hood' that is :-)
wibble_puppy
Minor Legend

Post by wibble_puppy »

paulhumphries wrote: What about an additional hinged "leg" welded to the drivers seat frame. Lift seat until it is impossible to get behind wheel, drop "leg" and padlock in down position.
I like that idea 8) and the spikey seat gadget :D

I have a cut-off switch in the van, plus a DiskLoc (you need the largest size - ebay not Halfords), and am marking it in hidden places with clever microchip registration stuff so that if some idiot manages to steal the most recognisable Minor in the world then I can identify it as mine if the police find it 8)