Theft prevention methods

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ben739
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by ben739 »

Glock pistols have no safety. I didn't buy a big macho pistol, I bought a .380 Ruger
1967 Traveller
[img]http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r74/ben3780uk/trav8web.jpg[/img]
"Catch a man a fish, and you can sell it to him. Teach a man to fish, and you ruin a wonderful business opportunity."-->Karl Marx
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

wibble_puppy wrote:
paulhumphries wrote: What about an additional hinged "leg" welded to the drivers seat frame. Lift seat until it is impossible to get behind wheel, drop "leg" and padlock in down position.
I like that idea 8) and the spikey seat gadget :D

-snip- plus a DiskLoc -snip-
These may deter the casual thief, but a professional who might steal an immaculate Morris to order, will just drag the car onto a trailer then cut off any security device later at his leisure. The best anti theft measure has to be a tracker device.
paulhumphries
Minor Legend

Post by paulhumphries »

Being realistiic if a thief wants your car they are going to get it one way or another.
All you can do is slow them down and make is so it isn't worth their time or the risk of being caught.
Also don't put too much trust in Trackers.
There aren't too many places they can be hidden on a Minor so will easilly be spotted if the thief has stolen to strip for parts - normally within hours of stealing rather than stashing away until later
If the car is put into a container then the signal cann't be detected
A friend had one fitted to a new car by the authorised dealer. At first service 12 months later the car dealer said there was a fault with wiring that means rear fog light wasn't working. Turned out Tracker had been fitted into the rear and the fog light feed used as an earth. Needless to say first time fog light had been used then it blew the fuse. This was probably at home after picking up from the garage and "playing " with the switches.That meant my friend had been trusting the Tracker for 12 months, paying the subscription - and it didn't even work !
The main dealer had to get an autoelectrician to sort out wiring as the Tracker dealer has simply Scotchloked it into the vehicle harness.
My friend has probably had 5-6 new cars since and hasn't bothered with a Tracker on any one which sums up his opinion.
Also how do you know if the Tracker is working - my friend didn't. If you can look and see a blinking light or it's detectable on some sort of scanner then a thief can do the same. Good in principal and great for a modern high value car but I'm not sure about their worth on a lower value car like a Minor. £350 for device and fitting plus £120 pa subscription is a lot of money and can buy a lot of other deterrants so only owners can weight up their value.
Everybody has their own idea but personally for a Minor I think physical deterrants (steering wheel immoblisers, wheel clamps etc) are the best followed by hidden switches etc with alarms comming in anywhere you want but Trackers at bottom of list.

Paul Humphries
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

Turbominor had a tracker on his, I seem to remember his car had to be towed and the system worked telling him. An incorrectly fitted tracker as stated above is not good.

I agree, though, if a thief wants to steal your car, he will, but no amount of physical deterrants, switches or alarms will stop him, he will just drag the car onto a flatbed and drive it away. A hidden, working tracker might just help you get the car back.

At the end of the day, its each to his own.
Orkney
Minor Legend

Post by Orkney »

Glock pistols have no safety
well they do built in unless you actually pull the trigger by accident - hence safer for accidental discharge.
Which gun is a long and deep debate for any board and not this one, having one is one thing, using it is another, the consequences of either another etc.
Just hope you never have to even think about using a firearm, thats a life changing experience ....
best defense is always common sence :-?
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

Not a topic for this 'family forum' either, I'd say. Could we leave it at that, d'you think?
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

What about an additional hinged "leg" welded to the drivers seat frame. Lift seat until it is impossible to get behind wheel, drop "leg" and padlock in down position.
Paul there is a much simpler version of this.
A substantial size piece of wood with grooves that pushes the seat up to the steering wheel and then a substantial chain and padlock to hold it in place, simple to make and use with no alterations and can be kept anywhere that will stop joyriders etc as its a visible deterrant as well.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
bobbins
Minor Friendly

Post by bobbins »

I can't believe it has come to this where we are all talking about attaching padlocks, chains, immobilisers and tracking devices to 40 or 50 year old cars!!

Madness... :roll:
paulhumphries
Minor Legend

Post by paulhumphries »

bobbins wrote:
Madness... :roll:
I'm confused.
Why do you regard it as madness ?

We have three Minors stolen within a couple of days of each other which means it's a valid thread.

Paul Humphries
picky
Minor Addict

Post by picky »

I prefer the idea of fitting a hidden tracker, because the thief is unlikely to disable it, as they do not know it is there, and as mentioned earlier they will keep fiddling until the car starts and then make off in it. the tracker doesnt stop them making off with it, but the theft might just come back to haunt them :lol:

Picky
1969 Four door Saloon Old English White 1275 with ported head and HS4 carb. Wolseley 1500 front brakes. Currently off the road with a leaky master cylinder!
bobbins
Minor Friendly

Post by bobbins »

Agree it is a valid threat...just having a whinge about the state of modern England. I dont want to have to chain my car up to prevent someone nicking it!! that's what is madness :(
badfelafel
Minor Addict

Post by badfelafel »

you could paint on lots of fake rust and holes onto your minor, and then nobody would want to steal it :)

Barry, Miriam, Ellie, Maia and the Morris
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

you could paint on lots of fake rust
Or I could sell you the genuine article :wink:
Cheers

Kevin

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
wibble_puppy
Minor Legend

Post by wibble_puppy »

Kevin wrote:
you could paint on lots of fake rust
Or I could sell you the genuine article :wink:
lol @ both of yous :lol:

btw, i want to clarify: i think mine is the most recognisable, but certainly not the "best" :oops: realised how snotty that sounded :o :oops:
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

i want to clarify: i think mine is the most recognisable,
Juliet dont you mean it will be as its still in hibernation status at the moment, and how many people have actually seen it only those in the wibble puppy association so I believe 8)
Cheers

Kevin

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
mal
Minor Addict

Theft prevention methods

Post by mal »

Blimey.....
You don't half worry you lot :roll: ' That's what insurance companies are for'.... they're supposed to stop you worrying :lol:
I'm afraid if I worried about any of my cars being nicked, to the extent of most people on this thread, I'd sell em before I had a heart attack brought on by stress :lol: :lol:
Just insure them, drive them and enjoy them :wink:

Mal
minor_hickup
Minor Legend

Post by minor_hickup »

Ive always just pulled the rotor arm out. It doesn't stop it being towed away or lifted. But then If someone is prepared to do that you don't stand a chance. I've never really worried, but I'm lucky I never had to park mine every night on a street.
wibble_puppy
Minor Legend

Re: Theft prevention methods

Post by wibble_puppy »

mal wrote: ' That's what insurance companies are for'.... they're supposed to stop you worrying :lol:
Hiya mal :)

To be honest with my van it's more the "sentimental value" - having put so much of my tiny amount of energy into restoring it I couldn't bear to lose it.

Plus I can't get adequate replacement value insurance, for reasons I don't want to go into on the public forum: so no, I don't get peace of mind from insurance :(

Once it's out of hibernation (thanks kevin 8) ) I want to drive it everywhere, go camping in it, everything - so I don't want to worry about losing it - I'd rather spend a few minutes swapping tips with people on the forum and elsewhere, then a few minutes putting some security features in place (perhaps more than I've let on in public), which will help me to not worry. That's the trick 8)
mal
Minor Addict

Theft prevention methods

Post by mal »

I've never really worried, but I'm lucky I never had to park mine every night on a street.
Neither do I, I have a 4 car drive and big garage :wink:
Next thing, people will be saying they lock em when they go to a show :-?

Mal
Robins
Minor Fan

Post by Robins »

I do lock my cars when at a show! Have you actually sat in your car at a show and watched the kids walking round? it's terrible, they climb all over cars, leave sticky finger prints and try opening doors while the parents are either nowhere to be seen or just stand there and gawp at them. And you'd be surprised how many adults that want to look under a bonnet so will quite happily just help themselfs if no one is about.

I've fitted the Toad Ai606 alarm/immobiliser system thatchem cat something. very nice bit of kit, simple to use and doesen't give faulse alarms like the cheap rubbish does when a bus goes past. Very affordable to buy, but as I fitted mine I can't say what you would pay to have it fitted.
Aswell as steering locks, and something else I'm working on at the moment :D .

It's all very well Mal to say just get insurance and make do. But some of us like Juliet said have put so much in to our cars they are part of us, mainly time effort and hard earned money that insurance just isn't enough. I know if some theaving little :evil: nicked one of my cars it would more than likely finish it for me, no amount of insurance could replace what I create and I probably wouldn't bother trying. So if I got to spend more time and effort in theft prevention then so be it.

cheers, Daniel
cheers, Daniel
[img]http://www.daniel-robins.co.uk/becky%20web%20pics/20052.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.daniel-robins.co.uk/archie/10107.jpg[/img]
The pulling power of a Turbo Diesel! The voices may not be real, but they have good ideas.