Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Judge »

You've got 10 months :roll: :wink: The excuses Moggy people use :roll: :wink:
Welung666
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by Welung666 »

I've got the traveller I'd like to do it in, but thats buried behind 3 cars atm! The daughters saxo I'll just roll out of the way but the half welded beetle and wolseley 1300 need to be finished first. Should manage that in 10 months :P
Judge
Minor Legend

Post by Judge »

Having included Beamish in a previous personal trip, I was thinking of including it in the 2008 trip. Any thoughts :-?
alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

Have you decided yet over how many days to do the run?

I went round Beamish about 7 years ago when I was driving my first Moggy (I remember driving back with all the windows open because the exhaust manifold was blowing). I bought some lovely sarsaparilla tablets at the traditional sweet shop where you can watch them being made.
ImageImage
Alex Holden - http://www.alexholden.net/
If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer.
Judge
Minor Legend

Post by Judge »

Unfortunately I have not had enough feedback to help me plan anything yet :(
trenowin
Minor Friendly

Post by trenowin »

Just logged on, the first time for ages, if theres going to be a lot of you on next years run we will have to get an extention put on to the White Heart, and clear the car park.
Judge
Minor Legend

Post by Judge »

Welcome back Steve, and thanks again for your hospitality at the start of this years run. Very much appreciated.

At the rate we're going at the moment I don't think an extension will be necessary.

I really would like to make this a special event in 2008 being as it's the Minors 60th anniversary, but this will take a considerable amount of planning. However I am not getting any feedback, and so can't get started.

Perhaps Minor enthusiasts find talking about, and working on their cars preferable to driving them :roll: :wink:
ndevans
Minor Legend

Post by ndevans »

Count us in Bill. So that makes 7 of us, in 4 cars. Hopefully I will have the Traveller re-sprayed by then. Unfortunately Honey the poodle will not be with us-old age got the better of her a couple of weeks ago.

As for Beamish, well I'm happy to stop off there on the way.

We spent last week in Cornwall in one of the cottages at Higher Chellew, just down the road from Trenowin farm (just had sandwiches made from bread from the farm shop-lovely! Pasties were good too-lasted as far as Camelford on the way back).
On the way back to Bristol (in the Minor of course), we took the A39 "Atlantic Highway" from Indian Queens and followed it all the way along the coast through Camelford, Lynmouth, Minehead etc to the M5 at Bridgewater. It took us about 6hrs in total but that included 45min in Camelford & an hour and a half in Lynmouth.
Nice run though, good scenery and includes some impressive climbs like Porlock Hill. If we did that route next year- we could stop off overnight somewhere between Bristol & Brum, then head up towards Beamish the following day, which I guess would be about 300 miles.

cheers,
Neil & Stephanie
cheers N

33063, Eridge, Sept 2021 by Neil Evans, on Flickr
'69 Traveller, 1275, discs.
alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

Sorry to hear about Honey, Neil.

I drove a similar route on the way to the LEO from Cheddar, along the length of the A39, then on down to Lizard. Porlock was a bit of a surprise because I didn't know it existed until I saw the warning signs!

I'm interested in going on the LEO again if the route is sufficiently different to make it interesting (and preferably less motorways), but I can't make a firm commitment this far out.
ImageImage
Alex Holden - http://www.alexholden.net/
If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer.
mal
Minor Addict

2008 LEO (Lands End to Orkney) Run

Post by mal »

Bill, if you do decide to include Beamish in next years LEO, I and possibly a few other classics would certainly meet up there for the day. If you give me a bit of warning nearer the time, I'll see if I can fix something up for a photo shoot of your own cars etc; in the main street, this would of course mean staying there until the public leave after 4.30.... well worth it though, and I've never found it a problem as you can't see the whole place in a day anyway. I know it's early days but could add a bit of interest and worth considering :wink:

Alex wrote
I bought some lovely sarsaparilla tablets at the traditional sweet shop where you can watch them being made.

Ahh.. those lovely home made sweets :lol: not had any this year as I've missed the two shows I normally do there :-? :wink:

Mal
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

Count me in :) How many days does it typically run over?
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
Judge
Minor Legend

Post by Judge »

ndevans wrote:Count us in Bill. So that makes 7 of us, in 4 cars. Hopefully I will have the Traveller re-sprayed by then. Unfortunately Honey the poodle will not be with us-old age got the better of her a couple of weeks ago.

As for Beamish, well I'm happy to stop off there on the way.

We spent last week in Cornwall in one of the cottages at Higher Chellew, just down the road from Trenowin farm (just had sandwiches made from bread from the farm shop-lovely! Pasties were good too-lasted as far as Camelford on the way back).
On the way back to Bristol (in the Minor of course), we took the A39 "Atlantic Highway" from Indian Queens and followed it all the way along the coast through Camelford, Lynmouth, Minehead etc to the M5 at Bridgewater. It took us about 6hrs in total but that included 45min in Camelford & an hour and a half in Lynmouth.
Nice run though, good scenery and includes some impressive climbs like Porlock Hill. If we did that route next year- we could stop off overnight somewhere between Bristol & Brum, then head up towards Beamish the following day, which I guess would be about 300 miles.

cheers,
Neil & Stephanie
I'm really sorry to hear about Honey, I think she enjoyed this year's trip as much as we did.

Glad to see that you'll both be joining us again, and it's good to see that you're enjoying the Minor.

I'll pencil in Beamish as a possible stopping off point.
Judge
Minor Legend

Re: 2008 LEO (Lands End to Orkney) Run

Post by Judge »

[quote="mal"]Bill, if you do decide to include Beamish in next years LEO, I and possibly a few other classics would certainly meet up there for the day. If you give me a bit of warning nearer the time, I'll see if I can fix something up for a photo shoot of your own cars etc; in the main street, this would of course mean staying there until the public leave after 4.30.... well worth it though, and I've never found it a problem as you can't see the whole place in a day anyway. I know it's early days but could add a bit of interest and worth considering :wink:

I will certainly try to include Beamish Mal, and it would be great to meet up with you and some other 'classics' :wink: :lol: You could even buy me that pint :lol:
Judge
Minor Legend

Post by Judge »

Matt wrote:Count me in :) How many days does it typically run over?
Is that a definite Matt :-? This years 'fixed time' was four days, but you have to add to that the time to get to Lands End and then back from Orkney. Next years will depend on the route taken and the places visited on the way.
Judge
Minor Legend

Post by Judge »

alex_holden wrote: I'm interested in going on the LEO again if the route is sufficiently different to make it interesting (and preferably less motorways), but I can't make a firm commitment this far out.
I will try to make the route as varied as possible, and include as many interesting stop off points as feasible. However you must appreciate that some people will have time constraints etc.

I think that with holidays, and that is basically what this is, you need to make a commitment as early as possible if they are to be a success.
Judge
Minor Legend

Post by Judge »

Right, role call time.

Definites
Judge & Mrs Judge
Bobbins & Onne
RogerRust
Neil & Stephanie

Possibles
Alex
Matt
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

That is a definate provided something stupid doesnt happen... like a meteorite hitting the car ;)

Lands end is easily less than a day away :) Orkney is a bit further though!
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
Welung666
Minor Legend

Post by Welung666 »

Judge wrote:Right, role call time.
Definites
Judge & Mrs Judge
Bobbins & Onne
RogerRust
Neil & Stephanie