AIR: Around Ireland Rally

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
alex_holden
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by alex_holden »

iandromiskin wrote:Sorry I missed you at the National. I saw your car all right and met Matt who was waiting for you on the Sunday, but I just couldn't find you when I was in your corner - you must have been shopping :D. Anyway, great show, really enjoyed it and wish I had a time machine to go back and do it all over again !!!!! No doubt I'll see you in the flesh in September.
If that was Sunday afternoon it was probably when I was searching for dp. I missed Bill too, but I did meet wibble_puppy as well as Maureen from the IMMOC and Trevor from the NI branch (who has volunteered to deliver the Parades Commission paperwork for us).
ImageImage
Alex Holden - http://www.alexholden.net/
If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer.
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

I met all the other Lous :D Matt, Dan Squiggle, Wellungi Dave 1949, and its was lovely to see Frank - even if it was only over the regalia table, Cam and Gill of course - many congrats again you two! Roger, Steve and Mary, and saw Wibble at a distance!

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

You met me, too. Best forgotten though, I agree... :(
alex_holden
Minor Legend

Re: AIR Around Ireland Rally

Post by alex_holden »

ian.mcdougall wrote:Do you have an exact route from Galway to Donegal yet I live in Ballina Co. Mayo and may be able to meet up with you if when you are passing by.
Hi Ian, I just realised that I failed to reply to your question. :oops:

I'll send you a PM as soon as I check my maps.
ImageImage
alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

Time for a quick update:

We've got six people in four cars confirmed to be doing the whole trip. Myself and my co-driver Chris, wibble_puppy, iandromiskin, and Bill Shackleford and his wife. morris1000 unfortunately had to drop out because he wasn't sure his Trav would make it to Holyhead never mind around Ireland. wibble_puppy's van isn't going to be ready in time so she is borrowing my saloon (Lintilla).

I think a few locals are planning to meet up with us at various points but I've not had definite confirmations from any of those I've talked to yet. If anyone else wants to tag along, please let me know ASAP.

The Parades Commission paperwork we need to drive in convoy through Northern Ireland was submitted weeks ago and two of the three days have been added to their list. I've sent them an email asking what has happened to the missing day.

I heard today that there's a chance the Kilbroney Show might be cancelled due to heavy rain and flooding. I'm not too worried because if that happens it will give us more time to visit places on the way down from Belfast to Dublin.

The rough plan is as follows:
Saturday 30th August Ferry from Holyhead to Dublin; drive to Kilkenny.
Sunday 31st August Kilkenny to Cork, visiting Ardmore Round Tower and Blarney Castle.
Monday 1st September Cork to Dingle via Mizen Head.
Tuesday 2nd September Dingle to Galway via the Shannon ferry, the Cliffs of Moher, and the Burren.
Wednesday 3rd SeptemberGalway to Donegal, possibly via Connemara.
Thursday 4th September Donegal to the Giant's Causeway via Malin Head and the Lough Foyle ferry.
Friday 5th September Giant's Causeway to Belfast along the coast road.
Saturday 6th September Belfast to Dublin via the Mourne Mountains and the Kilbroney Show.
Sunday 7th September Sail back to Holyhead on the Fastcraft.
ImageImage
alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

As expected the recent heavy flooding in Northern Ireland means the Kilbroney show has been cancelled. While disappointing, it isn't a big problem for the AIR because we have quite a distance to go on the day the show would have been held, and there's plenty of interesting scenery to look at on the way. Any Minor owners who already have accommodation booked and are now at a loose end due to the cancellation are welcome to tag along with us instead. We have Parades Commission paperwork filed for up to 20 'participants'.
ImageImage
lynda
Minor Fan

Post by lynda »

Any plans to go near Castlebar? I've just found out that I have a job interview there, I'll be staying in Castlebar 31st Aug - 5th Sept, so I may be able to come and say hi if you're stopping for lunch in the area or something. Not going with my Moggy though, I'm flying over! Back from my holiday in Scotland on 30th Aug, then on another plane the next day to Ireland....
alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

We're probably going to pass through Castlebar on the 3rd around about 11:00-12:00 and could potentially stop for lunch there. I've narrowed it down to two route options for that day and both pass through Castlebar. The most likely one is N59 from Galway to Westport (through Connemara), N5 to Bellavary (passing through Castlebar). The alternative route is the N84, which looks much quicker but less scenic (if we took that option I would expect to pass through Castlebar by 10AM, maybe sooner).

We are probably also meeting up with Ian from Ballina on that day, and possibly a chap from Donegal who emailed me once and then went quiet when I replied with details of the route.

If you PM me your mobile number I can give you a call when we are somewhere close. Alternatively if you don't have anything else to do that morning and could catch an early train/bus and get to Galway by about 8AM, you could probably hitch a ride with Wibble back to Castlebar (assuming she doesn't mind).
ImageImage
ian.mcdougall
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by ian.mcdougall »

Hi Alex
what route will you be taking after Castlebar Ballavary as I will have to ask for time off to meet you so if I knew where I can plan to meet you

regards Ian

wibble_puppy
Minor Legend

Post by wibble_puppy »

alex_holden wrote:you could probably hitch a ride with Wibble back to Castlebar (assuming she doesn't mind).
Hurrah! I get to be useful!! :D :D :D :D

Leaving home tomorrow morning to get to Alex's, am so looking forward to this trip! :D

wibble, quiet due to stormin' logistics assistance needed for Griffin Historical this season, but here in spirit 8)

alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

ian.mcdougall wrote:what route will you be taking after Castlebar Ballavary as I will have to ask for time off to meet you so if I knew where I can plan to meet you
Castlebar to Donegal:
1. Go east on the N5 to Longford.
2. After 8 miles, at Bellavary, go left (north) onto the N58 to Ballina.
3. After 6 miles, at Foxford, go north on the N26 to Ballina.
4. After 10 miles, at Ballina, go northeast on the N59 to Sligo.
5. After 35 miles, merge onto the N4 north to Sligo.
6. Go north on the N15 to Donegal.
7. After 45 miles, we should arrive at Donegal.
ImageImage
ian.mcdougall
Minor Legend

AIR

Post by ian.mcdougall »

Hi Alex
Are you still planning to lunch in Castlebar if so when you get to foxford give me a ring as you will be passing right passed my place of work and I can nip out and meet you all or if you arrive early in Castlebar maybe you might stop for lunch nearer Ballina or even in Ballina
regards Ian

RogerRust
Minor Legend

Post by RogerRust »

Wibble, are you on the road in the van??

I want to see lots of pictures.
alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

Wibble is borrowing Lintilla.

Just doing the final packing and wondering how we are going to fit all the stuff into the cars...
ImageImage
ian.mcdougall
Minor Legend

Post by ian.mcdougall »

Hi all
alex stopped off on the Around Ireland Rally in Ballina Co.Mayo with his traveller the trip seems to be going well he didn't have much time to chat but at least you can put a face to the name just one of my pics there were a few others taken so maybe when they get back home they will be posted<br>Image<br>

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

From Alex's 'blog' today - " Have been towed out of the ditch Chris drove us into by a friendly local. Juliet fell into a bog and wet her trousers. Having brilliant fun! " Fun indeed!
ImageImage
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The latest from Alex's blog - " Giant's Causeway was nice yesterday. Met David & Stevie. Mourne Mountains today. Raining here in Belfast. Not looking forward to going home."
Don't worry Alex - it's raining here too! Actually -up here in Ecosseland we have had a 'pretty good' day - but I gather it's been a bit wet in Englandshire!
ImageImage
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Stevey and I met up with Alex, Juliet and Chris on Friday night in the Youth Hostel in Belfast. It sounds like they have had a great trip, we watched some video clips of the highlights. They have even been lucky enough to only have had rain in the North! They were heading off on Saturday morning to the Mournes and then on to Dublin for the night and sailing home on Sunday.

Safe home guys!

Too many Minors so little time.....
stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

yes hope the weather stays good

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

And the latest from Alex blog - " We're in the dining room of Dublin Youth Hostel leeching the free wifi. The Mourne Mountains were so good we drove back and forth several times along roads that weren't even on the map. Later on we took our shoes off and paddled along a beach, and I was the one to wet my trousers. Dublin itself is a bit disappointing - too big and busy and touristy. We couldn't find any decent live music in the pubs in the centre. Back to Wales tomorrow, where I have to arrange to have Lintilla towed home."

If you have RH insurance Alex - you just phone the emergency number and they will take it home for you!
ImageImage